Lag time in Recorder of Deeds updating -- How long is normal?

3 Replies

I'm looking at several properties on Auction.com that have been listed, in some cases, just a week after Sheriff Sale. When I search the title, there is no record of the Deed being transferred to the bank, or any liens being wiped out.

What is one to do in a situation like this? Is it normal for there to be a lag in records updating from the Recorder's office? One property in particular supposedly went to Sheriff Sale and was bought back by the bank over a month ago, but there's still no record of it.

How would you proceed?

Hi Mark,

How fast something is recorded depends on the area and technology used.

The attorney or title usually sends to the county clerks office for scanning in and processing but sometimes they are months behind because of volume.

Hope it helps.

Medium allworldrealtyJoel Owens, All World Realty | [email protected] | 678‑779‑2798 | http://www.AWcommercial.com | Podcast Guest on Show #47

Thanks, Joel.

The one property I'm looking at still shows the foreclosee (if that's even a word) as the owner and also shows a 2nd mortgage of $76k. It's most likely that the property went to Sheriff Sale, got bought by Bank of America (the seller), and the lien is gone, but it just irks me that I'm not 100% certain.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you