New Investor / Rental Property owner Questions .......

6 Replies

Good Evening,

Just wanted to ask and run by a few questions, regarding some general Investor and Rental Properties .....

1. Once you start receiving Rental income , How long do you have to wait, before a Lender will let you use that Rental Income as your own Income .

Say you clear $500 a month from a Rental property , and have had a renter renting that property from you for 4 months at the time that you go in to the Lender to try and get another Loan for another Rental Property...... will they likely use that $500 that you're making from the Rental,  " Go Towards " your actual income ?

2.  I know that HomePath has an Investor based loan at  10% down ?  ( I guess it is still 10% down , if purchasing as an Investor ) ?

Aside from HomePath's Investor Loan , are there any other Loans out there that have " Lower " than 20% down , if you are wishing to purchase a property as an Investor ?

3.  Is there any  " Investor " Loan out there , that will allow you to do some of the basic rehab work yourself .... I'E.  let you install the flooring and paint the inside and outside of the house ?

Thanks for all of the help,

always appreciate it - Michael

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the update regarding the HomePath loans and buying them as an Investor

Since this is no longer available as an option to purchase as an Investor at 10% down through HomePath , Is there any other option(s) out there that allows for purchasing properties as an Investor ( and having to put down 10% or less ) ?

Thanks so much, I appreciate it

@Michael Dunn

10% down for an investor is virtually impossible to find in "conventional" lending scenarios. You could try talking to a local bank who will lend the money in a portfolio loan. 

Mark Gallagher, Real Estate Agent in New Jersey (#1221341) and Pennsylvania (#RS314542)
215-490-4851

@ Michael Dunn It usually takes two years of continuous rental income for that money to count towards your own personal income  from lender's perspective. 

I do not know of any low money down conventional loans for investors. Is there any way you can live in the property? Then you can use an FHA loan /FHA 203K loan for the purchase of the property and any repairs needed.

I have been approved for a loan on a rental property through Quicken loans, and they counted the income from a rental I have only had for a couple of months.

They required at least a year lease on the rental and bank statements as proof that I was getting the rent payments.

Of course, I still need to put 20 percent down.

As @Felipe Ocampo said, it is typically two years, but this typically means two tax returns with rental income, so if you buy and have rental income late in year 1, them the overall time is shorter. Also, some lenders will consider rental income after one year (so I've heard). 

Typically lenders count 75% of the gross rent as income. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.