Are Realtors days numbered?

Are Realtors days numbered?

Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 307 posts · 170 votes

I saw an interesting interview on CNBC today of Colony Capital CEO Tom Barrack whose firm has $34 billion under management. He spoke about the many changes in housing but touched on a real interesting point. He compared realtors fee`s to brokerage fees and said its days are numbered. He states that these fee's are the last of this type of fee left in the market place. I have to agree. I think its only a matter of time before this goes away. As a stock trader it would have been unheard of and impossible to have traded without a broker. Now you still have brokers but they are for a select few that need some hand holding or large portfolios. I can certainly see this evolving the same way with Zillow and Auction.com. I know the brokers went away kicking and screaming as all those good paying jobs went away. I would expect the same reaction here but times do change. Some may pop up oh we will need them to open the door and show the homes and all the other things a realtor does but again the same was said of brokers. I for one would like that 6% in my wallet. Some may feel different.

Here is the link to the video if you care to view it. 

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000311073

3Reply
750 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Tierra Verde, FL · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 130 votes
12y

Most Realtors do just 4-5 transactions per year and make about $20k. Many, including me, practice real estate in their spare time. My goal is to do 4-5 transaction per month. My goal is to provide a level of service that makes my clients feel comfortable, proud and grateful for choosing to use me as their Realtor. I think that goals separate the 4-5/year, just get by crowd from those that choose excellence. 

Many of my investor friends deride Realtors, sometimes even in good humor. The fact of the matter remains that 9 out of 10 houses are sold using Realtors. I don't see this changing any time soon. A good agent is more than just a robot that enters information in the MLS. A good agent can tell a tale of your home that will interest the internet viewer to want to come by and take a look. A good agent can take photos or hire a great photographer to highlight your homes best points. A good agent can steer you to deals, whether they are on the MLS or wholesale. A good agent looks out for your best interests before their own.

In a world where many folks are more and more overworked I don't see people wanting to take the time to show their home, or figure out contracts and disclosures. I don't see people relocating to new cities driving around aimlessly trying to find a good home in a good neighborhood.

As far as the fees I will just quote a friend of mine who introduced himself at a REIA meeting immediately after a $295 listing service guy, he said; "I am a Realtor and I charge 6%, because I am worth it.". If you don't value your Realtor's service, fire them.

Realtors are not essential, but neither is your car. You can buy a home without a Realtor just like you can get to work without your car but both will make the journey a whole lot easier. 

See this reply in the discussion

145 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Sam Elder:

    Personally, I think that the role played by the Seller's Agent is the more valuable.  Staging the home, finding the right price, fielding offers, negotiating, avoiding potential problems before they happen are all critical components of the process. 

    Damn few around here would know how to properly stage a property for sale, let alone take the initiative to do it.    

    The one who do are the same value add folks who bring you a handful of properties that meet your criteria before they hit MLS ... these are the agents which will survive ... and maybe do better.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    I think that agents will be around longer than might be suggested by this thread for two simple reasons:  

    1) Buying a FIRST house is usually the biggest financial decision someone makes in their lifetime

    2) Every transaction is unique  

    I'm going through my first property purchase right now (a duplex - I'll live in half, rent the other half) and even after spending months reading up on things on BP, there are so many details involved with the transaction that I wouldn't know where to begin without an agent.  My agent has explained the financing options available with this property, referenced lenders, referenced contractors and inspectors, compiled and explained the paperwork, arranged showings, and most importantly - held my hand through the process.

    I would be very surprised if many people went through their first transaction without an agent, unless they had a friend or REAL PERSON walk them through the nuances of their situation.  I don't care how much you read or research, there is no way to fully prepare for a first purchase ahead of time and feel comfortable doing it for most people.

    After I have a couple of properties under my belt, maybe even after this first purchase, I'm sure that I'll be able to handle and understand enough of the process to go it alone, but for this first one (and probably the next few), it's great to have someone that I can go to with those little questions.

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2013 · 225 posts · 91 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:

     Oh wait, that involves too much work and cost.  

    lol. No.  Not in Cali at least.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Appleton, WI · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    This is exactly one of my pet peeves!!  I have heard too many horror stories from buyers and sellers about their experience with their Realtor....The problem I have is we all get lump summed in the same barrel and we all get the bad name...I personally take pride in my customer service and do the work so when all is said and done I have earned my "salary".  There is so much more to taking a couple classes and hanging your sign!  That my friends does not make you a Realtor...I wouldn't want to pay somebody who operated like that either.  Consumers don't do their homework enough and automatically call the biggest company in town because they believe they are the ones who can do a good job.   Each agent is an independent with their own business plan.  The company name doesn't sell their house they just get paid for putting their sign in the front yard.  I believe as in any business there are good ones and not so good ones.  If consumers felt like they were receiving the service and a well done job most people wouldn't feel we as Realtors were making all this money for not doing any work.  My sellers don't really "pay" any additional money because the price they get from their home exceeds what they would of gotton had they not listened to my expertise in preparing to get it ready to put on the market.   It sells faster and for more money.  They like it that way!

    Gerry 

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    12y

    Great thread.

    I do see tech disrupting the current real estate paradigm.  

    For example, what happens when Google decides to allocate a few 'billy' of the cash they have lying around to get involved with residential real estate? GOOG will acquire Z and TRLA for a premium. When (not if) that happens, the sweat forming on the foreheads at NAR will be palpable.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Antioch, IL · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 34 votes
    12y

    Wow very interesting arguments, great post!

    I don't think they will completely go away either, as there will always be people that want the white glove service, and want their hand held through a transaction of this magnitude.

    But I do agree that this is an industry just begging for disruption, that may significantly reduce the number of realtors needed in the future.

    The few reasons I believe so are:

    • Every day huge strides and advancements are being in made in Data Science. While the Zillows and other auto-valuation tools are very inaccurate today, they will continue to get better and better, and I find it hard to believe they won't one day surpass Realtors ability to estimate price, many of which were most concerned about the Math that was going to be involved in the license exam.
    • The MLS to me is by far the most valuable tool to a realtor and the service they offer. But it's just another database. If one day associations lose their strangle hold on this, or another silicon valley start-up cracks that code and makes an even better FSBO based MLS type of system providing those benefits, that could be easily challenged.
    • And having just recently completed getting my license, I have to say it was very quick, and I found it fairly easy. I realize that experience is needed as well, but I could easily see there being a future for a Realtor type of call center-ish type of service to guide people through their transactions. Of course with the help of a lawyer as well.

    Anyway, just a few thoughts I had. As someone said this may not be in the next 3-5, or even 10 years, but many industries are being disrupted today that never saw it coming. No good reason to not think it could happen here.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    Real estate is a marketing and connections business.

    I know many agents that are very good at paperwork but do little to no sales. It has to do with them not being a good business owner and marketer. Many are used to a pay check and have no clue the level it takes to run an effective business.

    Some real estate transactions are more complex than others. The top 20% in any field usually make most of the money. The rest complain about how they are straggling by. To be fair most just do enough to get by and close something but do not go that extra mile.

    Whether something happens 10,15,20 years from now it doesn't affect me. I am an investor also. Most of my broker friends that are older in years 60's etc. still do real estate but they are very selective the deals they work on in a years time because they have enough investments throwing off cash flow to be very comfortable. They work with existing clients built up over decades and only take on new clients that are highly qualified.  

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Regarding the 'demise' of the broker, it is easy for agents/brokers to laugh it off because the reality is that the incumbent brokerages don't see what's happening. Realogy(1) is the biggest 'broker' in the US with 26% of domestic existing homesale transaction volume that involved a real estate brokerage firm. Their market cap is $5.85B. Zillow has a market cap of $5.32B. Once the Zillow Trulia merger is complete, they will be by far the largest real estate information provider. The Z/TRLA pair will also have more than 3x (and growing) the unique visitor count of realtor.com. Zillow is about at the point where they have trumped Realtor.com in some real estate segments, like rental properties. Who owns that database? Realtor.com? Not close. I'll put a bet on Postlets (a Zillow company) and HotPads (a Zillow company) before realtor.com. Zillow could gobble up other periphery markets and will ultimately be in a position to do whatever they want, including branching into brokerage.

    Zillow is not 10 years old yet. Just wait until the Z teenager starts developing.

    1) Realogy includes Century 21®, Coldwell Banker®, Coldwell Banker Commercial®, ERA®, Sotheby's International Realty® and Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate

  • Real Estate Broker · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2009 · 870 posts · 664 votes
    12y

    @Mark Ferguson

    Let's first keep it REAL here. Real estate agents are seen to the public as the lowest respected profession after a used sales man. Doctors have 4 years of medical school and need to pass the MCAT. Lawyers need to go through 3 years of law school and pass the BAR exam. Real estate agents just needs a high school diploma and pass a mickey mouse sales exam and now the top real estate agents can make as much as doctors and lawyers do.

    Even financial advisors are perceived to have more respect than real estate agents even though they may push high commission insurance and annuities products that may not be in the best interest of their clients. They are required to have a college degree and pass the series 6 or 7, 63 and 65.

    I don't think real estate agents will go away. I personally wish that the standards and barrier of entry were much higher for real estate agents. I like what the state of Illinois did by requiring every real estate agent to become brokers to weed out the part-timers. I wish that the state of Georgia would do the same. The bad news is the general public do not see real estate agents as professionals like lawyers and doctors, but the good news is that as a real estate agent, you can try to change the image of industry by being different and acting professionally.

    In the future I see more niche small boutique brokerages emerging and the high split large traditional brokerages like Keller Williams, Coldwell Banker and Remax may lose their competitive edge. I am not too concerned about Zillow, Redfin, and Trulia as real estate is local in nature and relationship driven. Your knowledge, intelligence, and know-how is something that no one can take away from you even if the industry changes. One thing that protects real estate agents in my opinion is that it would be extremely difficult to outsource real estate agents to China and India. My wife is a CPA and when she used to work for the big four as a tax accountant, she was amazed of how much of the accounting work was being sourced out to India.

    I apologize for the bad scan, but below is where multi-millionaires seek financial advice. I find it very interesting that multi-millionaires will seek financial advice from a real estate agent over a stock broker, financial planner, and an Investment Asset Manager.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Birmingham, MI · Member since 2014 · 179 posts · 54 votes
    12y

    @James Park  Interesting post. I'm an ex big-4 CPA working in industry and see the same trends with affluent people in their circle of influence; relying less on financial advisers or estate planning attorneys and more on their accountants. I noticed in your profile your a Ross grad. Go Blue! I'm a current Ross student sponsored in an executive style program.

    The more transactions I have completed in my lifetime the more I discount a real-estate salespersons service. On the buy side- how hard is it to put together a purchase agreement from a boiler plate template provided by their local board and fill in some terms? Comparable market analysis for offering prices- thanks, I have that covered too. Once I have a home under contract I will let the lender and title agency take it from there thank-you. On the sell side- how difficult is it to enter clerical information into the MLS, show properties, and evaluate offers? The confidence I have undertaking these transactions on my own came from experience. There are many things that can go wrong in a transaction but I have seen very few deals rescued by a realtor. Not everyone may feel this comfortable undertaking these activities on their own.

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 42 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    Real estate agents days are not numbered, but the days of higher commissions are for sure. As stated previously the average agent closes 4-5 deal a year and is part time. For the most part these are the agents most people complain about getting paid 6% for just forwarding emails.  To be honest the real estate education industry is just as bad as the real estate guru industry.  Agents are told they can make big money working part time and sold a licensing course and exam that is too easy to pass so you attract an industry full of the people that want to make a lot of money for doing very little. 

    Real estate will evolve into an industry where you will have to do a lot of volume as a listing agent or you won't be in business because listing agents fees are going to decrease and already has in many markets. I do not believe the selling agent (buyers agent) side of the business will see much if any lower than the current standard 2.5% to 3% though. There is a lot of work on both sides of the transaction but being a buyer agent involves a lot of leg work that is time consuming so a single buyers agent cannot do as much volume as a listing agent.

  • Bear, DE · Member since 2014 · 178 posts · 65 votes
    12y

    @Jay C.

    Each state takes a different amount of hours to qualify to sit for the real estate exam and then you have to pass a state board exam. Don't hate your friend that he only needed 40 hours to sit for the exam. That 40 hours just indicates that you understand the principles, the selling, and most important the law portion of Real Estate. Most investor do not know anything about the law or principles of real estate. This is where the professional comes into play. I advice client's on areas that their not aware of.

    Most FSBO do not sell. Here's why. I get a listing, it's sent to 4400 agents just in my company alone. Then it's sent to many more in the industry. Then you have broker opens which get's these people to the property to view for their clients. FSBO are hardly seen, like the sign in front of the house, People driving down the street see it. A neighbor had his For Sale By Owner sign up for a year. Guess what it's with a realtor and he approach the agen and another Realtor lives next door. He was thinking like you and he missed buyers from last year because others sold within that time frame.

    As far as the FSBO verses the commission. Our properties traditionally sell for more than a FBSO that even with the 6% the person still walks away with more money. Numbers don't lie. See we do this as a profession and pricing homes is a specialty.

    I worked with an investor over the weekend and I proved that the home was over priced by having each guest that visited the open house fill out a survey. I suggested that the price drop by 20k both investors talked and listened.

    Education in life is the key.

    Now Zillow and Trulia - read what the site says, go over to my forum  -

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/148030-you-cant-trust-zillow-and-trulia-for-property-value-estimates?page=1#p987534

    Zillow itself suggest:

    http://www.zillow.com/zestimate/

    We encourage buyers, sellers, and homeowners to supplement Zillow's information by doing other research such as:

    • Getting a comparative market analysis (CMA) from a real estate agent
    • Getting an appraisal from a professional appraiser
    • Visiting the house (whenever possible)

    See the problem with platforms like this, it makes everyone thing their the expert.

    I guess next, you'll be wanting to get rid of the appraiser.

    See technology is good if you understand how to use the information but misleading if you do not.

    Getting the license is the beginning for your friend, next you have continued education and gain more experience by working with seasoned agents and the brokers. Any industry that's regulated is done because you have to protect the public.

    I'm a professional real estate agent, my duties is to educate people when their being mislead. Knowledge will make anyone a better investor. In addition to being a Realtor, I was a business major in college, so I've been formally trained in the field of business. I'm the son and grandson of business owners. I've owned my own business so I know how to assess a cost and return on investment (ROI). When I worked for a corporation it was a financial company.

    Investors, Real Estate Agent, Appraisers, Electrician, Carpenters, Contractors, Landscapers, Title Companies, Real Estate Attorneys are all in the Real Estate Industry and should work together because it's a profitable industry.

    Roles:

    Investor - you look for properties that you can purchase, change from an eye sore; sell or rent. You want to get for a reasonable price to make maximum profit.

    Electrician - fix what an investor can't because they have not been trained.

    Carpenter - wood work specialist what an investor may not know how to do

    Lawyer - doing title search and filing paperwork

    Appraiser - assess what the value of a home may be, again what an investor can't do

    Contractor - facilitate the repair or rehab of the property

    Real Estate Agent - pricing, listing in the mls, marketing, and selling the property, provide real estate advise, facilitate home inspections, contracts and negotiations, provide fiduciary responsibilities to you.

    That means you have an expert who is looking out for your best financial interests, an expert who’s contractually bound to do everything in their power to protect you.

    We also stay abreast to ever changing real estate regulations.

    Disclosure is another area -

    The real estate salesperson’s duty is to make a full disclosure to all parties on any matters that might materially affect the transaction. Yet, a real estate agent should never disclose his client’s confidential information, especially if that information might give the other party an advantage during the transaction.

    Financing - we can assist in getting the buyer financing for the purchase.

    Searching -

    A real estate salesperson working with a buyer searches for property, while the real estate salesperson working for a seller searches for a buyer. A primary duty of a real estate salesperson working for a buyer is to locate an available property that best meets the client’s needs. For the real estate salesperson working for a seller, the task is to find a qualified buyer to purchase the client’s property.

    And the most important part the Transaction -

    The real estate salesperson’s duty is to help navigate the transaction through the entire escrow process to final close. Much of this duty might simply involve supplying information to the client or answering questions about the process.

    We keep up with market data

    Good agents are constantly going to classes to gain more knowledge.

    Investors can come to sites like Biggerpockets and read books - then jump in. If you pay close attention to all the shows, they have teams within the team they have a preferred agent to get that home sold. Do your research - Scott Yancey - Flipping Vegas - Real Estate Investor - Real Estate Agent/Broker -> read the story

    http://www.scottyancey.com/meet-real-estate-guru-s...

    So instead of bashing the commission, look at what the results may be and the value of what a good agent does.

    For investors that learn from websites like these, you have to develop what guys like Donald Trump learned at the Wharton School of business and Robert

    Kowalski has learned.

    You have to learn how to evaluate the ROI like should I use marble counter top or hardwood floors for a better result.

    I wish you luck on your journey and hopefully you understand if not others may.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    If the investors by chance get rid of the real estate agents like they are trying to do I like to see title and escrow triple their fees on investors when they buy and the reason I say that the investors will be selling for top dollar so pay a top dollar for title and escrow service, I am sure investors will agree.


    Joe Gore

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    Just out of curiosity what is the plan for letting buyers into all the empty homes when all the Realtors are extinct?

    Are any & all buyers just given the lockbox code after entering there name & DOB on zillow?

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    When an investor says they want to look at a home the real estate agent should say to come to my office, and then the real estate agent gets to copy the investors drivers license and then write down their car license plate number because you have a lot of dishonest investors out there and only a dishonest investor will not provide their ID and then if the investor wants to make an offer the real estate should ask for a bank statement and verify it with the bank to see if it is real honest investors will provide it, and this will weed out a lot of lookers wasting the realtor's time.


    Joe Gore

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    Just out of curiosity what is the plan for letting buyers into all the empty homes when all the Realtors are extinct?

    Are any & all buyers just given the lockbox code after entering there name & DOB on zillow?

     What could possibly go wrong!  Lol

    It was mentioned before this is a valid argument because a billionaire said it. Another billionaire just bought prudential and rebranded it as Berkshire Hathaway. Hmm, warren buffet is betting on real estate agents, not zillow.  

    Like it was mentioned before, zillow is not accurate and they admit it and they never will

    Be accurate. They can't account for repairs, for busy roads, for views for many things that affect value that a computer will never see. 

    I keep seeing the argument that someone will come up with better sold data from MLS. Zillow and those companies get the info they have from MLS because agents let them have it. That is changing across the country. More and more offices are not letting zillow have it and that means zillow won't have every house for sale. People and agents will start to realize it and zillow might become less important than it is now, not more.

    The biggest reason realtors won't go away is owner occupied buyers. Most homes sell to owner occupieds and they don't want to sell fsbo for the most part.  They don't want to show houses, reveiw contracts, come up with values, deal with inspections, appraisals etc.  

    If people think agents get paid too much they an become an agent and save that money and make more money selling other houses.  

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    Lots of good arguments and opinions on both sides and a few really bad ones too.

    RE agent's days are not numbered, I can say that with full confidence. While I agree many if not most are over paid, there are many instances where they earn their keep and their fees. I can agree that technology and times have changed so agents must adapt accordingly and offer more than the other guy (or gal).

    Many of the arguments of how easy it is to list or be a buyers agent come from the investor points of view. What these arguments are missing is the fact that a large majority of transactions are not completed by savvy investors who are more than capable and/or willing to do that work, but by Mr and Mrs home seller who have little to no experience, confidence, knowledge, etc on completing such transactions on their own. Hence, RE agents on that basis will always be needed.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    Just out of curiosity what is the plan for letting buyers into all the empty homes when all the Realtors are extinct?

    Are any & all buyers just given the lockbox code after entering there name & DOB on zillow?

    Answer: drones.  

    The buyer kicks back with his Google Glass and goes on virtual tours.

    They (the drones) will also be set to taze and subdue any unauthorized trespassers.

    Next question.

  • Homeowner · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 854 posts · 511 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy T.:
    Originally posted by @James Wise:

    Just out of curiosity what is the plan for letting buyers into all the empty homes when all the Realtors are extinct?

    Are any & all buyers just given the lockbox code after entering there name & DOB on zillow?

    Answer: drones.  

    The buyer kicks back with his Google Glass and goes on virtual tours.

    They (the drones) will also be set to taze and subdue any unauthorized trespassers.

    Next question.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:

    It was mentioned before this is a valid argument because a billionaire said it. Another billionaire just bought prudential and rebranded it as Berkshire Hathaway. Hmm, warren buffet is betting on real estate agents, not zillow.  

    Like it was mentioned before, zillow is not accurate and they admit it and they never will

    Be accurate. They can't account for repairs, for busy roads, for views for many things that affect value that a computer will never see. 

    I keep seeing the argument that someone will come up with better sold data from MLS. Zillow and those companies get the info they have from MLS because agents let them have it. That is changing across the country. More and more offices are not letting zillow have it and that means zillow won't have every house for sale. People and agents will start to realize it and zillow might become less important than it is now, not more.

    You know why that is, right?  

    Zillow is collecting a lot of data.  

    When you have millions of records of data you can start to draw meaningful conclusions.  

    Humans are always trying to quantify things.  If we can try to model the human psyche using numbers, I'm pretty sure we can get a pretty good ballpark figure on Aunt Edna's 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch built in 1956 in suburbia.  

    By corrupting their access to that data, they are stifling the process of collecting comprehensive data.  

    The various MLSes nationwide are a piecemeal archaic nightmare compared to the organized efficiency and slick front-end of Zillow.  

    Yes, today Zillow and Trulia can be scoffed at, but they aren't going anywhere, and I'm willing to bet a lot of people sitting on boatloads of cash wouldn't mind taking a shot at the residential real estate market.

    For me, what is telling in this whole argument is the utter lack of consumer outrage over the potential extinction of their trusty neighbourhood real estate agent.  Any time this subject comes up, no matter the forum, the only people rushing to the defense of realtors are...well...realtors.

  • Bear, DE · Member since 2014 · 178 posts · 65 votes
    12y

    @Mark Ferguson 

    Yes exactly, because every savvy investor knows that Warren is brilliant.

    @Jay

    What gets me is that a Real Estate Agent is in the corner of the investors that we work with. If Jay was a student of investing theory, he would realize that an invested interest is involved here.  The investor and Agent have something invested in the property sale. The investor has his dollars invested; maybe time and labor in getting a better return. (then again that might not be the case if wholesaling)

    The Agent has the commission and fiduciary responsibilities (I'll explain later)  in it so he/she will do the very best to get top dollar. Some even work with clients, asking how much do you want to take home after the commission.

    See too many people get trapped in that thinking that I do not want to pay a commission. I hate to see when you go to diner, I guess the person doesn't get the 15% to 20%. I give 20% because I understand how someone is servicing me.

    Lawyers bill by the hour. A realtor can spend time, money, miles, and no deal is done. Their out of pocket. So the commissions charged are how we generate an income that was regulated by the government. 

    But you don't attack the closing cost? You would not because that involves lawyer fees. And because you can't be an expert in law you're willing to except. It's no website to provide you with law information. Then again, most don't even understand any portion of the law. Guess who has some knowledge like how to read and lookup case law, how to view different sections of the law regarding various topics. Guess who can recommend they speak to a lawyer regarding various issue. The Real Estate Expert - that agent. See we're trained to protect our clients.

    Some states would allow for a company to file the property without a lawyer. That was suppose to save money but that experiment was a tragedy and ended when the courts became flooded with suits.

    I do not like to pay the dealership to repair my car. I tried the cheap route, I ended up paying more because that cheaper mechanic used a non factory part. Cheap thinking will always cost you more, its the way the universe of business works.

    Again, purchasing a home is a person's biggest life decision and to get rid of the people that have a fiduciary responsibilities:

    The real estate salesperson owes fiduciary duty to her client. This means the agent must act in the best interest of the client and not in the best interest of the salesperson or a third party. A real estate salesperson must treat all parties fairly, even those not considered clients. A real estate salesperson’s duty includes disclosing all known facts regarding the property and transaction to the client.

    I suggest this - get rid of the agent, get rid of the person to appraise, to repair, to landscape, to the electrician, to the lawyer filing the property with county, etc. See these are all cost. You only want someone to pay you.

    Interesting insert from a Guru's website

    Walter pulled Scott aside one day and suggested that he get his real estate license, take an apartment building he owned, convert it to condominiums and then sell the units with his real estate license. A suggestion was all that was needed, and Scott not only got his license but made so much money his first year that he quit his college career and focused on real estate full time.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Sean Brooks

    Investors are always looking for something for free and here in Irving, Texas at Spring Creek BBQ on Saturday around noon. You can find investors planing their next move on screwing another realtor. I get my ribs and banana pudding and sit in a corner and get a good laugh out of them.


    Joe Gore

  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    http://www.opendoor.com/

    Businesses will be starting to use the data out there to do deals instantly, however something like this will likely have a greater effect on the we buy ugly houses people than realtors

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy T.:
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:

    It was mentioned before this is a valid argument because a billionaire said it. Another billionaire just bought prudential and rebranded it as Berkshire Hathaway. Hmm, warren buffet is betting on real estate agents, not zillow.  

    Like it was mentioned before, zillow is not accurate and they admit it and they never will

    Be accurate. They can't account for repairs, for busy roads, for views for many things that affect value that a computer will never see. 

    I keep seeing the argument that someone will come up with better sold data from MLS. Zillow and those companies get the info they have from MLS because agents let them have it. That is changing across the country. More and more offices are not letting zillow have it and that means zillow won't have every house for sale. People and agents will start to realize it and zillow might become less important than it is now, not more.

    You know why that is, right?  

    Zillow is collecting a lot of data.  

    When you have millions of records of data you can start to draw meaningful conclusions.  

    Humans are always trying to quantify things.  If we can try to model the human psyche using numbers, I'm pretty sure we can get a pretty good ballpark figure on Aunt Edna's 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch built in 1956 in suburbia.  

    By corrupting their access to that data, they are stifling the process of collecting comprehensive data.  

    The various MLSes nationwide are a piecemeal archaic nightmare compared to the organized efficiency and slick front-end of Zillow.  

    Yes, today Zillow and Trulia can be scoffed at, but they aren't going anywhere, and I'm willing to bet a lot of people sitting on boatloads of cash wouldn't mind taking a shot at the residential real estate market.

    For me, what is telling in this whole argument is the utter lack of consumer outrage over the potential extinction of their trusty neighbourhood real estate agent.  Any time this subject comes up, no matter the forum, the only people rushing to the defense of realtors are...well...realtors.

     Zillow is over 20% off on many of their valuations and they already have tons of data.  They have been doing this for many years.  More data won't help becuse the market is always changing. They are 40% off on one of my rentals.  Would you trust zillpw to value your house and potentially cost you 40 percent?

    Please tell me how a computer can determine the value of a home when it does not know the condition of the subject or the comps?  

    Actually if you read this thread many people who aren't agents are appreciative of their value. Do you expect agents not to defend themselves?  If there is no consumer outrage maybe it is because most people believe there is no threat to the good agents. 

  • Stafford, TX · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I like how Dawn B. from NC put it...nothing happens over night and not all is lost in change. Agents will be needed as the SMEs will be valued for their knowledge and the excess fat will end up working for https://www.redfin.com/

    when dot com world took of in 90s i bet you lots of businesses never thought they'd have to change. 20 years later its mandatory. 

    you never would have thought amazon would sell grocery 

    You'll have to add value to your clients to have the job, else public can say hey i could have done that. 

    Reality is markets are good now so folks are going to say realtors are needed. change takes time. let's talk in another 10 years. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.