How I made almost a million dollars on my “first” house renovation

How I made almost a million dollars on my “first” house renovation

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 281 votes

Background

I have learned a lot from people on the BiggerPockets boards and I wanted to offer some of my experience in the hope that someone else could find some useful information.

I started following the real estate market in California from an investment mindset in 2003. At the time I was working a full time job, I was building up my capital base, and I could never find any houses that cash-flowed. In retrospect it would have been a good time to jump into the market from an appreciation basis, but I owned my primary residence (bought in ’01) and so I had some exposure to a rising market. The key point is that I waited and did not buy.

I continued working and spent a couple of years overseas with a large financial institution. I came back in 2008 just after the financial market crash and at that point I probably should have started investing but again, I waited. I got another job that I soon tired of, and by 2010 I was finally ready to pull the trigger on a real estate investment. I started looking in San Francisco, but I found better cash flow opportunities in Sacramento, near where I grew up. I looked at some single family home homes, but I decided that if I was going to buy out of my area (2hr drive) I should try to do it at a scale where I could pay for help running the place and not evaporate my earnings.

Learn the Building Process

Eventually I found an 18 unit REO apartment complex in a good neighborhood of Sacramento. There was substantial deferred maintenance (a couple of moldy units) with bad roofs, bad HVAC units etc.. I knew that the purchase price was only the price of entry and that I would have to spend more.

I paid all cash for the property. Within a year I had all of the units rehabbed, the property stabilized and I was able to turn around borrow back from the same bank (Was Washington Mutual, absorbed by JPM Chase) 90% of what I had paid the same bank for the property when it was distressed. This was an important year because I took a very hands-on role in my apartment rehabs. I quit my job about 1.5 months after buying the place and I spent my time more or less as an errand boy for my skilled labor (tell me what to buy, I will go to Home Depot and buy it). I had paid about 50K per door for the apartments and I would spend about 10K on each rehab. Split usually worked out to 50% materials, 50% labor. New baths, kitchens doors, hardware, often flooring.

This was great and got me a stable asset with a pretty narrow equity slice, but after 5-6 apartments, I realized what a hassle it was to actually rehab a living unit, and that if I was going to go to the brain damage of remodeling a place, there was a strong argument for doing it once, doing it right, and then taking the money and running. In other words, development.

Buy Carefully, Buy Smart

So, I started looking at fix and flip opportunities. I was also tired of driving back and forth 2 hours each way to Sacramento from my home, so I narrowed my search to properties close to me in San Francisco. I educated myself about the Foreclosure process. I bought dummies books on Amazon, I read up on chain of title actions. I also got my California RE Agent’s license and found the courses extremely useful.

The environment in San Francisco is very politicized and participating in foreclosure auctions during this period meant tuning out crowds of protesters who were attempting vainly to disrupt trust deed auctions to ‘save’ the borrowers. Provided you were able to tune out the noise, it was great, because it thinned the number of participants and you could get better deals.

In early 2012 I paid cash ($520K) for a 2br 1 bath 1910 house near my neighborhood. After the trustee sale, occurred, I waited for my deed to arrive, I recorded it, and then contacted the occupant. I knew who she was beforehand, had googled her and knew her work history, could imagine her situation and had some expectations about how she would act. For the most part I was correct. I treated her with respect and courtesy and negotiated a $2K cash for keys agreement. It took about 2.5 months to get possession.

At this time, very little building activity was going on in San Francisco, so after putting an ad on Craigslist I got a great number of solicitations from Architects to help me consider my development.

The house was in poor shape. I knew that I needed to spend some money to make it safe (rotted rear porch etc.) so I was in for some spending regardless. The question was, do I keep it as a small house and fix it up to sell, or does it make sense to try to make it bigger?

So much in real estate valuation comes back to (IMHO) to square feet * price per square foot. I had purchased ‘the smallest house on the block’ in a pretty good neighborhood. I spent some time at the SF planning department and learned all the setback requirements and rules, so I was well informed when I interviewed my architects. In the end I decided on a path to radically expand the size of the house from 920 square feet to approximately 3200 square feet.

It took a couple of months for my architect to develop the plans. Then the planning department reviewed the plans for about 8 months. Then my neighbors had the chance to weigh in for a couple of months. All told, from the time I had possession of the house, until when I had approved plans to build took well over 1 year.

By the time I was bidding the construction work it was early 2013 and the building market was starting to come back, but it was still slow enough that I was able to get (by San Francisco terms) some good pricing. I wound up contracting my expansion/renovation for about $750K.

At this point, I suspect someone is thinking “Three quarters of a million dollars to expand a house? I could build a dozen houses in my neighborhood for that much.” You’re right. You could. It doesn’t make sense and San Francisco is a good market to be an experienced contractor. I solicited real bids from about 5 contractors and the bids ranged from 1.1mm to 550K. I picked an experienced guy who had my architect’s faith.

We began construction in summer of 2013. I was glad a chose an experienced guy. He did a good job.

During the same time period, the real estate market was racing ahead, so all of the stress and sweat of the preceding 18 months were looking like a better bet.

I hired an interior designer to help me, and she did somewhat, but in the end I chose everything myself. I had a clear idea from the outset who I thought my buyer would be (5 bed, 4.5 bath traditional neighborhood with good schools, parks, safety, parking) and I stuck to it throughout the process.  I was building a nice big house for a family with money.  

In the end, my contractor took longer than he was supposed to (surprise!) The only strife we had was when I started to lean on him at the end when he was so overdue. Liquidated damages (essentially per day late charges) would have been the contractual answer at the outset, but after waiting 18 months to build, my eagerness overcame my thoughtfulness on this point. If I were starting the same project today, there is so much work available, a contractor would laugh off any attempt to put liquidated damages in a contract.

I financed the construction costs through a private loan. I paid 7.5% on a line of credit.

I had earned my RE license and the sale price and attendant commission was such that it made sense for me to do “the work” of listing it myself. I listed the house for 2.5 in the fall of 2014 and sold it for 2.64 within 6 weeks.  

The numbers then were (approximately):

520K purchase

5K Acquisition (legal, cash for keys)

80K soft costs (permits, architecture, structural)

900K construction costs (750K contract, change orders, fixtures)

50K financing

10K insurance

85K closing costs (66K to other agent, staging etc.)

$1,650,000 all in costs

$2,640,000 Sale price

$990,000 Profit

A good portion of my profit relates to the rally in home prices during the time my project was in process. I could not find the same deal on a fixer or on a skilled contractor today. I probably could have held onto the house in the condition I bought it over the same time period and cleared 400-500K. Was the extra work worth it? Well, I’m taxed at long term capital gains rates, I know a lot more about building and entitlements. It made getting my agent’s license worth while, and I set 2-3 other projects in motion over the same time period, so yes, the effort was worth it many times over.

This was my ‘first flip’ but I had learned from rehabbing my $50K apartments a great deal of what I needed to know to turn my $500K house into a $2.6mm house. 

Keep chipping away and be prepared to be patient.

Good luck and if you buy now, make sure you have a good reason. It seems like most of the cheap deals are gone, especially in California. 

20Reply
117 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

Tom,

Congratulations. The photos and workmanship look amazing. It would be really funny if your last name is Vu, wouldn't you agree @Jay Hinrichs and @Account Closed ? 

@Joe Cummings , some of us immigrants have made millions from practically zilch when we came to this country. A family of six had to sleep in a one bedroom for over a year before being able to afford to rent a 3-bedroom townhouse.  Three kids had to sleep on the floor with the exception of the youngest child who got to sleep on the bed with mom & dad. 

I have to agree that the first million is the hardest.  The next million is easier.  Which idiot said to make a million, first get a million? Oh, it's Steve Martin. What a moron. I hope you're not related to him @J. Martin . 

You have to realize that people are scarifying their lives on a daily basis to come to this beautiful country.  They didn't call this country the "land of opportunity" for nothing.  This country offers people the highest chance of having a wonderful life compared to elsewhere. 

USA, USA, USA!!!

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 301 posts · 82 votes
    11y

    WOW. Congrats on all the sucess. You have some cojones to pull off these two huge deals. I would love to see pictures of this $2.6mm house!

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2010 · 203 posts · 93 votes
    11y

    Great post and interesting read. 

    I saw a lot of people who were looking at taking losses or just breaking even on their slow flips get saved by that rapid come up in prices that boosted your profits. 

    2.5 years process though, that would drive me nuts.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 142 votes
    11y

    What a story! Would love to see some pictures! 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Tom V. 

      good job big plays big risk = big rewards... and the ability in the first place to have 520k in cash to buy at courthouse steps.. that separates the men's from the boys.. !!

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    Here are a couple of photos from the finished product: 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    @Tom V.

    Awesome! Thanks for posting.

  • Middletown, NJ · Member since 2011 · 108 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    looks amazing. Good job. You will be taxed at ordinary income rates tho. You don't get long term capital gain treatment for flips. 

  • Lender · Richardson, TX · Member since 2014 · 537 posts · 228 votes
    11y

    Beautiful!!!

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    11y

    @Tom V.  - Gorgeous renovation and sold over list too, congrats Tom! As a native in SF, I have heard of the horrors of the planning department and community approval. Did you run into any large road blocks that you had to overcome? I also saw that legally its still an old house, is it true that planning takes a much longer time for a new build versus a rehab of this nature?

    Prices per square foot are up all around San Francisco. It seems like Bay View and the Excelsior areas have a number of these smaller homes that can be expanded. What are your thoughts for the SF market going forward?

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    Hi @Johnson H. 

    Getting a project done in San Francisco depends a great deal upon understanding the nuances of the planning code.  In that sense, you really want to hire an architect who knows what will fly and what will not. 

    Obtaining a demolition permit is an extremely challenging process, so people have to do all sorts of silly things to preserve a front facade in the name of doing a renovation instead of a new build.  I would have had a better, less costly product if I could have demolished and then rebuilt from scratch, but I was guided that my best case scenario for a demo permit would add an additional year to my planning process.  

    The issue with neighbors is one of uncertainty of time.  If a neighbor (owner or renter, by the way) really wants to, he/she can repeatedly raise objections to your permit being issued and delay your build.  I was fortunate and I did not have objections (Discretionary Review Requests is the formal term).  Each objection would add months to permit issuance.  We were able to build a 4th floor roof deck, but my architect suggested that could be our 'sacrificial lamb.'  If anyone complained, we could nix the roof deck as a negotiating point.  The strategy is not to get your hopes up too much and keep your fingers crossed.  Normally fairness wins out in the appeal process, it just can take a really long time.

    Demographically, San Francisco is like a boiling pot with a steam cooker lid on.  There are lots of jobs and thousands of people who want to move in.  At the same time we have zoning rules in most of the city that are consistent with a sleepy coastal town (40' height limits, potential preservation of every 50+ year old building).  Urban change is a very politicized topic and most elected officials are interested in what their constituents want, and that is to preserve the status quo.   When demand exceeds supply, prices go up(!)   

    I am optimistic about further price increases, but probably not like we have seen in the past couple of years. In the Bayview and Excelsior, you still need to go block by block, but over the medium term, yes. Both neighborhoods will be different places 10 years from now. I think the fringe neighborhoods where, for example, Bernal spills down toward the freeway, are interesting. Best opportunities are probably not to be found on the MLS.

    If the tech boom has a hiccup, most bets are off.  Buffet's "When the tide goes out, you see who doesn't have a swimsuit on..."

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 75 votes
    11y

    What a great and inspiring story. Thanks for sharing! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Albany, OR · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    First of all your rehab looks amazing. Second I can't wrap my head around the San Francisco market. I was there last summer and I think SF is really cool but I can't believe the numbers, and how long it takes plans to get reviewed. You blew my mind. Thanks for the post and good job. 

  • Philly Burbs, PA · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 133 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Tom V.:

    Background

    In early 2012 I paid cash ($520K)

    “How to make a million dollars: First, get a million dollars.” 

    -- Steve Martin

    Damn you did almost twice as good as Steve :)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Mike D. 

      when we make a big hit I am happy to write a big check LOL.. this is a big hit for someone who is a semi passive investor and he is to be congratulated for sure!!!

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Tom V. ,

    Way to go for the gusto! Buying in so cheap - not too much risk, IMHO. Great buy. Way to put it on the line on the development. Beautiful build. I also appreciate you sharing so frankly about the deal - from numbers, to market appreciation, etc. The market has definitely been on our side the last couple years. And you did a great job getting in cheap and taking that calculated risk. Congrats!

    So did you end up doing all the research and permits/planning? Or your GC? Architect? Buildzig - type company?

    This was a killer deal.. Money and time well invested ;)

  • Real Estate Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 1 vote
    11y

    Amazing! 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    J. M.

    I researched all the planning codes that governed how much I could expand the house.  I made an 'as-built' sketch of my site and started to think about how the layout could be configured.   I used www.floorplanner.com and SketchUp (once a Google product) to diagram out some possibilities.  All of this was time well spent from an educational perspective and allowed me to have much more informed discussions with the architects I interviewed.  But none of my work product would have satisfied a planner reviewing my project.  There are simply too many variables for me to want to DIY something like this.   

    Ultimately, the architect I hired took care of all of the permit processing up until it was time to 'pull' the permit from the building department.   As you probably know, it is really a two-step process, getting permission from planning, then from building.  There is much more objectivity in the building department.  Getting through planning is tough, it's more straightforward to determine firewall requirements etc..  Once the permit was approved all the way through the building department, my GC went down and pulled the job card. 

    I would add that there was an additional level of benefit here in working with a GC recommended by my architect.  They had established a relationship of trust and there was less likelihood I would be put in the middle of a he said/she said, "These plans are junk / that guy doesn't know building" argument.   They each want the other one to succeed and get more business from one another.    

    undefined

    @J. Martin undefined

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 207 posts · 190 votes
    11y

    Inspirational! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    This is an awesome post. Congrats on a great deal.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Tom,

    Congratulations. The photos and workmanship look amazing. It would be really funny if your last name is Vu, wouldn't you agree @Jay Hinrichs and @Account Closed ? 

    @Joe Cummings , some of us immigrants have made millions from practically zilch when we came to this country. A family of six had to sleep in a one bedroom for over a year before being able to afford to rent a 3-bedroom townhouse.  Three kids had to sleep on the floor with the exception of the youngest child who got to sleep on the bed with mom & dad. 

    I have to agree that the first million is the hardest.  The next million is easier.  Which idiot said to make a million, first get a million? Oh, it's Steve Martin. What a moron. I hope you're not related to him @J. Martin . 

    You have to realize that people are scarifying their lives on a daily basis to come to this beautiful country.  They didn't call this country the "land of opportunity" for nothing.  This country offers people the highest chance of having a wonderful life compared to elsewhere. 

    USA, USA, USA!!!

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 345 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed Thanks for the compliments on the job.  I am fortunate to have had good financial training early, and I won't dispute that it helps a lot to have money to make money.  

    If anyone is just starting out and wondering about how to  up capital, please check out another post I wrote.  

    Nothing is easy, but much is possible.  

  • Real Estate Professional · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Tom V. Congrats! that was an awesome read. I'm currently seeing new development projects all around me Here in LA. its incredible some blocks have more than one going up at once and things seem to be getting busier. when you bought at 500K did you have an idea of your ARV like a flipper would?

  • Investor · Winnipeg, Manitoba · Member since 2013 · 303 posts · 321 votes
    11y

    @Tom V.

    Nothing is easy, but much is possible

    Well said, great Job & inspirational.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Tom,

    Congratulations. The photos and workmanship look amazing. It would be really funny if your last name is Vu, wouldn't you agree @Jay Hinrichs and @Account Closed ? 

    @Joe Cummings , some of us immigrants have made millions from practically zilch when we came to this country. A family of six had to sleep in a one bedroom for over a year before being able to afford to rent a 3-bedroom townhouse.  Three kids had to sleep on the floor with the exception of the youngest child who got to sleep on the bed with mom & dad. 

    I have to agree that the first million is the hardest.  The next million is easier.  Which idiot said to make a million, first get a million? Oh, it's Steve Martin. What a moron. I hope you're not related to him @J. Martin . 

    You have to realize that people are scarifying their lives on a daily basis to come to this beautiful country.  They didn't call this country the "land of opportunity" for nothing.  This country offers people the highest chance of having a wonderful life compared to elsewhere. 

    USA, USA, USA!!!

     Minh, lol, no relation to Steve Martin.. I believe the more famous one is "You want $1MM? Then start with $2MM' lol. Just kidding though. This build was good. I don't think Joe Cummings had any ill intention there though..

    My mom grew up with 4 kids sharing a room. Girls shared the bottom of the bunkbed. Boys shared the top of the bunkbed.. I haven't made millions (yet ;)  But own more than my Mom could have ever dreamed in a lifetime ;)

    Here's to luck, hard work, and luck favoring the prepared ;)  Way to kill it @Tom V. !

    Maybe after "USA, USA, USA!!!", We should have a "SF Bay, SF bay, SF Bay!!"

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @J. Martin 

      there are few other markets in the US were you can hit these numbers that are not CA.

    but I spend thousands searching them out so I aint telling   LOL

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.