Converting Electric on SFH to Duplex--Big deal??

3 Replies

Hello ! 

So, I've come across a nice 4 level SFH in Cincinnati that I would like to owner occupy as a duplex. The actual splitting of it from an entry way and putting-up-of-walls standpoint seems pretty cut and dry. HVAC is already dual and it was in fact a duplex at one point in its earlier life.

How big of a deal would it be it to split the electric into 2 meters  ? 

I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice. 

Best regards, Marty

The two meters and panels are pretty straightforward.

The real question is how the individual circuits are wired, and how much it will take to get them wired to the correct panels. The circuits will need to be traced and mapped out to get the real cost.

Since it was a duplex in the past, you have a good chance of the circuits being fairly well separated already.

Originally posted by @Martin G.:

Hello ! 

So, I've come across a nice 4 level SFH in Cincinnati that I would like to owner occupy as a duplex. The actual splitting of it from an entry way and putting-up-of-walls standpoint seems pretty cut and dry. HVAC is already dual and it was in fact a duplex at one point in its earlier life.

How big of a deal would it be it to split the electric into 2 meters  ? 

I'd appreciate any thoughts and advice. 

Best regards, Marty

Martin,

Do you know if the property has separate meters when it was formerly a duplex?  If it did, then there's a chance the second exiting panel still exists as a sub-panel (unless the place was rewired).

Thanks, Darrin and Roy. This gives me a good place to start and I'll have a better idea once I go in with my contractor and his electrician. I just didn't know if this was something run-of-the-mill or more involved. 

I appreciate your input and the spirit of generosity is why I love BP !

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.