STR in Inlet Beach/Santa Rosa Beach area (Florida Panhandle)

STR in Inlet Beach/Santa Rosa Beach area (Florida Panhandle)

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes

What do you all think about the Inlet Beach area STR market? Homes south of Hwy 98 are expensive, but those North and closer to Hwy 98 seem to be priced competitively (based on current market conditions) for houses under $1 million.

Here's a scenario, and I would like to hear your opinions, especially from those familiar with Santa Rosa Beach/Inlet beach area in the Florida Panhandle.

I am considering buying a 4 bed /3 bath second home/STR investment property in the 800K range with a rate of 4.5%, and considering a 5-to-10-year hold. This home has never been on rental and is almost a new build and is about ½ mile from the beach even though it is considered north.

However, I am worried about revenues and ROI. For homes in the 800k range and assuming I have managed to get a rate of 4.5% 5-year ARM, it seems like I need to have an annual revenue of at least 85k to barely make positive cash flow. I have assumed 20% rental management fee since I do have the bandwidth to self-manage.

I understand there are a lot of variables but is an annual revenue in the range of 85K achievable in this area and market conditions?

I understand these markets are appreciation-based, but based on the calculations I did, I need at approx.. 5 to 6% average appreciation over a period of 5 years to make this a profitable deal. Is this a good expectation for the market ?

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints or feedback.

0Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Member since 2019 · 250 posts · 219 votes
8mo

@Victor Sebastiar

85k on on a 800k home is likely not going to cash flow, even with that rate unless you are doing extremely low leverage. My general rule of thumb is I like STR's to generate double the purchase price in revenue, which allows you to cash flow in most scenarios. I am not sure where you are finding a 4.5% rate but if your goal is cashflow, there are significantly better locations in FL.

Check out Pinellas county where an 800k property can generate 150k+ in revenue if you theme it out correctly. @Josh Green is a local agent in the area and has a proven track record of helping investors purchase and manage high cash flowing STR's.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Member since 2019 · 250 posts · 219 votes
    8mo

    @Victor Sebastiar

    85k on on a 800k home is likely not going to cash flow, even with that rate unless you are doing extremely low leverage. My general rule of thumb is I like STR's to generate double the purchase price in revenue, which allows you to cash flow in most scenarios. I am not sure where you are finding a 4.5% rate but if your goal is cashflow, there are significantly better locations in FL.

    Check out Pinellas county where an 800k property can generate 150k+ in revenue if you theme it out correctly. @Josh Green is a local agent in the area and has a proven track record of helping investors purchase and manage high cash flowing STR's.

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2019 · 569 posts · 257 votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Victor Sebastiar:

    What do you all think about the Inlet Beach area STR market? Homes south of Hwy 98 are expensive, but those North and closer to Hwy 98 seem to be priced competitively (based on current market conditions) for houses under $1 million.

    Here's a scenario, and I would like to hear your opinions, especially from those familiar with Santa Rosa Beach/Inlet beach area in the Florida Panhandle.

    I am considering buying a 4 bed /3 bath second home/STR investment property in the 800K range with a rate of 4.5%, and considering a 5-to-10-year hold. This home has never been on rental and is almost a new build and is about ½ mile from the beach even though it is considered north.

    However, I am worried about revenues and ROI. For homes in the 800k range and assuming I have managed to get a rate of 4.5% 5-year ARM, it seems like I need to have an annual revenue of at least 85k to barely make positive cash flow. I have assumed 20% rental management fee since I do have the bandwidth to self-manage.

    I understand there are a lot of variables but is an annual revenue in the range of 85K achievable in this area and market conditions?

    I understand these markets are appreciation-based, but based on the calculations I did, I need at approx.. 5 to 6% average appreciation over a period of 5 years to make this a profitable deal. Is this a good expectation for the market ?

    Thanks in advance for any helpful hints or feedback.


     You're playing an equity market in the area. 

    Good entry and tax write offs.

    People are not buying in inlet beach or 30A to prioritize cashflow. 

    Look into PCB or okaloosa island 

  • Josh GreenBusiness Member
    Realtor · Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater/Bradenton · Member since 2020 · 396 posts · 353 votes
    8mo

    Hey Victor,

    Nick is right - there's no way that deal is penciling out by leveraging that much I can guarantee it.  If you have any deals you're considering like this, feel free to DM me and I can happily sanity check your numbers.  I've bought 50+ STRs the last 2 years and own myself. 

    Impact Realty Tampa Bay.4.962 Reviews
    Suncoast Vacation Homes4.959 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.