Deciding Between Hard Money Loan and Conventional Loan: Need Guidance

Deciding Between Hard Money Loan and Conventional Loan: Need Guidance

Member since 2024 · 37 posts · 3 votes

I found a good deal that I really like for $160K, which has excellent cash flow potential. Initially, I was planning for a quick sale and contacted my private money lender for a hard money loan. My plan was to put down 35% while she would cover the remaining 65%.

However, the seller has requested to be in escrow for 45-60 days so that he can complete a 1031 exchange and use the proceeds to buy another house within that period. Given this new information, I'm considering whether it might make more sense to opt for a conventional loan instead of a hard money loan, due to the lower interest rates associated with conventional loans. Alternatively, I could stick with the hard money loan and refinance into a conventional loan later.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice on this decision.

0Reply
50 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    2y

    If you can get the conventional loan, go for it! It will save you a couple thousand dollars in financing costs. No reason to do this hard money loan if you have a lot of time. Save yourself from the HM rate and points plus the cost of refinancing later.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y

    @Emmanuel Ola

    If you can get a longer term conventional loan I would choose that over a hard money loan every time - this is of course assuming the hard money loan has higher interest rate as well as a shorter maturity date

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2024 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ray Hage:

    If you can get the conventional loan, go for it! It will save you a couple thousand dollars in financing costs. No reason to do this hard money loan if you have a lot of time. Save yourself from the HM rate and points plus the cost of refinancing later.

    Thanks so much for responding. Will tell my agent that I will be switching to conventional. 


  • Member since 2024 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:

    @Emmanuel Ola

    If you can get a longer term conventional loan I would choose that over a hard money loan every time - this is of course assuming the hard money loan has higher interest rate as well as a shorter maturity date


    Thanks so much for responding. Will tell my agent that I will be switching to conventional.

  • Anderson S.Business Member
    Lender · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2024 · 209 posts · 50 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Emmanuel Ola:

    I found a good deal that I really like for $160K, which has excellent cash flow potential. Initially, I was planning for a quick sale and contacted my private money lender for a hard money loan. My plan was to put down 35% while she would cover the remaining 65%.

    However, the seller has requested to be in escrow for 45-60 days so that he can complete a 1031 exchange and use the proceeds to buy another house within that period. Given this new information, I'm considering whether it might make more sense to opt for a conventional loan instead of a hard money loan, due to the lower interest rates associated with conventional loans. Alternatively, I could stick with the hard money loan and refinance into a conventional loan later.

    I would appreciate any suggestions or advice on this decision.


    How did this turn out Emmanuel?

  • Member since 2024 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Anderson S.:
    Quote from @Emmanuel Ola:

    I found a good deal that I really like for $160K, which has excellent cash flow potential. Initially, I was planning for a quick sale and contacted my private money lender for a hard money loan. My plan was to put down 35% while she would cover the remaining 65%.

    However, the seller has requested to be in escrow for 45-60 days so that he can complete a 1031 exchange and use the proceeds to buy another house within that period. Given this new information, I'm considering whether it might make more sense to opt for a conventional loan instead of a hard money loan, due to the lower interest rates associated with conventional loans. Alternatively, I could stick with the hard money loan and refinance into a conventional loan later.

    I would appreciate any suggestions or advice on this decision.


    How did this turn out Emmanuel?


    I eventually used a DSCR loan. Will close in few days.

  • Anderson S.Business Member
    Lender · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2024 · 209 posts · 50 votes
    2y

    Kudos!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.