Converting Electric on SFH to Duplex--Big deal??

Converting Electric on SFH to Duplex--Big deal??

Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 14 votes

Hello ! 

So, I've come across a nice 4 level SFH in Cincinnati that I would like to owner occupy as a duplex. The actual splitting of it from an entry way and putting-up-of-walls standpoint seems pretty cut and dry. HVAC is already dual and it was in fact a duplex at one point in its earlier life.

How big of a deal would it be it to split the electric into 2 meters  ? 

I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice. 

Best regards, Marty

0Reply
6 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Darrin CareyPro Member
    Lender · Dayton, OH · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 705 votes
    11y

    The two meters and panels are pretty straightforward.

    The real question is how the individual circuits are wired, and how much it will take to get them wired to the correct panels. The circuits will need to be traced and mapped out to get the real cost.

    Since it was a duplex in the past, you have a good chance of the circuits being fairly well separated already.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Martin G.:

    Hello ! 

    So, I've come across a nice 4 level SFH in Cincinnati that I would like to owner occupy as a duplex. The actual splitting of it from an entry way and putting-up-of-walls standpoint seems pretty cut and dry. HVAC is already dual and it was in fact a duplex at one point in its earlier life.

    How big of a deal would it be it to split the electric into 2 meters  ? 

    I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice. 

    Best regards, Marty

     Martin,

    Do you know if the property has separate meters when it was formerly a duplex?  If it did, then there's a chance the second exiting panel still exists as a sub-panel (unless the place was rewired).

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    Thanks, Darrin and Roy. This gives me a good place to start and I'll have a better idea once I go in with my contractor and his electrician. I just didn't know if this was something run-of-the-mill or more involved. 

    I appreciate your input and the spirit of generosity is why I love BP !

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.