Just got a 50+ unit portfolio under contract, next steps?

Just got a 50+ unit portfolio under contract, next steps?

Andrew FreedBusiness Member
Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

A couple GPs and I just got a 50+ unit portfolio under contract. We aren't new investors (we own about 60 units combined), but this is by far our largest acquisiton. What are some of the top due diligence items you would do on a portfolio this size? We appreciate the insight. 

1Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Bob S.:
Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
Quote from @Andrew Freed:

@Bob S. - Yes, we have 60 units across all of us but all of them are 2-6 unit properties, smaller stuff. I suppose it's the same due diligence but its almost double our portfolio in one deal. Just a ton of stuff to tackle and aiming to get insight from other people who have done due diligence on a larger deal like this. 


That's the issue when you buy a portfolio. There are no real shortcuts. You'll have to pay for 50+ inspections, which means multiple inspectors and then read 50+ reports and negotiate them. The only way to streamline is to inspect 10 units full and the rest high level (the big ticket items: foundation, roof, windows etc) and then extrapolate to the full portfolio. But when you look at the potential risks, you are quickly back to 100% inspection.


 Inspection reports? Hmm I have done 100s and 100s and 100s never getting an inspection. Heck I have purchased many without ever getting inside.  IMO  if you need an inspector to tell you what's needed, well you should not be in the business. We walk props in 20 min , gather our numbers, make and offer can close. 

All the best 


That's good for you Bob. But obviously Andrew has not done 100s and 100s of deals. And even you got started at some point and did not have the necessary experience. Did anyone tell you, you didn't belong in the biz? We all started as noobs, we had a lot of help along the way and now we are paying it forward. 

Frankly I still learn new stuff every time I attend an inspection, and heck, I have two engineering degrees and attended and negotiated more home inspections than I can count over the last 10 years; so personally I am satisfied with my own inspection, but for anyone who does not have the experience (yet), it's better to hire a pro.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    A couple GPs and I just got a 50+ unit portfolio under contract. We aren't new investors (we own about 60 units combined), but this is by far our largest acquisiton. What are some of the top due diligence items you would do on a portfolio this size? We appreciate the insight. 


     Are these single family assets, what type of product are they? Where are they located?

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    A couple GPs and I just got a 50+ unit portfolio under contract. We aren't new investors (we own about 60 units combined), but this is by far our largest acquisiton. What are some of the top due diligence items you would do on a portfolio this size? We appreciate the insight. 


     I am confused, you already have 60 units and you're asking what to do hmm..... really not sure what else to say but close. 

  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Chris Seveney- The units are across twelve properties and in Massachusetts. They are multifamily ranging from a 3 to 8 units each.

  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Bob S. - Yes, we have 60 units across all of us but all of them are 2-6 unit properties, smaller stuff. I suppose it's the same due diligence but its almost double our portfolio in one deal. Just a ton of stuff to tackle and aiming to get insight from other people who have done due diligence on a larger deal like this. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    @Bob S. - Yes, we have 60 units across all of us but all of them are 2-6 unit properties, smaller stuff. I suppose it's the same due diligence but its almost double our portfolio in one deal. Just a ton of stuff to tackle and aiming to get insight from other people who have done due diligence on a larger deal like this. 


     Its the same DD just more of it LOL, Stop overthinking. If the numbers make sense to you, close.  When I bought my 81 unit, I did the same DD as when I bought a SF, its all the same 

    Good luck 

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    @Bob S. - Yes, we have 60 units across all of us but all of them are 2-6 unit properties, smaller stuff. I suppose it's the same due diligence but its almost double our portfolio in one deal. Just a ton of stuff to tackle and aiming to get insight from other people who have done due diligence on a larger deal like this. 


    That's the issue when you buy a portfolio. There are no real shortcuts. You'll have to pay for 50+ inspections, which means multiple inspectors and then read 50+ reports and negotiate them. The only way to streamline is to inspect 10 units full and the rest high level (the big ticket items: foundation, roof, windows etc) and then extrapolate to the full portfolio. But when you look at the potential risks, you are quickly back to 100% inspection.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    @Bob S. - Yes, we have 60 units across all of us but all of them are 2-6 unit properties, smaller stuff. I suppose it's the same due diligence but its almost double our portfolio in one deal. Just a ton of stuff to tackle and aiming to get insight from other people who have done due diligence on a larger deal like this. 


    That's the issue when you buy a portfolio. There are no real shortcuts. You'll have to pay for 50+ inspections, which means multiple inspectors and then read 50+ reports and negotiate them. The only way to streamline is to inspect 10 units full and the rest high level (the big ticket items: foundation, roof, windows etc) and then extrapolate to the full portfolio. But when you look at the potential risks, you are quickly back to 100% inspection.


     Inspection reports? Hmm I have done 100s and 100s and 100s never getting an inspection. Heck I have purchased many without ever getting inside.  IMO  if you need an inspector to tell you what's needed, well you should not be in the business. We walk props in 20 min , gather our numbers, make and offer can close. 

    All the best 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2023 · 161 posts · 52 votes
    3y

    I'd make sure you have property management in order. One that can handle that size of portfolio. 

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    at least do system inspection (Roof, foundation, hvac/heating, plumbing, electric)

    You may consider skipping inspection for minor stuff like kitchen cabinets, ...

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Walk every unit with an ipad, make written notes and pics of what each unit needs re upgrades--match that to remaining rental contract length.

    Have a professional inspection done, with a sewer cam, also be aware if anti backflow devices have been installed, and where they are at (exactly where they are at).

    Pay attention to the electrical system in the inspectors report.

    Walk the entire lot with the ipad and make written and pic notes of things you must improve, want to improve.

    You will need to have fixup dollars estimated for the needed repairs and upgrades.

    You may have to pay a General Contractor to walk with you to give you estimates.

    That's just a few things off the top of my head--there are many more.

    Good Luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Salem, MA · Member since 2014 · 114 posts · 78 votes
    3y

    Hey @Andrew Freed

    No advice from me, just a huge congratulations!! Hope it all works out, you're crushing it!

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 531 posts · 266 votes
    3y

    Do the numbers currently work on each property? Since this is a portfolio, I assume there are some winners in there as well as some losers. I would make sure that you fully understand the risks of the losers. Who was managing the properties? You could find out a lot from this person. I would find out as much about the seller as possible. What was their motivation to selling? Are there outstanding code violations on any of the properties? Have insurance claims been filed? What is the crime like in each of the areas? Look closely at vacancy rates and rent rolls. 

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    A couple GPs and I just got a 50+ unit portfolio under contract. We aren't new investors (we own about 60 units combined), but this is by far our largest acquisiton. What are some of the top due diligence items you would do on a portfolio this size? We appreciate the insight. 


     The insurance will need to be quoted out based on 2023 rates, and anything your lender may require.  The worst I have seen this year is the buyers insurance was 3x what the seller listed.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Just curious, what is your financing looking like on these (if you don't mind sharing, I've been looking into something similar here and financing has been tricky, to say the least...)? 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    With an apartment community, the PMs contractors would usually handle this but that's not your situation.  I recommend talking with your home inspector and have a defined scope engagement to inspect the roof and mechanicals with a basic Word doc write up of issues.  The broker, inspector, and I walked the units together.  There was a lot of down time for me but we knocked it out real time on the spot.  I've done this before and I think the cost was around $50 per unit (and the seller concessions based on the findings paid for it many times over).

  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Steve K. - Still get quotes, but we are aiming for 20-25% down @ a 5.75% 30 year amortization, 7 year ARM with about $250K of seller credits. We will ask for the first 12 months to be interest only and perhaps construction funds if desired.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    @Steve K. - Still get quotes, but we are aiming for 20-25% down @ a 5.75% 30 year amortization, 7 year ARM with about $250K of seller credits. We will ask for the first 12 months to be interest only and perhaps construction funds if desired.


    Wow, we're looking at 40-50% down, ~8%, 5 or 10 yr ARM, ammed over 30, P and I only.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    @Bob S. - Yes, we have 60 units across all of us but all of them are 2-6 unit properties, smaller stuff. I suppose it's the same due diligence but its almost double our portfolio in one deal. Just a ton of stuff to tackle and aiming to get insight from other people who have done due diligence on a larger deal like this. 


    That's the issue when you buy a portfolio. There are no real shortcuts. You'll have to pay for 50+ inspections, which means multiple inspectors and then read 50+ reports and negotiate them. The only way to streamline is to inspect 10 units full and the rest high level (the big ticket items: foundation, roof, windows etc) and then extrapolate to the full portfolio. But when you look at the potential risks, you are quickly back to 100% inspection.


     Inspection reports? Hmm I have done 100s and 100s and 100s never getting an inspection. Heck I have purchased many without ever getting inside.  IMO  if you need an inspector to tell you what's needed, well you should not be in the business. We walk props in 20 min , gather our numbers, make and offer can close. 

    All the best 


    That's good for you Bob. But obviously Andrew has not done 100s and 100s of deals. And even you got started at some point and did not have the necessary experience. Did anyone tell you, you didn't belong in the biz? We all started as noobs, we had a lot of help along the way and now we are paying it forward. 

    Frankly I still learn new stuff every time I attend an inspection, and heck, I have two engineering degrees and attended and negotiated more home inspections than I can count over the last 10 years; so personally I am satisfied with my own inspection, but for anyone who does not have the experience (yet), it's better to hire a pro.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    @Bob S. - Yes, we have 60 units across all of us but all of them are 2-6 unit properties, smaller stuff. I suppose it's the same due diligence but its almost double our portfolio in one deal. Just a ton of stuff to tackle and aiming to get insight from other people who have done due diligence on a larger deal like this. 


    That's the issue when you buy a portfolio. There are no real shortcuts. You'll have to pay for 50+ inspections, which means multiple inspectors and then read 50+ reports and negotiate them. The only way to streamline is to inspect 10 units full and the rest high level (the big ticket items: foundation, roof, windows etc) and then extrapolate to the full portfolio. But when you look at the potential risks, you are quickly back to 100% inspection.


     Inspection reports? Hmm I have done 100s and 100s and 100s never getting an inspection. Heck I have purchased many without ever getting inside.  IMO  if you need an inspector to tell you what's needed, well you should not be in the business. We walk props in 20 min , gather our numbers, make and offer can close. 

    All the best 


    That's good for you Bob. But obviously Andrew has not done 100s and 100s of deals. And even you got started at some point and did not have the necessary experience. Did anyone tell you, you didn't belong in the biz? We all started as noobs, we had a lot of help along the way and now we are paying it forward. 

    Frankly I still learn new stuff every time I attend an inspection, and heck, I have two engineering degrees and attended and negotiated more home inspections than I can count over the last 10 years; so personally I am satisfied with my own inspection, but for anyone who does not have the experience (yet), it's better to hire a pro.


     He has done 60, so I would say he is experienced .YES 100% if you do not have any experience get an inspection OR have your team member walk it.  The post does not make sense to me. He is asking what to do when he already purchases 60,,,,,

    All the best 

  • Nicholas D.Pro Member
    Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 39 votes
    3y

    @Andrew Freed

    Congratulations! By chance is this portfolio located in the Southeast Southcoast portion of MA?

  • Nicholas D.Pro Member
    Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 39 votes
    3y
  • Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 45 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
    Quote from @Andrew Freed:

    @Bob S. - Yes, we have 60 units across all of us but all of them are 2-6 unit properties, smaller stuff. I suppose it's the same due diligence but its almost double our portfolio in one deal. Just a ton of stuff to tackle and aiming to get insight from other people who have done due diligence on a larger deal like this. 


    That's the issue when you buy a portfolio. There are no real shortcuts. You'll have to pay for 50+ inspections, which means multiple inspectors and then read 50+ reports and negotiate them. The only way to streamline is to inspect 10 units full and the rest high level (the big ticket items: foundation, roof, windows etc) and then extrapolate to the full portfolio. But when you look at the potential risks, you are quickly back to 100% inspection.


     Inspection reports? Hmm I have done 100s and 100s and 100s never getting an inspection. Heck I have purchased many without ever getting inside.  IMO  if you need an inspector to tell you what's needed, well you should not be in the business. We walk props in 20 min , gather our numbers, make and offer can close. 

    All the best 


     we are all very impressed.

  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Nicholas D. - No it is not. 

  • Nicholas D.Pro Member
    Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 39 votes
    3y

    @Andrew Freed ah I see, either way Congrats on the big contract and doubling the portfolio!

    Also enjoyed listening to the Podcast, its refreshing seeing/hearing people talk about properties that we typically see in our area....small multifamily early 20th century balloon-frame builds.

  • Andrew FreedBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · Worcester, MA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Nicholas D. - Thanks Nick, we work with what we got in the Northeast lol. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.