How to evict a former owner after foreclosure sale

4 Replies

What procedures should I use to evict former owner from foreclosure sale? I close on the house tomorrow and there is somebody still in the house.

Find an eviction attorney in your area and let them work through the process.  There is a process.  It varies from state to state.  The attorney can advise you on the exact procedures and timelines.  This isn't really a DIY job unless you're experienced.  Mistakes can result in you having to restart the entire process.

Have you tried talking to the occupants?  Maybe offering them "cash for keys" to leave?

Man I wish I could find a link to a similar situation that somebody posted recently. They were in like their 18th month of trying to get the former owner out of a foreclosed property they purchased. This person was essentially on the verge of bankruptcy from all the legal fees and on track to be foreclosed themselves. You have to go through the normal eviction process unfortunately as if he is your tenant. There is no way around it. I guess I should clarify that there is no way around it in MA as far as I know. The person that posted about it previously was in New York I believe and there was no way around it for them either. Consider the fact that the bank was not able to get them out either. Maybe somebody from your area could chime in. You might want to edit your post to include Mississippi and maybe your city or county so you will pop up on the radar of local investors.

That can be a tough situation sometimes.

Some states will be worse than others.  For your sake I would hope that Mississippi is just more or less an eviction, and hopefully your state isn't that bad on that.

As @Rob Beland said their is an epic thread on here about a guy here that is now about 18 months into trying to get the former owner turned squatter out of a house he bought.

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/16/topics/1036...

It is BRUTAL to say the least...

Good luck! 

Can anyone recommend a good (and not too high priced) attorney for Montgomery County, PA?

Cheers

Percy

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.