How to obtain access to the MLS without a RE license

Most Popular Reply

JD MartinBusiness Member
Moderator
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:
Quote from @Account Closed:
Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:

I do not have a realtor license. Currently living in Dallas, TX. Is there a way to get access to the MLS without a realtor license?

 Ask a realtor for help. Won't cost you anything if you're buying property. No reason not to use a professional.


 Don't realtors get annoyed if you ask for a lot of info from several properties and don't buy over a long period of time?


 Realtors get annoyed if you're just milking them for information with no intention of using their services. This is their livelihood - they got educated, paid for their licensing, and work as a professional - so I'm not sure what would make you think anyone would want to give you proprietary information for nothing. 

Skyline Properties
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    You could become an appraiser instead. But tgat involves years to become as opposed to the quicker route of becoming an agent.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    What info do you want from MLS?

    The public sites like realtor.com will have a lot of information.

    If you're looking for sold prices or more specific searches you might try a paid site like MLS IQ or Propelio...or PropHawk. Probalby about 30-$40/month.

  • Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 240 votes
    3y

    @Rigoberto Torres Meza

    Not sure how to get access to the MLS but redfin, realtor and Zillow have tons of info for DFW. Sometimes I don't even need to log in to find out what I need.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2022 · 125 posts · 124 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:

    I do not have a realtor license. Currently living in Dallas, TX. Is there a way to get access to the MLS without a realtor license?

     Ask a realtor for help. Won't cost you anything if you're buying property. No reason not to use a professional.

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Find a realtor who would be willing to make you an unpaid assistant. That'll give you a "read only" access to MLS.

    You may actually help that realtor with something in exchange for MLS access.

  • New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

    What info do you want from MLS?

    The public sites like realtor.com will have a lot of information.

    If you're looking for sold prices or more specific searches you might try a paid site like MLS IQ or Propelio...or PropHawk. Probalby about 30-$40/month.

    Although most deals wouldn't come from a Zillow/Redfin/Realtor.com listing, isn't there a lag between the posting in the MLS and the listings being posted in public websites such as Zillow/Redfin/Realtor.com? I'm assuming as a investor that is getting started, having MLS access gives you a slight upperhand over people that don't, right?
  • New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:

    I do not have a realtor license. Currently living in Dallas, TX. Is there a way to get access to the MLS without a realtor license?

     Ask a realtor for help. Won't cost you anything if you're buying property. No reason not to use a professional.


     Don't realtors get annoyed if you ask for a lot of info from several properties and don't buy over a long period of time?

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:

    I do not have a realtor license. Currently living in Dallas, TX. Is there a way to get access to the MLS without a realtor license?


    There used to be software feature, long time ago, that you could read a "private remark" between agent in MLS NorCal listing. But these software is no longer provide such feature.

    Before, I can download the whole disclosure, without even contactig any REA. Sorry for partial answer, but yes it is possible before.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rob Lee:

    @Rigoberto Torres Meza

    Not sure how to get access to the MLS but redfin, realtor and Zillow have tons of info for DFW. Sometimes I don't even need to log in to find out what I need.


     There're few "hidden" stuffs not being shared in public , for example the disclosure and "agent comments".

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:

    I do not have a realtor license. Currently living in Dallas, TX. Is there a way to get access to the MLS without a realtor license?

     Ask a realtor for help. Won't cost you anything if you're buying property. No reason not to use a professional.


     Don't realtors get annoyed if you ask for a lot of info from several properties and don't buy over a long period of time?


     yes, they get annoyed easily, find one that's "friendly" is bit hard unless you have connection with them ( I do ).

  • Real Estate Broker · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 248 posts · 240 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rob Lee:

    @Rigoberto Torres Meza

    Not sure how to get access to the MLS but redfin, realtor and Zillow have tons of info for DFW. Sometimes I don't even need to log in to find out what I need.

     @Carlos Ptriawan

    yeah I know about the private notes (if there are any) but I guess it just depends on what he needs. 

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:

    I do not have a realtor license. Currently living in Dallas, TX. Is there a way to get access to the MLS without a realtor license?

     Ask a realtor for help. Won't cost you anything if you're buying property. No reason not to use a professional.


     Don't realtors get annoyed if you ask for a lot of info from several properties and don't buy over a long period of time?


     Realtors get annoyed if you're just milking them for information with no intention of using their services. This is their livelihood - they got educated, paid for their licensing, and work as a professional - so I'm not sure what would make you think anyone would want to give you proprietary information for nothing. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:

    I do not have a realtor license. Currently living in Dallas, TX. Is there a way to get access to the MLS without a realtor license?


     Put a great team together.  Real Estate is a TEAM sport.  Get a great realtor, a great lender, a great inspector, a great contractor, a great title company.   Great team members will save you money, get you a better house, and reduce your risk.    None of the services are free unless you are on the team to buy or sell.  You're in construction right, do you always want to give free bids to your realtor or lender, but never get the work?   Has to be a win-win for everyone or there is no deal.

  • Josh YoungPro Member
    Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2023 · 385 posts · 421 votes
    3y

    @Rigoberto Torres Meza have a realtor in your MLS set you up with a "Portal" using your email address and download the FlexMLS for Homebuyers App, it's not going to give you all the private remarks, but it's as close as you can get, it's what I used to do research and also used that realtor to buy properties before I got my license.

  • Real Estate Agent · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 73 votes
    3y

    @Rigoberto Torres Meza Have you tried just googling your local MLS name and seeing if there is free public access? This varies by state and location, but some MLS's allow access to their database in a public facing format vs. realtor format, but it still gives you some good information and current access to what is on the market. Here is an example of one from where I live in Colorado...

    https://my.flexmls.com/grandcountyboardofrealtors/search/idx...

    Best,

    Michael

  • New to Real Estate · Dallas, TX · Member since 2021 · 21 posts · 11 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nick B.:

    Find a realtor who would be willing to make you an unpaid assistant. That'll give you a "read only" access to MLS.

    You may actually help that realtor with something in exchange for MLS access.


     Aside from bringing properties that I want to buy to these realtors, what else can I do?

  • Investor · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:
    Quote from @Nick B.:

    Find a realtor who would be willing to make you an unpaid assistant. That'll give you a "read only" access to MLS.

    You may actually help that realtor with something in exchange for MLS access.


     Aside from bringing properties that I want to buy to these realtors, what else can I do?

    That's something only you can answer :-) 
    In my case, I managed a website for a realtor. 
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2022 · 125 posts · 124 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:

    I do not have a realtor license. Currently living in Dallas, TX. Is there a way to get access to the MLS without a realtor license?

     Ask a realtor for help. Won't cost you anything if you're buying property. No reason not to use a professional.


     Don't realtors get annoyed if you ask for a lot of info from several properties and don't buy over a long period of time?


     If your intention is to actually buy a property they won't get annoyed because a repeat client is worth their time. If you just want to ask questions and have them open doors, yes it is wasting their time. As long as they are aware that you are an investor and what your intentions are there should not be any confusion. I recommend using a realtor who is actually an investor themselves so they know how to run numbers and only send you properties that can cashflow.

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Rigoberto Torres Meza:

    I do not have a realtor license. Currently living in Dallas, TX. Is there a way to get access to the MLS without a realtor license?


     Wait till it pops up on zillow

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.