Real Estate Agent · Shreveport, LA · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
I got a great deal for a higher end home(est.30k equity at the buy), but the seller didn’t take the time to fill out property disclosure correctly or lied about a leak he previously had in the home. Appears that he redone the ceiling and moisture damage in baseboards). There is also a stair case crack on the brick exterior(no interior cracking). Should I back out of this great deal to be safe? I’ve bought a house with a bad foundation and it’s a pain.
If it were me I would absolutely stay away from a bad foundation and leave that to somebody who really knows what they’re doing. But has an inspector or foundation contractor said it truly is a bad foundation? These inspection issues don’t scream that to me.
I got a great deal for a higher end home(est.30k equity at the buy), but the seller didn’t take the time to fill out property disclosure correctly or lied about a leak he previously had in the home. Appears that he redone the ceiling and moisture damage in baseboards). There is also a stair case crack on the brick exterior(no interior cracking). Should I back out of this great deal to be safe? I’ve bought a house with a bad foundation and it’s a pain.
If the damage has been adequately repaired, why would you walk away? Ask yourself if the damage affects the long term ‘hold-ability’ of the property? Accidents happen… you repair them and move on. If anything wasn’t done totally well, I always see those as negotiating points to leverage a better price. At the end of the day you have to decide “is the deal worth it?” A little damage has never driven me away from a deal. Even something like termites… you inspect it, treat it, and move on (as long as the damage isn’t major.
The water damage is a negotiation point as it can be permanently fixed. I’m getting a foundation specialist to go out and assess the damage, but their best interest is getting my future business - not advising against a house with settling problems. What do you think?