Would love some Floridian Advice!

Would love some Floridian Advice!

Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes

Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...

3Reply
129 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y

I've lived and worked in the Tampa Bay area for 27 years now, but I just returned from your neck of the woods. I absolutely love visiting Northern California. Like a lot of State's, Florida and California are really diverse with different people and markets. Think of Miami as LA. That's about where the comparison ends. Orlando is heavily tourism driven...it's got the hotel rooms and convention traffic like Vegas without the gambling and neon. The Space Coast is a bit more laid back (Jacksonville down to Vero Beach). SW Florida...Naples up to Sarasota...is very quiet with a slower lifestyle, but the Fort Myers area has been slammed with hurricanes and the real estate market is active right now (for better or worse) with people trying to capitalize on that. The Tampa Bay area feels a bit more "corporate" while the Panhandle has nice beaches, but tends to have a lifestyle closer to that of Southern Alabama. It's really, really different...like California. That being said, we have a the highest net positive migration in the country right now, but housing starts have not kept up. We sorely need housing that the lower-middle-class can afford, but the profit margins tend to be with the higher-end housing. We've been lending, building, and investing in the Tampa Bay market for many years and have a very strong understanding of the market. We've seen the ups and the downs and understand when to pounce on a deal and when to walk. I wouldn't be scared of Florida, but I would take some time to get to know the place and make sure you have strong "boots on the ground" that really knows the area before committing a lot of capital. 

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...


     Hey no.   I know it very well I live just north of Palm Beach. I know the market from At Augustine - Miami ( I just spend 3 days in Key Biscayne) would not touch it. I also know the market from Ft Meyers to Tarpan Springs, its ALL overpriced. Are you wanting to flip to end user or hold for rentals? Either way will be very difficult to make any real money. I live here but do all my business in Cleveland. 

    All he best 

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I've lived and worked in the Tampa Bay area for 27 years now, but I just returned from your neck of the woods. I absolutely love visiting Northern California. Like a lot of State's, Florida and California are really diverse with different people and markets. Think of Miami as LA. That's about where the comparison ends. Orlando is heavily tourism driven...it's got the hotel rooms and convention traffic like Vegas without the gambling and neon. The Space Coast is a bit more laid back (Jacksonville down to Vero Beach). SW Florida...Naples up to Sarasota...is very quiet with a slower lifestyle, but the Fort Myers area has been slammed with hurricanes and the real estate market is active right now (for better or worse) with people trying to capitalize on that. The Tampa Bay area feels a bit more "corporate" while the Panhandle has nice beaches, but tends to have a lifestyle closer to that of Southern Alabama. It's really, really different...like California. That being said, we have a the highest net positive migration in the country right now, but housing starts have not kept up. We sorely need housing that the lower-middle-class can afford, but the profit margins tend to be with the higher-end housing. We've been lending, building, and investing in the Tampa Bay market for many years and have a very strong understanding of the market. We've seen the ups and the downs and understand when to pounce on a deal and when to walk. I wouldn't be scared of Florida, but I would take some time to get to know the place and make sure you have strong "boots on the ground" that really knows the area before committing a lot of capital. 

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done..

    Hi @Dana A. I am a realtor and investor (with 9 doors) in south Florida. There is still money to be made in south Florida flips. I am eyeing some myself. I am most familiar w/ Fort Lauderdale and Miami areas and to a decent extent in Palm Beach. I was just out there in the bay area in January, it is either scary or insanely expensive haha. If you'd like to chat about south Florida, I would be happy to help.

  • Realtor · Gulf Shores, AL · Member since 2020 · 153 posts · 76 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...

    Hey Dana, if you would be interested in hearing more about Gulf Shores, AL and why it is ranked in the top 10 for best cities to buy a beach home in by CNBC, Fox Business, Southern Living, the National Association of Realtors, Travel & Leisure, and many more, I would love to connect. Please reach out!


    -Ben Scarborough
  • Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ray Hage:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done..

    Hi @Dana A. I am a realtor and investor (with 9 doors) in south Florida. There is still money to be made in south Florida flips. I am eyeing some myself. I am most familiar w/ Fort Lauderdale and Miami areas and to a decent extent in Palm Beach. I was just out there in the bay area in January, it is either scary or insanely expensive haha. If you'd like to chat about south Florida, I would be happy to help.


     Insane is right. The next town over from me is Atherton. It'll cost you between 7 & 8m for a 1 acre lot (but you can build a 35-45m home) Crazy! Initially I'd like to get to know the best market to mirror my business model in. Preferably higher end homes. Invest in a modest place for me to live and hopefully upgrade at a later date and rent that out. Once a network is built, and I know the lay of the land, eventually work into flipping...

  • Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...


     Hey no.   I know it very well I live just north of Palm Beach. I know the market from At Augustine - Miami ( I just spend 3 days in Key Biscayne) would not touch it. I also know the market from Ft Meyers to Tarpan Springs, its ALL overpriced. Are you wanting to flip to end user or hold for rentals? Either way will be very difficult to make any real money. I live here but do all my business in Cleveland. 

    All he best 


     Where would you buy right now?

  • Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Doug Smith:

    I've lived and worked in the Tampa Bay area for 27 years now, but I just returned from your neck of the woods. I absolutely love visiting Northern California. Like a lot of State's, Florida and California are really diverse with different people and markets. Think of Miami as LA. That's about where the comparison ends. Orlando is heavily tourism driven...it's got the hotel rooms and convention traffic like Vegas without the gambling and neon. The Space Coast is a bit more laid back (Jacksonville down to Vero Beach). SW Florida...Naples up to Sarasota...is very quiet with a slower lifestyle, but the Fort Myers area has been slammed with hurricanes and the real estate market is active right now (for better or worse) with people trying to capitalize on that. The Tampa Bay area feels a bit more "corporate" while the Panhandle has nice beaches, but tends to have a lifestyle closer to that of Southern Alabama. It's really, really different...like California. That being said, we have a the highest net positive migration in the country right now, but housing starts have not kept up. We sorely need housing that the lower-middle-class can afford, but the profit margins tend to be with the higher-end housing. We've been lending, building, and investing in the Tampa Bay market for many years and have a very strong understanding of the market. We've seen the ups and the downs and understand when to pounce on a deal and when to walk. I wouldn't be scared of Florida, but I would take some time to get to know the place and make sure you have strong "boots on the ground" that really knows the area before committing a lot of capital. 


     Where would you say most of your lending goes for upper-end homes? I'm trying to figure out where the developers (hence middle to upper class buyers) are putting their money. 

  • Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ben Scarborough:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...

    Hey Dana, if you would be interested in hearing more about Gulf Shores, AL and why it is ranked in the top 10 for best cities to buy a beach home in by CNBC, Fox Business, Southern Living, the National Association of Realtors, Travel & Leisure, and many more, I would love to connect. Please reach out!


    -Ben Scarborough

     Thank you Ben, but unfortunately AL is not on my radar... Neither is Northern Florida for the most part...

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...


     Hey no.   I know it very well I live just north of Palm Beach. I know the market from At Augustine - Miami ( I just spend 3 days in Key Biscayne) would not touch it. I also know the market from Ft Meyers to Tarpan Springs, its ALL overpriced. Are you wanting to flip to end user or hold for rentals? Either way will be very difficult to make any real money. I live here but do all my business in Cleveland. 

    All he best 


     Where would you buy right now?

    Midwest  ( if you are cash ) is where I have seen the highest overall returns for the last 10 years, with low price points.
    All the best 
  • Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...


     Hey no.   I know it very well I live just north of Palm Beach. I know the market from At Augustine - Miami ( I just spend 3 days in Key Biscayne) would not touch it. I also know the market from Ft Meyers to Tarpan Springs, its ALL overpriced. Are you wanting to flip to end user or hold for rentals? Either way will be very difficult to make any real money. I live here but do all my business in Cleveland. 

    All he best 


     Where would you buy right now?

    Midwest  ( if you are cash ) is where I have seen the highest overall returns for the last 10 years, with low price points.
    All the best 

     I meant in Florida... Midwest is not my cup of tea. I'm a costal gal :)

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Doug Smith:

    I've lived and worked in the Tampa Bay area for 27 years now, but I just returned from your neck of the woods. I absolutely love visiting Northern California. Like a lot of State's, Florida and California are really diverse with different people and markets. Think of Miami as LA. That's about where the comparison ends. Orlando is heavily tourism driven...it's got the hotel rooms and convention traffic like Vegas without the gambling and neon. The Space Coast is a bit more laid back (Jacksonville down to Vero Beach). SW Florida...Naples up to Sarasota...is very quiet with a slower lifestyle, but the Fort Myers area has been slammed with hurricanes and the real estate market is active right now (for better or worse) with people trying to capitalize on that. The Tampa Bay area feels a bit more "corporate" while the Panhandle has nice beaches, but tends to have a lifestyle closer to that of Southern Alabama. It's really, really different...like California. That being said, we have a the highest net positive migration in the country right now, but housing starts have not kept up. We sorely need housing that the lower-middle-class can afford, but the profit margins tend to be with the higher-end housing. We've been lending, building, and investing in the Tampa Bay market for many years and have a very strong understanding of the market. We've seen the ups and the downs and understand when to pounce on a deal and when to walk. I wouldn't be scared of Florida, but I would take some time to get to know the place and make sure you have strong "boots on the ground" that really knows the area before committing a lot of capital. 


     Where would you say most of your lending goes for upper-end homes? I'm trying to figure out where the developers (hence middle to upper class buyers) are putting their money. 


     It's really all over. Our connections and thus, most of our referral sources are in the Tampa Bay market, but there are affluent pockets all over the state...particularly the coastal areas. We're not as connected in the Miami MSA, so we don't do much there. There is a lot of $ there, but it we're 4 hours from there and I can't really speak to the specifics of the market. Sarasota is a bit slower and retirement oriented, but there's a lot of $ there. Naples is super wealthy and laid back. The Tampa Bay market is families, corporate, and military with very wealthy pockets and middle class pockets. Orlando is very dependent upon tourism, but has very wealthy pockets. The MSAs all have their affluent, middle class, and working class areas. We know the Tampa Bay market the best. I wish I could say one is better than the other, but I can't. I think it depends upon your tastes. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...


     Hey no.   I know it very well I live just north of Palm Beach. I know the market from At Augustine - Miami ( I just spend 3 days in Key Biscayne) would not touch it. I also know the market from Ft Meyers to Tarpan Springs, its ALL overpriced. Are you wanting to flip to end user or hold for rentals? Either way will be very difficult to make any real money. I live here but do all my business in Cleveland. 

    All he best 


     Where would you buy right now?

    Midwest  ( if you are cash ) is where I have seen the highest overall returns for the last 10 years, with low price points.
    All the best 

     I meant in Florida... Midwest is not my cup of tea. I'm a costal gal :)

     Nowhere, if there were great deals here |(remember I live here )  I would buy. I do not get out of bed for less that 15%.  I have an old client that ownes about 100 mill in Cape Coral, he says do not buy. Its all overpriced. IMO not a chance to get even 8% net cap here. 

  • Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Doug Smith:
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Doug Smith:

    I've lived and worked in the Tampa Bay area for 27 years now, but I just returned from your neck of the woods. I absolutely love visiting Northern California. Like a lot of State's, Florida and California are really diverse with different people and markets. Think of Miami as LA. That's about where the comparison ends. Orlando is heavily tourism driven...it's got the hotel rooms and convention traffic like Vegas without the gambling and neon. The Space Coast is a bit more laid back (Jacksonville down to Vero Beach). SW Florida...Naples up to Sarasota...is very quiet with a slower lifestyle, but the Fort Myers area has been slammed with hurricanes and the real estate market is active right now (for better or worse) with people trying to capitalize on that. The Tampa Bay area feels a bit more "corporate" while the Panhandle has nice beaches, but tends to have a lifestyle closer to that of Southern Alabama. It's really, really different...like California. That being said, we have a the highest net positive migration in the country right now, but housing starts have not kept up. We sorely need housing that the lower-middle-class can afford, but the profit margins tend to be with the higher-end housing. We've been lending, building, and investing in the Tampa Bay market for many years and have a very strong understanding of the market. We've seen the ups and the downs and understand when to pounce on a deal and when to walk. I wouldn't be scared of Florida, but I would take some time to get to know the place and make sure you have strong "boots on the ground" that really knows the area before committing a lot of capital. 


     Where would you say most of your lending goes for upper-end homes? I'm trying to figure out where the developers (hence middle to upper class buyers) are putting their money. 


     It's really all over. Our connections and thus, most of our referral sources are in the Tampa Bay market, but there are affluent pockets all over the state...particularly the coastal areas. We're not as connected in the Miami MSA, so we don't do much there. There is a lot of $ there, but it we're 4 hours from there and I can't really speak to the specifics of the market. Sarasota is a bit slower and retirement oriented, but there's a lot of $ there. Naples is super wealthy and laid back. The Tampa Bay market is families, corporate, and military with very wealthy pockets and middle class pockets. Orlando is very dependent upon tourism, but has very wealthy pockets. The MSAs all have their affluent, middle class, and working class areas. We know the Tampa Bay market the best. I wish I could say one is better than the other, but I can't. I think it depends upon your tastes. 


     Thank you so much! This was actually very helpful :)

  • Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...


     Hey no.   I know it very well I live just north of Palm Beach. I know the market from At Augustine - Miami ( I just spend 3 days in Key Biscayne) would not touch it. I also know the market from Ft Meyers to Tarpan Springs, its ALL overpriced. Are you wanting to flip to end user or hold for rentals? Either way will be very difficult to make any real money. I live here but do all my business in Cleveland. 

    All he best 


     Where would you buy right now?

    Midwest  ( if you are cash ) is where I have seen the highest overall returns for the last 10 years, with low price points.
    All the best 

     I meant in Florida... Midwest is not my cup of tea. I'm a costal gal :)

     Nowhere, if there were great deals here |(remember I live here )  I would buy. I do not get out of bed for less that 15%.  I have an old client that ownes about 100 mill in Cape Coral, he says do not buy. Its all overpriced. IMO not a chance to get even 8% net cap here. 


     From my experience, just when you think the market can't go up, it does! I'll keep digging.

  • Property Manager · Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 147 posts · 66 votes
    3y

    @Dana A. if you'd like to explore the Tampa Bay area, reach out. I can connect you with some great realtors/investors who can help out finding the deals :)

  • Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Lucie Tighe:

    @Dana A. if you'd like to explore the Tampa Bay area, reach out. I can connect you with some great realtors/investors who can help out finding the deals :)


     Thank you! Will do! :)

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) however I am open to hearing more about other areas you all could recommend. I currently work with investors and developers here in NoCal & SoCal and would like to mirror my business model in Florida. Possibly even start flipping homes myself. Although I love the commissions received here in California as a realtor, I see more opportunity for a more prosperous, healthy and happy life in Florida. It also helps that I have family their too! :)

    With my partners here, I could continue to work both states so my transition shouldn't be super hard. After almost 27 years in CA, I think I am done...


     Hey no.   I know it very well I live just north of Palm Beach. I know the market from At Augustine - Miami ( I just spend 3 days in Key Biscayne) would not touch it. I also know the market from Ft Meyers to Tarpan Springs, its ALL overpriced. Are you wanting to flip to end user or hold for rentals? Either way will be very difficult to make any real money. I live here but do all my business in Cleveland. 

    All he best 


     Where would you buy right now?

    Midwest  ( if you are cash ) is where I have seen the highest overall returns for the last 10 years, with low price points.
    All the best 

     I meant in Florida... Midwest is not my cup of tea. I'm a costal gal :)

     Nowhere, if there were great deals here |(remember I live here )  I would buy. I do not get out of bed for less that 15%.  I have an old client that ownes about 100 mill in Cape Coral, he says do not buy. Its all overpriced. IMO not a chance to get even 8% net cap here. 


     From my experience, just when you think the market can't go up, it does! I'll keep digging.

    You are working much to hard. Just go out of state like 1ks of others. 
    Good luck 
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    This is the most accurate statement on investing in Florida I've seen.  I have a son with autism so I live near NASA where autism rates are high and thus services for him are the best in frankly the Eastern half of the US.  I like the particular community I'm in for now for what he needs, but I will probably choose St. Augustine at some point.  I'll take an aged port in a 200-year-old masonry wine grotto over a margarita at a tiki bar.  Prices are high right now but they are stagnating while rents are continuing to rise.  

    I saw your comment re the Midwest and I get where your mind is at. One thing about the Midwest that is an advantage over Florida is the weather isn't out to destroy everything you own, generally. Even "good" weather here eats everything. Construction has risen to combat that but it still exists. Frankly if you had a modern Florida built house in the Midwest it'd last forever, through tornadoes and all. You might also want to be wary of HOAs. We don't have local zoning like most states. In fact the most recent update to our building code took away a lot of local code authority. What we do have to make up for that is a robust HOA bylaws.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Lucie Tighe:

    @Dana A. if you'd like to explore the Tampa Bay area, reach out. I can connect you with some great realtors/investors who can help out finding the deals :)

    Deals in Tampa area where? I lived in Dunedin for two years. Its currently ridiculous overpriced. Westchase, hmm not a fan seems high as well. Few areas of Fl I am not familiar with. BTW the deals are OFF market, not with a realtor. Go to your local RE meeting see if you can get them there. My understanding is very far and few between with small spreads. Renting, terrible ROI, less then 7% if that . I have a buddy whos a realtor/ investor there. He said there are so few he just keeps them for himself . This is why I continue to do my business in the Midwest.

    All the best,

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Westchase has always been high.  That's because it's awesome there.  Used to live right next to it in Fawn Ridge and went to the Westchase coffee shop all the time.

    Bought my Fawn Ridge house for 185k.  Those were the days.....

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Timothy W.:

    Westchase has always been high.  That's because it's awesome there.  Used to live right next to it in Fawn Ridge and went to the Westchase coffee shop all the time.

    Bought my Fawn Ridge house for 185k.  Those were the days.....


     I had a GF there, so was there often, Not a fan, jsut a concrete jungle, sure " down town" was ok, but IMO crazy high as is all of FL, 

    YEP 185k, I remember LOL

    All the best, 

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @Timothy W.:

    Westchase has always been high.  That's because it's awesome there.  Used to live right next to it in Fawn Ridge and went to the Westchase coffee shop all the time.

    Bought my Fawn Ridge house for 185k.  Those were the days.....


     I had a GF there, so was there often, Not a fan, jsut a concrete jungle, sure " down town" was ok, but IMO crazy high as is all of FL, 

    YEP 185k, I remember LOL

    All the best, 

     Concrete jungle?  Westchase is a golf course community.  Maybe I misunderstood you.  Westwood, right next to it, yeah.  That's the tricky thing about Florida.  You cross the street the neighborhood changes dramatically.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) 

    Crazy thought, have you looked at The Keys or the USVI? It's a different kind of market doing mostly vacation rentals but it's not as unattainable of a price point as you'd think. Lowest priced SFR in the The Keys right now is 350k. I had to stay in St Croix for a couple weeks for hurricane recovery and there's a Home Depot right there so that tells me managing a property wouldn't be impossible. Check out the one for sale at 38 S Slob Eb in Christiansted, VI. It's pending but at 495 it's not crazy. Needs a repaint bad. That view though is INSANE and it's on half an acre overlooking the ocean. You'd be like a Bond villain on that porch, lol. I will tell you thought the construction force is on island time, lol. However, if you have to put in the time to check on your investment, it may as well be awesome.

  • Real Estate Agent · West Hollywood, CA · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 17 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Timothy W.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) 

    Crazy thought, have you looked at The Keys or the USVI? It's a different kind of market doing mostly vacation rentals but it's not as unattainable of a price point as you'd think. Lowest priced SFR in the The Keys right now is 350k. I had to stay in St Croix for a couple weeks for hurricane recovery and there's a Home Depot right there so that tells me managing a property wouldn't be impossible. Check out the one for sale at 38 S Slob Eb in Christiansted, VI. It's pending but at 495 it's not crazy. Needs a repaint bad. That view though is INSANE and it's on half an acre overlooking the ocean. You'd be like a Bond villain on that porch, lol. I will tell you thought the construction force is on island time, lol. However, if you have to put in the time to check on your investment, it may as well be awesome.


     That looks like it could be a nice place to live. Unfortunately it's out where the buses don't run lol Airbnb?

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dana A.:
    Quote from @Timothy W.:
    Quote from @Dana A.:

    Hey Everyone! I am looking into the Florida Market (From Palm Beach to Miami) 

    Crazy thought, have you looked at The Keys or the USVI? It's a different kind of market doing mostly vacation rentals but it's not as unattainable of a price point as you'd think. Lowest priced SFR in the The Keys right now is 350k. I had to stay in St Croix for a couple weeks for hurricane recovery and there's a Home Depot right there so that tells me managing a property wouldn't be impossible. Check out the one for sale at 38 S Slob Eb in Christiansted, VI. It's pending but at 495 it's not crazy. Needs a repaint bad. That view though is INSANE and it's on half an acre overlooking the ocean. You'd be like a Bond villain on that porch, lol. I will tell you thought the construction force is on island time, lol. However, if you have to put in the time to check on your investment, it may as well be awesome.


     That looks like it could be a nice place to live. Unfortunately it's out where the buses don't run lol Airbnb?

    Car rental at the airport.  Super easy there.  Just get ready to drive like in Europe, lol.  I always did Airbnb when I went there.  I actually stayed in a place that was on HGTV.  Highly recommend.  The hosts were awesome and gave me some insights on doing vacation rentals on the island.  Here it is:  

    HGTV & People Magazine featured Villa! Large Pool & Best Ocean View on Isle! - Houses for Rent in Christiansted, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands - Airbnb

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.