Good idea to sell without realtor/agent and go fsbo?

Good idea to sell without realtor/agent and go fsbo?

Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 10 votes

Hello

i have a general question ,in the current market conditions is it a good idea to sell primary residence without the help of a sellers agent ,go fsbo to save some on commission fees? Looking forward for answers from experienced members here 

Thanks

2Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Doug SmithPro Member
Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

FSBO sounds like a good idea and many on here will swear by it, but every time I've come up against someone DIYing it, we've gotten tons more than we would have if a good agent was on the other side. I will admit, most real estate agents have no business being in the business, but really, really good ones know the ins and outs of the process, the contracts, and they have the connections to make the transaction smooth. They know which boxes to check, which ones not to check, and they know the tricks. It has been my experience that you save more than you spend if you have a good agent (the word is "good" in this sentence).

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    FSBO sounds like a good idea and many on here will swear by it, but every time I've come up against someone DIYing it, we've gotten tons more than we would have if a good agent was on the other side. I will admit, most real estate agents have no business being in the business, but really, really good ones know the ins and outs of the process, the contracts, and they have the connections to make the transaction smooth. They know which boxes to check, which ones not to check, and they know the tricks. It has been my experience that you save more than you spend if you have a good agent (the word is "good" in this sentence).

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    It depends. FSBO some do very well with it, others struggle to sell. If you do FSBO make sure to do the listings right and not just throw it up for sale. If you do use an agent interview a few, find one that'll work on your behalf. It's not easy as it has been the past few years to sell a property. Market is tighter and buyers are pickier.

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sateesh Kumar:

    Hello

    i have a general question ,in the current market conditions is it a good idea to sell primary residence without the help of a sellers agent ,go fsbo to save some on commission fees? Looking forward for answers from experienced members here 

    Thanks


     I think your biggest hurdle will be finding qualified buyers. Unless you work with a solid lender that will help you cross qualify any potential buyer. But even then, many people will get cold feet in a transaction and may not perform. This is where a solid sales agent will help you out. When you work with someone that does this on a daily basis, there won't be any surprises. If you do it on your own to save on a commission, you might struggle to hold the transaction together. There are many variables and emotions involved in purchasing a home. 

    When you work with a solid Realtor, they will ask you all the right questions to get you the most realistic price, marketing strategy, and take charge of a smooth closing. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Erik Estrada:
    Quote from @Sateesh Kumar:

    Hello

    i have a general question ,in the current market conditions is it a good idea to sell primary residence without the help of a sellers agent ,go fsbo to save some on commission fees? Looking forward for answers from experienced members here 

    Thanks


     I think your biggest hurdle will be finding qualified buyers. Unless you work with a solid lender that will help you cross qualify any potential buyer. But even then, many people will get cold feet in a transaction and may not perform. This is where a solid sales agent will help you out. When you work with someone that does this on a daily basis, there won't be any surprises. If you do it on your own to save on a commission, you might struggle to hold the transaction together. There are many variables and emotions involved in purchasing a home. 

    When you work with a solid Realtor, they will ask you all the right questions to get you the most realistic price, marketing strategy, and take charge of a smooth closing. 

     Thanks this is very helpful. Just one more question I have Tenant is vacating end of December ,is it a good idea to list for sale in January or would it make more sense to wait until summer?

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sateesh Kumar:
    Quote from @Erik Estrada:
    Quote from @Sateesh Kumar:

    Hello

    i have a general question ,in the current market conditions is it a good idea to sell primary residence without the help of a sellers agent ,go fsbo to save some on commission fees? Looking forward for answers from experienced members here 

    Thanks


     I think your biggest hurdle will be finding qualified buyers. Unless you work with a solid lender that will help you cross qualify any potential buyer. But even then, many people will get cold feet in a transaction and may not perform. This is where a solid sales agent will help you out. When you work with someone that does this on a daily basis, there won't be any surprises. If you do it on your own to save on a commission, you might struggle to hold the transaction together. There are many variables and emotions involved in purchasing a home. 

    When you work with a solid Realtor, they will ask you all the right questions to get you the most realistic price, marketing strategy, and take charge of a smooth closing. 


     Thanks this is very helpful. Just one more question I have Tenant is vacating end of December ,it a good idea to list in January or would it make more sense to wait until summer before listing for sale.


     Typically, October-February are the slowest months in Real Estate. But if your home is priced well, and the market is good in your area, it can sell even on the slower months. 

    The market is usually at its peak in the summer time. But these are obviously generalizations so you might want to speak with a well-versed agent in your community about when it would make the most sense to put it up on the market. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 725 posts · 129 votes
    2y

    You can do a flat fee MLS listing ($100-$300), which gives you the marketing exposure of the MLS and all the major portals (Zillow, Redfin, Realtor.com, homes.com, etc) without paying the big commission to a listing agent. You can still offer a commission to buyer agents to incentivize them to bring a buyer.

  • Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Minerick:

    You can do a flat fee MLS listing ($100-$300), which gives you the marketing exposure of the MLS and all the major portals (Zillow, Redfin, Realtor.com, homes.com, etc) without paying the big commission to a listing agent. You can still offer a commission to buyer agents to incentivize them to bring a buyer.

    Thank You! If I choose to go FSBO are there any third party companies who can get me good photographs?
  • Real Estate Broker · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 725 posts · 129 votes
    2y

    @Sateesh Kumar Yes, I'd recommend just using Yelp! to find local real estate photographers.

  • Member since 2023 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    Also I forgot to mention I am getting calls from third party brokers asking me if I am interested to sell for their clients looking for similar homes. I have a certain price target in mind based on sale of similar homes in the neighborhood would it be a good idea to indicate to them that I might consider selling at a particular price point and see where it goes?

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    No.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sateesh Kumar:

    Also I forgot to mention I am getting calls from third party brokers asking me if I am interested to sell for their clients looking for similar homes. I have a certain price target in mind based on sale of similar homes in the neighborhood would it be a good idea to indicate to them that I might consider selling at a particular price point and see where it goes?


    These are questions an agent is best at answering at. Clearly, you're not equipped to do this. That and the photo question, come on. If you're going FBSO, you're at least stating you can do what a basic agent can do.
  • Realtor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 68 votes
    2y

    If you're really trying to avoid paying a professional to sell your home, consider contacting Opendoor. They will make an offer on your home without seeing it and handle all the logistics. Remember this though -  company makes money by offering a discounted price and selling it on the market for more. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    If you are asking, the answer is no. 

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2023 · 1 post · 1 vote
    2y

    Hi, 

    I think it's important to assess the price range you're in. Paying a commission may be worth your peace of mind and time if you find it to be a reasonable amount. 

    Regarding photos, again it's important to assess the price range. For example, most of my flips are around the $350k and below range so I actually take my own photos on my iphone because I've gone the professional route and ended up still using my own. Granted, I am versed in how to adjust the iphone settings and edit appropriately (something you can research). 

    In regards to putting the property up for sale when a tenant lives there - that could be risky. Will the tenant allow showings? Do you have a good rapport with the tenant? How does the tenant keep the property? The last thing you want is for days on the market to creep up due to the tenant.

    Also, I want to caution on a fsbo listing on Zillow. From my experience, buyers need to manually toggle over in the "more" section to see fsbo listings. Most buyers will not know this, therefore your property may not get proper visibility. Back to the price point though, if it's low enough you may gain traction by posting the property in Facebook groups for the town it's in and surrounding towns (yardsale, garage etc). Some may find this unconventional, but I personally have had success with my flips and rentals.

    Good luck in whichever route you choose! 

  • Dominic RosatoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2022 · 82 posts · 61 votes
    2y

    You can try, but just know you would likely be leaving money on the table. The right realtors can provide tremendous value in marketing & negotiations, and through their connections in the real estate community.

    Discount brokers exist, if you’re looking to save money. However, you often will get what you pay for.

  • Dominic RosatoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2022 · 82 posts · 61 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sateesh Kumar:

    Also I forgot to mention I am getting calls from third party brokers asking me if I am interested to sell for their clients looking for similar homes. I have a certain price target in mind based on sale of similar homes in the neighborhood would it be a good idea to indicate to them that I might consider selling at a particular price point and see where it goes?

     And I’d be careful, I’m sure some/all of those calls are wholesalers trying to get your house for pennies on the dollar.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.