Registering Property in Baltimore City

Registering Property in Baltimore City

Accountant · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 8 votes

So a colleage of mine mentioned I must "register my property" with Baltimore City or else I can be fined $20/day. I looked into this more and came across this website: http://www.baltimorehousing.org/property_registrat...

Has anyone had any experience with this? It's the first I'm hearing. Why do I need to register a property that the city already knows I own?

Thanks,

Bill

0Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
11y

@Christina R.

In Baltimore city@Christina R.

  • Use and occupancy. needed for a sale as well as rentals. May not be needed if your property never lost it's original one, but given the amount of work you did it may be required. It is an easy inspection. 
  • Rental registration for baltimore city. Needed for any non owner occupied property- rented or not. http://www.baltimorehousing.org/property_registrat...   Direct link to form http://static.baltimorehousing.org/pdf/regis_form....
  • Lead registration. A MD state requirement.
  • Lead inspection- in addition to the lead registration
  • Section 8 inspections annually if you have sec 8 tenants

Go to 1st floor 417 E Fayette for the first two and MDE for the lead info.

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Westbury, NY · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    This is an old thread however just warning everyone with properties in Baltimore City that inspections are now mandated and you must upload the report with the annual registration. All inspections must be completed by Jan 1 2019 or you will be fined $1,000. More red tape and b.s from the City!

  • Matt SchelbergPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2013 · 281 posts · 257 votes
    8y

    Agree with @Marie London It will be interesting to see how Baltimore City handles the $1,000 fines for landlords who are unable to pass inspection by Jan 1, 2019. 

    I'm a home inspector and I don't think most landlords understand the debacle this will become as the deadline nears.  There are not enough of us inspectors to meet the deadline.

    Consider the following:

    • There are 130,000 rental units in Baltimore. Most residents are renters.
    • There are 260 home inspectors registered to do rental inspections in the City
    • The rental policy began on August 1st....150 days before the deadline.

    So if each inspector fully participated in the program, did one inspection per day, and worked holidays and weekends, we would complete only 39,000 inspections by the deadline. Less than half of what is required by the city.

    Will be interesting to see how this plays out!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.