Are Realtors days numbered?

Are Realtors days numbered?

Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 307 posts · 170 votes

I saw an interesting interview on CNBC today of Colony Capital CEO Tom Barrack whose firm has $34 billion under management. He spoke about the many changes in housing but touched on a real interesting point. He compared realtors fee`s to brokerage fees and said its days are numbered. He states that these fee's are the last of this type of fee left in the market place. I have to agree. I think its only a matter of time before this goes away. As a stock trader it would have been unheard of and impossible to have traded without a broker. Now you still have brokers but they are for a select few that need some hand holding or large portfolios. I can certainly see this evolving the same way with Zillow and Auction.com. I know the brokers went away kicking and screaming as all those good paying jobs went away. I would expect the same reaction here but times do change. Some may pop up oh we will need them to open the door and show the homes and all the other things a realtor does but again the same was said of brokers. I for one would like that 6% in my wallet. Some may feel different.

Here is the link to the video if you care to view it. 

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000311073

3Reply
759 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Tierra Verde, FL · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 130 votes
12y

Most Realtors do just 4-5 transactions per year and make about $20k. Many, including me, practice real estate in their spare time. My goal is to do 4-5 transaction per month. My goal is to provide a level of service that makes my clients feel comfortable, proud and grateful for choosing to use me as their Realtor. I think that goals separate the 4-5/year, just get by crowd from those that choose excellence. 

Many of my investor friends deride Realtors, sometimes even in good humor. The fact of the matter remains that 9 out of 10 houses are sold using Realtors. I don't see this changing any time soon. A good agent is more than just a robot that enters information in the MLS. A good agent can tell a tale of your home that will interest the internet viewer to want to come by and take a look. A good agent can take photos or hire a great photographer to highlight your homes best points. A good agent can steer you to deals, whether they are on the MLS or wholesale. A good agent looks out for your best interests before their own.

In a world where many folks are more and more overworked I don't see people wanting to take the time to show their home, or figure out contracts and disclosures. I don't see people relocating to new cities driving around aimlessly trying to find a good home in a good neighborhood.

As far as the fees I will just quote a friend of mine who introduced himself at a REIA meeting immediately after a $295 listing service guy, he said; "I am a Realtor and I charge 6%, because I am worth it.". If you don't value your Realtor's service, fire them.

Realtors are not essential, but neither is your car. You can buy a home without a Realtor just like you can get to work without your car but both will make the journey a whole lot easier. 

See this reply in the discussion

145 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Jay what you are saying has been said over the last few decades and those people that said it will happen it hasn't happened. I have seen all kinds of technology touted as the new future only to fall flat on their face. 

    I am just saying there have been many before you saying this for along time and the sky hasn't fallen.

    Software can't replace the relationship in the business. I respect your opinion but disagree with it.    

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jay C.:

    @Bill Gulley 

    Bill your own words "Well, I didn't listen to the link."  My goodness then you went on this long winded ramble on what the guy said and you never took the time to listen to it.  The main thing is you need to view the 3 min video. The man in the video is a huge real estate proponent and comments on the shift from home ownership to rentals. 

    Thanks, just got an interesting point of data, half the homes in Springfield proper are rented! Majority of upper end are owner occupied, but executive rentals are up. Didn't know we passed the half way point....interesting.

     Wasn't commenting to the guy in the link, but to the post and the points implied, I reserve  literary license in forums, if others can nit pick words used, or have freaky opinions or just talk junk and trash,  I can rant! :))

    I'm sure my comments are generally applicable as the comparison was a poor one. :)      

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Jay C.:

    @Mark Ferguson 

     Mark I am sorry I had to chuckle at your comment

    "A real estate agent is more like a lawyer"

    My friend recieved their realtors license after a few months of study compared to 6 years for an attorney. I am not sure if your comment was a pump for realtors or a slight for attorneys.

    You also dropped a state that FSBO sold for 20% less? Well first off you need to drop the 6% comish right off that and I really question that 20% #. I just dont buy all the extra work. In fact as I read your post the more it looked like a stock trade. No two companies are the same and to do proper due dilligence you need to pour over tons of information.

    Its an interesting debate to say the least. I enjoyed the comments.Thanks

     I'm not comparing the education to a lawyer, that is obviously more involved. The business is similar. In the stock market you have a market price, everyone knows that market price for that stock because thousands of shares are traded for that company. The company may be overvalued or under valued by the market, but you know the market price.  If one house had a thousand shares of stock and you could see the price of what each share bought and sold for then it would be similar.  Every house is different and I you underprice or overprice a home you can kiss that 6% you saved on your agent good bye. 

    In most Fsbo or limited service listings one party ends up with an agent. If one side has an agent and the other does not who has the advantage?  Who knows the customary costs each side pays and how to navigate the 17 page contracts plus addendums. Many states have larger contracts. 

    The due diligence you speak of with sticks is public information as well as market value. With houses the mls is not public information and just knowing a sold price does not tell the entire story.  

     You are way, way over-simplifying the stock market.  

    Knowing things like market trends, how macro-level events will impact pricing, etc are important.  Just like in real estate.

    And yet the traditional stock broker role is almost gone.  Technology replaced the actual transactional part of the job, while greater access to information (in the form of technology, new media, and new types of information/professional service jobs) has replaced the need for an anointed priesthood.

    No one questions that all of the work you mention needs to be done.  The question is who will do it, and under what sort of compensation model.  

    Look at it this way.  If Zillow were what it holds itself out to be (and I realize it isn't, YET), then Zillow plus title companies with an expanded role could fill almost all of the brokers' role.  

    The same is going to happen with cars, thanks to Tesla challenging state bans on direct sales in courts, and winning.  There will still be dealerships, in the sense that there will be physical locations, and there will still be service centers.  But the commission-based model is going to go away, it is simply too economically inefficient.  It won't be immediate, but it will happen eventually.

    I suspect anyone currently brokering real estate is going to complete their career just fine.  But if my son expresses an interest in real estate, I will encourage him to think about the field a little more broadly.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    One of my favorite songs.  When originally written it was proud and confident, but now definitely melancholy.  What to sign up for the guaranteed secure job of weaver?

    The Wark o' the Weavers

    We're all met together here t' set and t' crack
    Wi' oor glasses in oor hands and oor wark upon oor back
    And there's no' a traede among them a' can either men' or mak
    If it wasnae for the wark o' the weavers

    Chorus: If it wasnae for the weavers, what would we do
    We wouldnae hae claeth maede o' oor woo'
    We wouldnae hae a coat, neither black nor blue
    Gin it wasnae for the wark o' the weavers

    The hireman chiels, they mock us and crack aye aboots
    They say that we are thin faced, bleached like cloots
    And yet for all their mockery, they canna dae wi'oots
    Na, they wanna want the wark o' the weavers

    (Chorus)

    There's oor wrichts and oor slaters and glaziers and a'
    Oor doctors and oor ministers. and them that live bae law
    And oor friens in Sooth Americae, though them we never saw
    But we cannae wear the wark o' the weavers

    (Chorus)

    Oor sailo's and oor so'diers, we can they're all bauld
    But if they hadnae claes, faith, they couldnae fecht for cauld
    The high and low, the rich and pair, a' body young and auld
    They wanna want the wark o' the weavers

    (Chorus)

    There's folk that's independent o' aither tra'esman wark
    The women need nae barbers and dykers need nae clerk
    But none o' them can dae wi' oot a coat or a sark
    Nay, they wanna want the wark o' the weavers

    (Chorus)

    The weavin' is a trade that never can fail
    As lang 's we need ae cloot to keep another hale
    So let us aye be merry out a bikker o' guid ale
    And drink tae the health o' the weavers

    (Chorus)

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 307 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    @Joel Owens 

    Joel your post is much like Marks. Its a comment on the here and now. If you have a crystal ball that fortold all the jobs that were going and staying you would not be wasting your time in Real Estate. I hear your passion and expected it when I posted the article. At the end of the day remember it was not me saying it. It was a billionare saying it.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jay C.:

    @Mark Ferguson 

    Mark you bring up many valid points that are based in the here and now. The same was said for other ocupations that were altered by technology or other factors. As I write this now I see nothing I would lose sleep over if I was a realtor today . As my initial post points out from a very succsessful real estate investor point of view in the video changes do infact happen. To think any job is imune to it I think is not reality. Its food for thought. Your opinion is appreciated and since your in that field adds depth to the conversation.

     Many occupations have changed with tech, but almost all of them dealt with assets that had fixed prices. There was no question of value.  They also don't have to be seen personally like a house. Look at at dealers. Have they gone anywhere with technology?  The amount of private people trying to sell cars has actually decreased, at least in my area.  I bought my last three cars from a dealer when in the past I always used private parties.  My Lambo was bought from a dealer because 90% of them are for sale with dealers and I trust a dealer with a great reputation more than some guy off EBay. Plus it was easier to finance thanks to the dealers help, I had many items fixed before I bought it thanks to the dealers help and he arranged shipping.  Cars are obviously different than houses and dealers are different than agents, lawyers are different than realtors.  There are no exact comparisons because house are such a unique business. 

    Look at flippers like J Scott who has his license but still uses another agent because he saves so much time and hassle and feels they can get a better price than him. I flip as well and I list my own houses, but that is my main business. I would never sell a flip fsbo after it was competed and ready for an owner occupant. I have to pay another agent but it more than makes up for the 3%, because they represent 90% of buyers.  

    I think one thing that will make it very hard to change the industry is it costs a buyer nothing to use an agent. Why would they not use an agent?  Then you have the situation with one party represented and one not represented.  When you are dealing with the biggest transaction of your life do you want the thee party to have a pro and you spending hours and hours trying to make sure your not getting screwed without ever knowing?

    I can tell you the biggest problems with housing transactions come from Fsbo where paper work was screwed up or everything was not in writing. A great way to end up needing a lawyer is to try to sell a house yourself. 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    Everyone wants to get rid of the realtors and now when escrow and title raise their fees when realtors are gone. What is the investor's next move?



    Joe Gore

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Billionaires can be wrong too........... : )

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2013 · 225 posts · 91 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Everyone wants to get rid of the realtors and now when escrow and title raise their fees when realtors are gone now. What is the investor's next move?



    Joe Gore

    So escrow cannot be replaced? If 9/10 realtors are terribad, what does that mean for the same 9/10 escrow companies?

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Everyone wants to get rid of the realtors and now when escrow and title raise their fees when realtors are gone. What is the investor's next move?



    Joe Gore

     Though you didn't intend it that way, this is actually a good example of the economic pressures that will change the current model.

    It doesn't really take much more effort, sometimes no more effort at all, to do a title search on a million dollar house than on a $50k house.  The same is true of a great many of the items that would be on the list if you listed everything that Realtors spend their days doing.  And that is why there will be pressure to change the commission model.  

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Richard C.

    You are correct it doesn't take much to do a title search of a home, and anyone can go to the court house and do the search. Why would you want to see a change on the commission model?


    Joe Gore

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    There are many problems with a big company starting to list properties for free on mls. 

    1.  You have to be a licensed agent to use mls. Every state has different requirements. 

    2.  You have to hang your license with a broker to be an agent. That broker is responsible for all their agents activities. 

    3. There are multiple MLS systems in each state. They all have different fees and requirements.

    4.  You have not eliminate the one party being represented and one not scenario. 

    5.  Those sellers still have to pay a buyers agent and aren't saving that much money. 

    6.  Who takes the pictures, finds the square footage, the mls comments and uploads it into mls?  

    The answers to all of this is you still need local agents and brokers doing all this for the giant company. The giant company has to pay all of these people and take on the liability if something goes wrong. We haven't even talked about contracts yet. The contract are that large because of state regulation, not realtors. Those buyer agents are always going to use the contracts and buyers will always use agents because they are free to them. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Richard C.:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Everyone wants to get rid of the realtors and now when escrow and title raise their fees when realtors are gone. What is the investor's next move?



    Joe Gore

     Though you didn't intend it that way, this is actually a good example of the economic pressures that will change the current model.

    It doesn't really take much more effort, sometimes no more effort at all, to do a title search on a million dollar house than on a $50k house.  The same is true of a great many of the items that would be on the list if you listed everything that Realtors spend their days doing.  And that is why there will be pressure to change the commission model.  

     True, but if you miss something on a million dollar house it will cost much more than a $50,000 house. Insurance prices aren't based on the time it takes to do the work, but the risk if they have to pay out. 

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    That is true enough, but the bottom line is that commission-based compensation schemes exist only where the brokers (of whatever good) can in some way restrict access to supply. Once that barrier is broken, the compensation model inevitably changes. Right now the Realtors still control the most needed information, with the MLS. That will not last forever.

  • Real Estate Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2014 · 59 posts · 31 votes
    12y

    Personally, I think that the role played by the Seller's Agent is the more valuable.  Staging the home, finding the right price, fielding offers, negotiating, avoiding potential problems before they happen are all critical components of the process.  That said, the Buyer's Agent does a lot, too.  Coordinating and setting appointments, walking buyers through homes to point out things "people off the street" might not notice (good and bad) and negotiating for their clients are all important.

    Here's where I will lose a lot of respect from Realtors, though.  If I am buying a $600,000 primary property, I don't think that my agent (Buyer's agent) is doing $18,000 worth of work.  A flat fee is more appropriate.  Maybe I'm "cheap", but I would rather see my sales price lower by at least $10,000 on that deal.

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Joel Owens:

    There was a software company I believe a year ago that pitched to Shark tank about eliminating agents etc. They deferred to Barbara Corcoran for thoughts on it and she ripped it apart.

    I vaguely remembered the episode so I decided to look it up.  The company was www.revestor.com and below is an article written in 2013 about the company and Shark Tank appearance.

    http://www.inman.com/2013/05/24/revestor-emerges-f...

    I bookmarked the site to check it out tomorrow to see how well it works.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Richard C.:

    That is true enough, but the bottom line is that commission-based compensation schemes exist only where the brokers (of whatever good) can in some way restrict access to supply. Once that barrier is broken, the compensation model inevitably changes. Right now the Realtors still control the most needed information, with the MLS. That will not last forever.

    Realtors create the mls by entering their listings and the sold info.  How would they lose something they create.  In some states the sales price is not even disclosed in public records. 

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Richard C.:

    That is true enough, but the bottom line is that commission-based compensation schemes exist only where the brokers (of whatever good) can in some way restrict access to supply. Once that barrier is broken, the compensation model inevitably changes. Right now the Realtors still control the most needed information, with the MLS. That will not last forever.

    Realtors create the mls by entering their listings and the sold info.  How would they lose something they create.  In some states the sales price is not even disclosed in public records. 

     Seriously?  Come on.

    The MLS is a database, period. It contains data. Anyone could enter the same data into another database and create the same thing. And people will. Zillow is already starting, witch is why NAR is suing them.

    Having the already existing product is a big advantage, and will keep realtors around a while.  But where there is Coke there will be Pepsi.  And where there is Pepsi, a Coke won't cost $20.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    I think it a boil down to investors don't like paying a commission which boils down to greed. If everyone wants to get rid of realtors, no one has said how they will do that.



    Joe Gore

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I think it a boil down to investors don't like paying a commission which boils down to greed. If everyone wants to get rid of realtors, no one has said how they will do that.



    Joe Gore

     It is not greed to want to avoid a commission that does not necessarily have any relationship at all to the skill employed, investment made or effort expended.

    Much of the work can be done for an hourly wage, and most of the rest for a flat fee or professional hourly billing.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Richard C.:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I think it a boil down to investors don't like paying a commission which boils down to greed. If everyone wants to get rid of realtors, no one has said how they will do that.



    Joe Gore

     It is not greed to want to avoid a commission that does not necessarily have any relationship at all to the skill employed, investment made or effort expended.

    Much of the work can be done for an hourly wage, and most of the rest for a flat fee or professional hourly billing.

    I agree it could be an hourly billing, and I charge lawyers $250-hour minimum of three hours they complain just like an investor wanting something for free.


    Joe Gore

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    The reason Zillow enters listings that are active is they get a feed from local MLS. Many realtors are now stopping that feed because zillow is using the listings to market other agents who pay zillow to be a featured agent. One of the larger real estate companies in the southeast stopped letting zillow use any of their info. Those houses are no longer on zillow. Zillow didn't create a magic program that gets info on houses for sale. They get their info direct from mls and the agents control that mls. If I dont want my listings on zillow I can mark a box and stop that feed. Same with realtor.com, trulia and all the others.

    There is no law that says agents have to be paid a commission.  There are lots of flat fee agents out there and you get a flat fee service. You can pay an agent hourly if you want. No law against that either.  You just have to find the crappy bottom of the barrel agents that will do it. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    if you really want to avoid a commission become an agent!  Oh wait, that involves too much work and cost.  

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    $375 and a 2 week class, as I often tell wannbe "wholesalers" here.  Just become an agent, the barriers to entry are extremely low.

    In my state it takes much more time and money to become a home inspector or a lead paint remediator than a real estate agent or even broker.  And much, much , much more education (and therefore time and money) to become a barber than a realtor.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    There will be a change, but realtors will not go away. Imagine if Zillow becomes synonymous with buying and selling real estate in EVERYONE'S mind. That hasn't happened yet, but it may. Imagine if they start to offer as many data points as the MLS databases (e.g., cash transactions, seller concessions).

    If that day comes with Zillow or another site--and it will unless NAR offers it first--that will change the topography of the real estate market.

    There will be a surge in people who are able to sell on their own, to reach 100% of the buyers.  There may be a surge in discount sales "consultants."

    But there will always be realtors because, as @Mark Ferguson said, every house is different.  It is complex thing, pricing, staging, and marketing a house.  Knowledge of the local neighborhoods will still matter.  Negotiation is different with every house.  And closings can be tricky.  Most people will buy or sell a house only maybe a couple of times in their lives and will need help.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.