How can I un-own a property ?

How can I un-own a property ?

Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes

I own an now long since abandoned house in NJ.  There was no mortgage but the taxes and W/S bills now far exceed any possible value of the property.  The town used to clean up the property and then put a lien on the property for the costs.  This proving generally ineffective to their purposes - they have adopted an alternative tactic now.  Now they do nothing but demand that the owner clean up the house, repaint it, and etc.  And then if the owner doesn't do it they issue a 'ticket' - which results in a summons to appear in municipal court, where the judge then revokes the owners driver's license.

My question is:  can I form a land trust or other entity, sell the subject property to the created entity, and then just let them chase that phantom?  Who, after all;  even if they do ever catch them, will not be at all inconvenienced by having it's driving privileges revoked in the state of new jersey.

Or can you all think of any alternative resolution to this issue?

stephen

-------------

0Reply
490 views

Most Popular Reply

Jean BolgerPro Member
Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

@Account Closed that is an uncalled for attack. Have you actually read this thread? do you know the area and the circumstances? To say that this property is unsaleable due to Stephen's being "unaccountable" is to ignore pretty much every relevant detail.

See this reply in the discussion

118 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kern county Riverside County, CA · Member since 2008 · 494 posts · 261 votes
    12y

    @Steven Potter you raise a really good point. In California, only the seller has to notarized and sign a grant deed or qc deed. There is nowhere the buyer signs in order to record the deed.  So I could very easily deed my property to the city, or grandma, or anyone else without their knowledge or permission.  But reading the thread our OP has said that he has quit claimed the property a few times, but they never did the paper work on their side to accept it?  

  • Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Derek W. 

    I read what the OP said to mean that the quit claim deed was never recorded.

    I have never heard of a state where the Grantee is required to sign the deed. 

  • Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
    12y
    I didn't fail to make a profit.  I maintained the property and made a nice profit right up until I decided to walk away from it.  I'm not unaccountable - I was fully willing to give a property with zero encumbrances back to the city of Camden - and I did so.  I am not "sitting on a debt" - taxes and related liens attach to the property and not to me.  I didn't write the laws  - I am just playing by their rules as they exist.

    I am not legally or even morally obligated to pay the city a single dime and have told them so ever since they started this fight.  The law says if I don't pay they can have the house in lieu of payment.  And I agree.

    BTW:  I'll do as I choose - thank you.  Don't get on your preachy high horse with me.

    stephen
    -----------  



     Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    you are sitting on a debt. The liens and such is what you're trying to give away. You make it sound like you're trying to sell or give away  a house when really it's just a debt. Why would or should the city take a debt from you lol. Have fun paying that back. Maybe next time maintain your properties instead of trying to be unaccountable for your properties when u fail to make a profit. 

  • Investor · Kern county Riverside County, CA · Member since 2008 · 494 posts · 261 votes
    12y

    @Stephen S. Can you clarify why you couldn't just record your quit claim deed to someone else and no longer be the owner? 

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Steven Potter:

    @Stephen S. 

    I don't know about NJ, but in MN all you have to do is Create a quit claim deed, deeding the property to whoever you choose.   Record the deed in the county recorders office.   Visit the county assessors office with a copy of the newly recorded deed and update the taxpayer information to the new owners.     In my neck of the woods, you can bequeath your property to anyone for a $46 recording fee.  For a little more money you can have a local title company do it for you.

    It doesn't work that way -- Quit Claim Deeds only have power over those who sign it.  If a Grantee doesn't sign the deed, and refuses to take responsibility for the property, the Grantor still retains all responsibility for his share of ownership.

    Think about it -- if that weren't the case, Stephen could quit claim the property to YOU tomorrow...do you think you'd then be responsible for the liens/encumbrances?

    And just to be clear, Stephen COULD quit claim to you tomorrow, but unless you signed the deed and/or took responsibility for the property, you have no liability.  And for reference, in many states, the Grantee must sign the quit claim deed as well.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Derek W.:

    @Stephen S. Can you clarify why you couldn't just record your quit claim deed to someone else and no longer be the owner? 

    See my post above...it doesn't work that way...

    If it did, wouldn't you be a little concerned that he'll quit claim it to YOU???  :-)

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    12y
    Give it away for free?
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Give it away for free?

    He offered $100 to anyone who would take it.  Do you want it?  Just let him know.  In fact, I bet you could get him up to $200...  :-)

  • Investor · Duluth, MN · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @J Scott 

    Like I said, I have no idea about NJ, but it MN it it definitely possible to bequeath property to someone without their knowledge. 

    Am I concerned about this?   Not not really, because for the same $46 recording fee, I can give the property back.

    In reality it rarely happens because most properties have some value.    However I know of several cases where people no longer want to pay the taxes on a property and quit claim it to the city, county or state.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Steven Potter:

    Like I said, I have no idea about NJ, but it MN it it definitely possible to bequeath property to someone without their knowledge. 

    I'm not arguing that technically a quit claim deed can be recorded without the Grantee signing.   As you indicated, it certainly can be (in some states, not all).

    What I'm saying is that just because you might file that quit claim deed, it doesn't transfer ANY responsibility to the Grantee without his signature and/or consent.  If you file a quit claim of one of your properties to me (without my signature), I don't need to quit claim it back to you in order to avoid the liabilities that come with the property.  All I have to do is ignore the fact that you even filed it.

    If you don't believe me, feel free to quit claim something to me and never tell me about it... :-)

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Gee - I've never seen a transfer deed that requires the Grantee to sign, denoting acceptance, I presume? 

    Is this a requirement in New Jersey? Recorder's office? Mis-information?

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    I'm with @Rick H. 

    on this, I've only owned hundreds of properties in 7 states but I've never seen a deed with a Grantee signature, only Grantors.  To be a valid conveyance a deed must be "signed, sealed and delivered."  I don't recall any acceptance, unless that means the same as delivered.  Not an attorney.....

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    A deed is not valid without delivery and acceptance .  You cannot just deed a property to anyone and it be valid unless the person accepts the deed.  Acceptance is usually acknowledged by consideration($$$)

    Like others have said, even if he could find someone to take the property it would not release the debt.  My understanding is that even if the buyer agreed to assume the debt, he would not be released from liability unless the government bodies agreed to do so

    To me, the only option would be to treat it as a short sale.  Find a buyer the will pay the highest price and take that number to city to see if they will accept as payment in full.  Tough situation ! I wish you the best

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Rick H. 

    This is interesting and probably should be a different thread.. But yes what happens when unbeknownst to you some one quit claims a property to you?  As you state only one person signs the quit claim deed. from my experinces in many states.. some title companies will insure others don't like them.. Like here In Oregon quit claims and you play hell getting title insurance down the line.. But down in MS were I do some work Quit claims are the deed de jour and no issue.

    Same with some one who is under water.. does this mean they can just prep a deed In lui and run down and record it... there must be some case law on constructive receipt of said document. but its an interesting thought

    But who would have thunk we have so many properties in the good OLE us that are worthless and worse than that beyond worthless.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Stephen S.:

    Or can you all think of any alternative resolution to this issue?

    -------------

     The one that comes to mind immediately is to be a responsible property owner and take care of your obligations.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Hattie Dizmond 

      that is a nice sentiment.. But I have unfortunately been in the same situation in Detroit.. When these cities go under and 8o to 90 % of the homes are boarded up on your block and the thugs are running wild.. NO one in their right mind would put a dime onto those properties. One property In Detroit its common for the Policed to relocate the elderly or those that have lived on one of these blocks for years that has turned Ghetto. they don't have the man power or resources to protect the innocent.. so they pay to move them.

    Its a very sad commentary on the war zones of the us inner cities.. and the poor people that have lived in the neighborhood for 30 years or more only to see it turn and decay to an extent that the government can not protect you anymore.

    And then you take the lovely Flippers that buy this crap for nothing and sell it to unsuspecting out of state investors or foreign investors and the cycle of greed and is complete. I wrote and E book for AU investors that got sucked into the inner city and the BAD TK operators.. Its a hit on BP I give out 4 ot 5 an hour and that's because the mods moved it to the market place even though I am not selling it just giving it away... :)

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rick H.:

    Gee - I've never seen a transfer deed that requires the Grantee to sign, denoting acceptance, I presume? 

    I was under the impression that some states required quit claim deeds to be signed by both the "buyer" and "seller"...though it's quite possible I'm completely wrong on that...

    I do know for certain (based on discussions with my RE attorney) that quit claiming a deed to someone who doesn't acknowledge it (either through consideration or through some reasonable act indicating acceptance of the property) will hold no weight in a court of law.  It may be a perfectly valid deed, but it won't have served to transfer ownership without acceptance from the grantee.

    As was indicated above, that's the "delivered" part of "signed, sealed and delivered"...

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @J Scott 

      exactly why In Oregon you play hell getting title insurance on  a property that has been quit claimed to you .. AND the transfer was not done through a title company .. IE hand written deed even if it was a warrenty deed....

  • Real Estate Agent · Ivor, VA · Member since 2011 · 73 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    Simple.  Find a judgement proof person and quit claim the deed to them.  There has to be 50k people in this country that would sign ANYTHING for $100. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    12y

    @Stanley Crawford 

      more like 5 million !!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Stephen S. Offer to let the local fire department use it for training purposes if they will agree to haul off the debri when finished, then donate the parcel to a local charity.

  • Rehabber · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2013 · 864 posts · 510 votes
    12y

    First off, this is why I hold nothing in my personal name and have more LLC's than houses right now...The "get insurance and be protected" just doesn't cover as much as the asset protection stuff does. You need both if you are doing higher volume. Not preaching, just saying that for the people that might be reading this...

    Anyway, I'd check the service requirements on the lawsuit stuff.  I don't know NJ law, and have never heard of a municipality pulling this kinda thing, but hey, that's NJ for you.  There has to be a duty of the city to serve you with the lawsuit so you have a chance to defend yourself, though.  If you reside in another county and get your tax bills mailed to there, I cant imagine a tack and serve at a vacant house is legal notification.   I think its lawyer time to check your options.  I'd also challenge the valuation of this thing if the taxes are that high.  Might wanna check with the state and see what oversight they have over municipalities overstepping their legal authority, too.  Again, you have to check the law, but it surprises me they can enforce criminal type action outside of the city for unpaid property taxes.  That wouldn't fly here in Georgia.    

    As stated, any transfer (create an LLC and sell it subject to existing liens...maybe a trust, but technically a land trust is a pass through entity so its technically still your tax unless you get into more sophisticated stuff. With the LLC they'd have to pierce the 'corporate veil', which could probably be done with this scenario, but its still way harder) should keep the future bills off of you, but that's not going to solve the previous ones if you were owner of record when they were assessed.

  • Broker · Logan, UT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Grim, but funny.

    What about internationals?  Can't you make some sort of deal with a Nigerian exiled royal?

    Wm

  • Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
    12y
    I am not an attorney - but logically;  this idea just has to be patently false.  Because if true - what would stop me from changing the ownership into Your name?  Or the mayor of Camden's name for that matter?  

    One day the tax bills for a property you had never heard of would start showing up at your house.  Then a summons to court - 

    But, but, but, Your Honor I had no idea that Stephen put that property in my name!

    Too bad - the property is now in Your name and by the way;  you now owe us a stack of money - get your checkbook.

    Come on - it just cannot be true. <g>

    stephen
    ------------


    Originally posted by @Derek W.:

    @Stephen S. Can you clarify why you couldn't just record your quit claim deed to someone else and no longer be the owner? 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent, Investor and Mentor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2013 · 257 posts · 61 votes
    12y
    If you have quit claimed the house already all you have to do now is record that at the courthouse. The city is working off of public info and that QCD will change the public info to the new buyer.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.