How do you keep track of properties from MLS?

How do you keep track of properties from MLS?

Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes

I am curious how some of the investors keep an eye on the MLS properties?

I personally use a combination of tools.

I used Coldwell Banker's web site FloridaMoves.com and set up several searches, usually by zip codes because that tends to be the most granular and that allows me to pick off various "neighbors" I want to focus on. I then set up daily email alerts for new listings, price adjustments etc...

I would then review the daily email and look up those that I am curious about using a bunch of other web sites, Trulia, Zillow, Realtor etc etc etc...

I originally selected FloridaMoves.com because it was fairly quickly updated unlike zillow and others seems to be 3 days behind. However, FloridaMoves.com seem to be very buggy lately and the email alerts no longer works. Besides, one really annoying thing about FloridaMoves is it does not allow you to add custom comments for each property you saved or to sort / organize them.

I wonder what sites you all use. Realtor.com?

Any other site that will allow you to set up custom searches, and save those searches, and provides UP TO DATE daily email alerts and links, and if you save a list of properties it will allow you to organize and sort those properties and attach comments?

1Reply
40 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Howey in the Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 376 posts · 114 votes
    12y

    Sounds like you need to get your real estate license so you can access the MLS!

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    12y

    I set up the same sort of service with Prudential. Have used it for years but recently the link is broken. I still get email alerts but I need to go to realtor.com for an expanded listing.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Sam Leon

    We have a realtor with whom we regularly work - he knows what we want and gives us a heads-up of properties that may interest us.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    I don't have a RE license.

    The problem is not DOING the search. There are many sites that farms the MLS, some are quickly updated, some lag behind.

    However, I don't want to do a search and come back with 1300 properties and look through them all. I only want to see what's newly listed and price changed since yesterday...that way if I keep current I only need to browse a small list on a daily basis. If I go away on vacation for a week, I only have to look through 7 days worth of email alerts when I get back.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Sam ... that's why we work with a realtor ... not only does he only bring us properties that meet our criteria, but we frequently get the info before the listing gets published (to the public) on MLS.

  • Real Estate Broker · Orange, CA · Member since 2008 · 380 posts · 87 votes
    12y

    Most local MLS systems have a public access just contact your local board of realtors. You have many of the tools agents do and can set up your own alerts without all the spam form the housing portals. Also the data is real time so you'll be first on the notifications and have listing agent contact info so no guessing who the listing agent is. For example in Sacramento the local MLS is http://www.metrolistpro.com/

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    redfin.com is what I use if you don't have direct broker-access MLS. You can set search criteria for whatever you want, including zip codes, cities, price ranges, type of property (SFR, condo, 2-4, land etc), etc. You can also set it to only include new/price change/pending, etc. Registration is free. You can also favorite it to put it on an internal list of yours, or put private notes & pics on the listing. Another way is just to get a friendly agent who's willing to give you their login & pw to their MLS so you can see the "private remarks" also.

    Best I've found so far, if they're in your area.. Good luck! And happy hunting!

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Marian Smith:
    I set up the same sort of service with Prudential. Have used it for years but recently the link is broken. I still get email alerts but I need to go to realtor.com for an expanded listing.

    I just tried Realtor.com again.

    I gave up.

    First, it's incredibly slow. It's sheer madness how slow and inefficient that site is. I am not even talking about doing complex searches, I am talking about simple navigation. It seems to be designed and implemented by clueless people.

    But worst yet, I set up six custom searches. Saved them, and ran those six searches. I went through the results of each search and saved off potential properties. After 2-3 hours of going through pages after pages of listing, somehow my saved searches have reverted to ZERO and my saved properties also reverted to ZERO. You have got to be kidding me.

    I decided that I needed to inform their customer service or tech support. So I went around looking for it, all they had was a FAQ and a Contact Us. I hit Contact Us and it redirected me to Move.com, and on their there is a Contact Form, and you MUST choose why you are contacting them. There is no choice for Realtor.com issues, only Move.com issues.

    I am disgusted. Will try Redfin tomorrow.

  • Realtor · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2011 · 289 posts · 118 votes
    12y
    Get a license or call a broker to set up specific searches that will email you daily, every other day, weekly, etc. I know exactly what I am shopping for so all my searches are bookmarked by street name, amount of bedrooms, etc. By the way, it's too my understanding that a lot of those other sites that use IDX for MLS aren't always up to date and you can't always tell if something is pending or what have you. Just my two sense as a broker, good luck.
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    12y

    This is not my day job so I doubt I will get a license just so I can do searches on the MLS.

    ...and this is more than just searches, its also efficient navigation and organization with the results.

    Once upon a time I did have an agent set up searches and emailed me daily. That didn't work, the email contained a list of drop down options with each property being one option, then he tried something else and got me another format which contained a list with each one that says "view". So a list of 28 properties came with 28 identical words saying "view" and you click each one to see details. I started looking for other ways. Besides, my searches are pretty specific, depending on areas and specific for each areas, and I tweak them from time to time, its just too much hassle to burden someone with that.

    Some sites are behind. Zillow, Trulia, Movoto are late by multiple days.

    FloridaMoves.com, Realtor.com are much more updated but their user interface seem to have been done with software contractors who have little experience with this domain.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    See if any brokers in your area use Listingbook and get set up there. You can customize your own MLS searches and get daily updates of new listings. We use it here and I know brokers in Southwest Fla use it also.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    I always advise anyone who is doing MLS deals to go ahead and become a Realtor. But, if you won't do that, have a local Realtor to set up an automatic search and email for you directly from their MLS account. That will be the most current and up to date.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    I realize that this thread is really out of date, but just wanted to add my 2 cents for anyone else searching through this info - Redfin.com is updated within 15 minutes of any changes on the MLS, so there's no lag-time issues like those other sites. You can save homes as your favorites (and get auto updates on those homes) and also get alerts from saved searches. I haven't, however, figured out how to add personal notes about the homes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.