Do you see anything potentially wrong with this plan for residential new construction?

Do you see anything potentially wrong with this plan for residential new construction?

Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes

I am building a house...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ta56u5d2esz6h9/house.JP...

... that will cost about $73,000 to build, mostly because I'm doing a lot of the labor myself.

Based on current market data, I think I can sell it for $140,000.

Then, I will build the same house again, but in the area around San Jose, CA because I researched home prices and saw that houses go for 5.5x more. I can build the same house for the same $73,000 and profit around $540,000 after the sale and taxes.

Do you see anything potentially wrong with this plan?

0Reply
209 views

Most Popular Reply

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y

@Account Closed  The listing you included in San Jose for $700k makes the point. It is nothing special.  It's a 7000 sq. ft. lot. and it's listed for $700,000. 

There's no way, even doing all the work yourself (which would take an incredible amount of time) and using all cash, that you're going to be able to buy the land, have plans and engineering done, pay all permits and fees, plus all materials and be into it as cheap as you think even if it's bare bones.

Anywhere in the bay area, land is expensive. It's much like here in Orange County. 

Here's the reality of costs there. San Jose New Construction - Built by BP member Granted your house is much simpler, but that only accounts for a small portion. 

BTW, we are licensed general and electrical contractors, do our own preliminary design, and are licensed real estate brokers. We wouldn't consider trying to build a house completely on our own just using our own labor, as it would be a huge waste of time. Time that is better spent finding the next deals while the actual construction is being done by subs. Though we do handle the excavation as it's more cost efficient. 

See this reply in the discussion

86 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Pollack:

    @Account Closed

    The lot alone would cost me $350,000? Really because according to the Santa Clara County Assessor, the land under 365 Serrano Ave. is valued at $24,965.... you were off by about $325,000. Plus, I would build outside the city limits anyway. Land is just land. It doesn't matter what it's officially appraised at.

    Exactly!  It does not matter what the land is appraised at.  That property you site as having a land value of $25k has not changed hands in almost 30 years.  Owing to Prop 13, its assessed value in 1988 (the last time the property changed hands) could only be increased by at most 2% per year, which is why the assessed land value is so low today.  There is no reassessment of base year value unless the property is sold.  So the County assessed value is meaningless.  The fact is that for you or anybody else buying that amount of land in that area the cost will be about $350k on a good day.  I'm guessing your $540k profit changes a tad if the cost of land is $350k vs $3500.  

    But hey, don't let me confuse you with facts.  Go for it!     

     What about the fact that I'm not buying that property. I'm buying one for $20,000 outside the city limits.  And like I said.... even if my numbers were off my $300,000... that still leaves $240,000 of profit. Not bad for 3-4 months. Aka about $1 million per year.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Pollack:

    @Account Closed

    The lot alone would cost me $350,000? Really because according to the Santa Clara County Assessor, the land under 365 Serrano Ave. is valued at $24,965.... you were off by about $325,000. Plus, I would build outside the city limits anyway. Land is just land. It doesn't matter what it's officially appraised at.

    Exactly!  It does not matter what the land is appraised at.  That property you site as having a land value of $25k has not changed hands in almost 30 years.  Owing to Prop 13, its assessed value in 1988 (the last time the property changed hands) could only be increased by at most 2% per year, which is why the assessed land value is so low today.  There is no reassessment of base year value unless the property is sold.  So the County assessed value is meaningless.  The fact is that for you or anybody else buying that amount of land in that area the cost will be about $350k on a good day.  I'm guessing your $540k profit changes a tad if the cost of land is $350k vs $3500.  

    But hey, don't let me confuse you with facts.  Go for it!     

     Plus, my house would be new construction, not some 30 year old piece of sh**. State of the art... tankless water heater, brand new everything.... large master bathroom with jacuzzi tub, etc......

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Pollack:

    @Account Closed

    The lot alone would cost me $350,000? Really because according to the Santa Clara County Assessor, the land under 365 Serrano Ave. is valued at $24,965.... you were off by about $325,000. Plus, I would build outside the city limits anyway. Land is just land. It doesn't matter what it's officially appraised at.

    Exactly!  It does not matter what the land is appraised at.  That property you site as having a land value of $25k has not changed hands in almost 30 years.  Owing to Prop 13, its assessed value in 1988 (the last time the property changed hands) could only be increased by at most 2% per year, which is why the assessed land value is so low today.  There is no reassessment of base year value unless the property is sold.  So the County assessed value is meaningless.  The fact is that for you or anybody else buying that amount of land in that area the cost will be about $350k on a good day.  I'm guessing your $540k profit changes a tad if the cost of land is $350k vs $3500.  

    But hey, don't let me confuse you with facts.  Go for it!     

     and cost of construction would be well over the $73,000 it cost in Florida. From what I've been looking into since I got into this post... I would up that to between $95k-$110k. And it would sell for a heck of a lot more than that.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed We can chase this rabbit around in circles forever.  The fact the tax records show a dollar value, means NOTHING in relation to what the actual value of the land is. 

    There is no way one person alone is going to put up drywall in a house in a few days. , AND DO A GOOD JOB. The process of getting building permits in California is far harder than probably anywhere else in the country, and for someone inexperienced, it would probably take years. 

    Though you CAN build as an owner/builder, not many people want to buy from an owner/builder. There are not the same warranties on the construction as there is when a licensed contractor builds it, and few protections. How would anyone have a clue as to what quality of construction there is if you have no track record?

    The truth of the matter is, you may own property in Florida that you picked up dirt cheap, but that doesn't mean it would be marketable once developed. If after researching the market you find there is a demand for housing in the area where you own land, and manufactured homes are allowable, that may indeed be a good route for you. 

     As to manufactured housing,you will need to check further into their viability in Florida, with depending on them meeting the standards for hurricanes, etc. 

    Good luck to you! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Redwood City, CA · Member since 2012 · 272 posts · 399 votes
    11y

    What about the fact that I'm not buying that property. I'm buying one for $20,000 outside the city limits. And like I said.... even if my numbers were off my $300,000... that still leaves $240,000 of profit. Not bad for 3-4 months. Aka about $1 million per year.

    If you're buying a half acre of land in CA for $20k then you are going to be so far outside the city limits of San Jose that you might as well stay in Florida.  Your newly built house will be worth several hundred thousand less than the $700k you are penciling in.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Pollack:

    What about the fact that I'm not buying that property. I'm buying one for $20,000 outside the city limits. And like I said.... even if my numbers were off my $300,000... that still leaves $240,000 of profit. Not bad for 3-4 months. Aka about $1 million per year.

    If you're buying a half acre of land in CA for $20k then you are going to be so far outside the city limits of San Jose that you might as well stay in Florida.  Your newly built house will be worth several hundred thousand less than the $700k you are penciling in.

    Good luck!

     And didn't I already say that even if I was off by $300k, that is still $240,000 of profit?

    Who said anything about a half acre?

    And even if the San Jose area doesn't work, there are plenty of other areas. Colorado, other areas in Florida, other areas in California, Connecticut, Washington... I could go on.....

    Why does it take so long to get a building permit in California? Is the state run by idiots?

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @Account Closed We can chase this rabbit around in circles forever.  The fact the tax records show a dollar value, means NOTHING in relation to what the actual value of the land is. 

    There is no way one person alone is going to put up drywall in a house in a few days. , AND DO A GOOD JOB. The process of getting building permits in California is far harder than probably anywhere else in the country, and for someone inexperienced, it would probably take years. 

    Though you CAN build as an owner/builder, not many people want to buy from an owner/builder. There are not the same warranties on the construction as there is when a licensed contractor builds it, and few protections. How would anyone have a clue as to what quality of construction there is if you have no track record?

    The truth of the matter is, you may own property in Florida that you picked up dirt cheap, but that doesn't mean it would be marketable once developed. If after researching the market you find there is a demand for housing in the area where you own land, and manufactured homes are allowable, that may indeed be a good route for you. 

     As to manufactured housing,you will need to check further into their viability in Florida, with depending on them meeting the standards for hurricanes, etc. 

    Good luck to you! 

    The building department inspects everything to make sure it's up to code. That is the surety that the buyer has.

    You are one of the classic "if it's so easy, why doesn't everyone do it," people that every entrepreneur is warned not to listen to.

    I doubt it takes years to get a building permit unless that state is run by illiterate idiots. There is no reason for that. 

    I haven't bought the land in Florida yet, but the TRUTH OF THE MATTER is that a house just sold on a neighboring property for $125,000 in April. On a $3,500, 0.33 acre parcel, just like mine will be. That is the TRUTH OF THE MATTER.

    Can't do it in a few days? Okay, a week.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed  I don't understand your apparent anger. You came on here asking for opinions, and I gave you mine, based on being a licensed general contractor, in the State of California for over 20 years. My assertion that it could take years may have been exaggerated. However; it could take well over a year from beginning to end of the permit process, for an inexperienced builder in California, I've seen it happen. 

    There's a difference between a house being "built to code" and "being built to high quality standards".  Most buyers want to know that the person building the house either has a track record of building homes that they can look at, and call past clients, and/or that they are licensed general contractors in the state in which the house is built. The point I was making was that even though it is possible to build as an inexperienced owner/builder, it does add more risk to the equation. 

    Anyway, you asked for opinions, I gave you mine and you can take it for what it is worth. Good luck to you. 

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @Account Closed  I don't understand your apparent anger. You came on here asking for opinions, and I gave you mine, based on being a licensed general contractor, in the State of California for over 20 years. My assertion that it could take years may have been exaggerated. However; it could take well over a year from beginning to end of the permit process, for an inexperienced builder in California, I've seen it happen. 

    There's a difference between a house being "built to code" and "being built to high quality standards".  Most buyers want to know that the person building the house either has a track record of building homes that they can look at, and call past clients, and/or that they are licensed general contractors in the state in which the house is built. The point I was making was that even though it is possible to build as an inexperienced owner/builder, it does add more risk to the equation. 

    Anyway, you asked for opinions, I gave you mine and you can take it for what it is worth. Good luck to you. 

     Not if you know how to build

  • Rental Property Investor · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 147 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed First, I would just say that you came in asking for opinions about your plan and then got upset when people offered some criticism. My opinion is that instead of trying to rebuke everything these experienced and knowledgeable investors are saying, take their comments and dig into what they are saying to see if there is any value there. 

    Land costs vary greatly all over the place, in my area two identical houses only 2-3 blocks away from each could vary in price by $200k because of the street they're on or school district they are in. Those details matter so it's hard to make blanket statements about land costs and resale values. You mentioned CT as a potential area for building, as a CT investor I would say it would be hard to find any land for the 20k that would then be worth the 5-600k that you're talking about. 

    To summarize, my advice is that you can definitely make money building a house by yourself, I have known other builders that do it. However, I would look into some of the other areas that you're talking about more before jumping in. Check to see what the permit process is like, what work requires licensed contractors, if you need licensed engineers, architects, sewer or septic installers. Every state, county and town can follow different rules and procedures. I don't know if your plan will work, not because of your skills but that you would need to find highly discounted land to make it work. That said, good luck. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed  maybe you can add to the discussion as to what the permit fees are in San Jose, etc. 

    If you decide to move forward with your plan, I hope you will include it on the forum Investor Deal Diaries, and let all of us follow along. Good luck. 

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y

    First, I'm assuming this thread is a joke...

    If not, here are some thoughts:

    -  In San Jose, you can only build under an owner/builder permit if you don't plan to resell the property or if you plan to hire out all the work to licensed contractors (you're just GC'ing the job).  Here's he declaration you'd need to sign:

    https://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/2124

    -  Even if you could get approval to build yourself, the cost of architectural drawings (by someone who knows local codes), permitting and impact fees would would be half of your budget.  

    -  Materials for a 2400 square foot house would eat your entire budget (especially if you're buying things like sheetrock, siding, pipe, wire and lumber at Home Depot)  :-)

    -  Let's say you were allowed to do the work yourself, and you could get below-cost materials, how long would it take you to sheetrock a 2400 sf house yourself?  How about siding a 2400 sf house?  

    -  You going to install the stormwater management yourself?  How about the fire protection requirements?  Earthquake reinforcement requirements?  

    The fact that you are asking these questions says to me that you're either not serious or not to be doing your own building...especially in the Bay Area...

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Raposo:

    @Account Closed First, I would just say that you came in asking for opinions about your plan and then got upset when people offered some criticism. My opinion is that instead of trying to rebuke everything these experienced and knowledgeable investors are saying, take their comments and dig into what they are saying to see if there is any value there. 

    Land costs vary greatly all over the place, in my area two identical houses only 2-3 blocks away from each could vary in price by $200k because of the street they're on or school district they are in. Those details matter so it's hard to make blanket statements about land costs and resale values. You mentioned CT as a potential area for building, as a CT investor I would say it would be hard to find any land for the 20k that would then be worth the 5-600k that you're talking about. 

    To summarize, my advice is that you can definitely make money building a house by yourself, I have known other builders that do it. However, I would look into some of the other areas that you're talking about more before jumping in. Check to see what the permit process is like, what work requires licensed contractors, if you need licensed engineers, architects, sewer or septic installers. Every state, county and town can follow different rules and procedures. I don't know if your plan will work, not because of your skills but that you would need to find highly discounted land to make it work. That said, good luck. 

     My plan involves buying land on the outskirts of towns. Land that is zoned rural residential or something similar. I could turn a profit doing this anywhere, but how much is the question. I have the whole plan itemized to the penny. I don't need a new architect every time because I have one set of plans that I will use for every house.

    Nothing requires a license anywhere if you know how to do it yourself. This includes architecture and all building. If I had a cement truck and the know-how, you can be sure I would be pouring the foundation myself. I would not be foolish enough to try to build something that I don't know how to build.

    I am not trying to argue with the advice, but are any of these experienced HOME BUILDERS. Investing is one thing, but home building is another. I have a spreadsheet with everything itemized to the penny. Granted, this would change by area because permit costs and land costs would be different.

    But, for example, the first house I want to build is on a piece of land there is a neighboring property that a house just sold on for $125,000 and is much smaller than the one I am building.

    I am trying to find a niche in the market. Nice houses on the outskirts of the city. Some people would like that. Or at least enough so that I could do it 5-10 times so that I could put a down payment on a hotel and start that empire of hotels I've been talking about in other threads.

    What should I name that hotel chain????

  • Developer · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Yes to everything J Scott listed. As a point of reference (city of San Diego, but it'll give some ideas until someone from "outside the city of San Jose gives their numbers), I'm subdividing and building a new 2000 sq ft home. I'm out of pocket about $30k in city fees for water capacity, sewer, school, and other fees. Non-variable costs for lot mapping are about $30k. After that, you've got grading and utilities. Point being, if you're building this on raw land, the $80k project budget is gone before the foundation is laid or the land is paid for.
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    I don't need a new architect every time because I have one set of plans that I will use for every house.

    Nothing requires a license anywhere if you know how to do it yourself. This includes architecture and all building. If I had a cement truck and the know-how, you can be sure I would be pouring the foundation myself. I would not be foolish enough to try to build something that I don't know how to build.


    You clearly don't know what you're talking about.  How are you going to use one set of plans in every location when every location has different building codes and plan requirements?  In some areas, you need grading plans, stormwater management plans, etc.

    How can you say that nothing requires a license?  In every area I've built houses, you need a licensed engineer to stamp the plans, a licensed electrician/plumber/HVAC company to pull mechanical permits and a licensed GC (unless you plan to live in the house yourself). 

    You've clearly never done this before, but think you have all the answers.  My best suggestion is to give it a try.  Keep us updated along the way, and once you sell your first house for a profit, come back and give us a big "I told you so!"

    We'll be here waiting...

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @J Scott:
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    I don't need a new architect every time because I have one set of plans that I will use for every house.

    Nothing requires a license anywhere if you know how to do it yourself. This includes architecture and all building. If I had a cement truck and the know-how, you can be sure I would be pouring the foundation myself. I would not be foolish enough to try to build something that I don't know how to build.

    You clearly don't know what you're talking about.  How are you going to use one set of plans in every location when every location has different building codes and plan requirements?  In some areas, you need grading plans, stormwater management plans, etc.

    How can you say that nothing requires a license?  In every area I've built houses, you need a licensed engineer to stamp the plans, a licensed electrician/plumber/HVAC company to pull mechanical permits and a licensed GC (unless you plan to live in the house yourself). 

    You've clearly never done this before, but think you have all the answers.  My best suggestion is to give it a try.  Keep us updated along the way, and once you sell your first house for a profit, come back and give us a big "I told you so!"

    We'll be here waiting...

     Do you really think the building codes differ that substantially from one area to the other? Do you think the Georgia Building Code is that different from the Florida Building Code?

    And I do have a licensed GC that I will be using to do the foundation, masonry, (even though this stuff doesn't actually require a license), and the HVAC. All that other stuff, I can draw myself. In Florida, you don't need to be a licensed architect to submit your own plans.

  • Rental Property Investor · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 147 votes
    11y

    Is there a "Best of BP" like on Craigslist? I would definitely be voting for your cost sheet if there was. I'm not going to go into it because you wouldn't take the advice anyway. I admire your tenacity to make these deals so I would suggest you just go out and do it. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

  • Investor · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 77 votes
    11y

    Hi John,

    What makes the $1.5m  house in the bay area worth more than the $0.5m house ~1 mile apart is all in the land value (often driven by school district/city). School district is the big differentiator on seemingly close properties: can easily differ by $300k on opposite sides of the road.

    There are a lot more subtle differences (high side of street, level rear yard, degree of slope, curb parking etc etc ) in matching comparables, that I am sure exist in your area but the price differences are amplified in the Bay Area due the amplified land value. It is essential to correctly value all the differences to make a successful flip/new development.

    Associated with the relatively high land cost is the hold-time cost during development. San Jose city is better than some, but it is not rare and not fun to be in Bay Area planning (not even building) for greater than 6 months... 

    If you don't count your labor costs and you are correct on every one of your estimates, IMHO you certainly can make $, but the margin won't be anywhere near what you outlined in your post (you are severely underestimating comparable land costs) and the risks will be so much higher (project runs late, larger holding costs, miss premium sale period etc).

    It is wonderful that you have experienced developers that will share their advice... paying heed will help you mitigate risks.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Do you really think the building codes differ that substantially from one area to the other? Do you think the Georgia Building Code is that different from the Florida Building Code?

    And I do have a licensed GC that I will be using to do the foundation, masonry, (even though this stuff doesn't actually require a license), and the HVAC. All that other stuff, I can draw myself. In Florida, you don't need to be a licensed architect to submit your own plans.

    Uh...yeah.  I do think building codes differ substantially.  I've built houses in multiple states, and the codes, requirements, plans, etc., differed wildly.  In fact, just going from one county to the next (within the same state), you can find differences in which electrical code has been adopted, which stormwater management requirements have been put in place, which international energy codes have been adopted, etc.

    And no, you can't do the other stuff yourself in most places (if you don't plan to live in the house).  Unless you are a master electrician, you won't be able to do the electrical.  Unless you're a master plumber, you won't be able to do the plumbing.  Unless you are a licensed HVAC contractor, you won't be able to submit manual-J calculations.  Unless you are licensed by the fire marshal, you won't be able to install interior sprinklers.  And in many places, you won't be allowed to build for resale without a licensed GC -- and in states where it takes years to take a GC license, you won't find a GC who will do this for you without spending some serious cash.

    As for not needing an engineer to sign off on your plans, good luck getting your permits even submitted in most places.

    Maybe you found a place where the requirements are much less stringent, but I can promise it's not like that in most metropolitan areas around the country.  And the fact that this surprises you, tells me you're probably not ready to be doing this...

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Here is my MS Excel spreadsheet that itemized everything to the dollar.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujx82fcnqpjnnjq/new%20ho...

    ....

    I have the cost of construction itemized to the penny.

    Holy crap...I hadn't looked at this before my previous responses.

    Now I'm convinced this guy is just a troll, and we're just wasting our time on this thread.  

    Though perhaps his 2400 sf house really does only need 20 electrical outlets, one breaker and no siding...  ;-)

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    John,

    I used to be at your age. The age that I knew it all. As I age, I realize I don't know crap. That was when I realized the saying "the older you are, the wiser we get" has some merit.

    Let me share with you something that I read recently, and at the same time, I'm trying to interject some humors into the discussion. Just don't take it personal. Here it goes....

    "When you're dead, you don't know that you're dead. It's only difficult for the others. It is the same when you are stupid."  

    As you can see, @Jeff Pollack, @Karen Margrave, @J Scott and a few others only talk about it CANNOT  be done. You're the only one that says it CAN be done. Both are right. The only difference between the two is that your math is a little off.

    1) land value - you're off by quite a bit.  If you build in the outskirts, the sale price will be much lower, which compresses your profit.

    2) construction cost if you're doing the work yourself, you're close, but still off I believe. 

    3) Soft costs - you haven't included this in your estimate.  Permit fees = $40k. Engineering and architectural fees = $30k. Utility tie-ins = $30k. These are CA costs so they're somewhat inflated compared to where you're from. 

    4) permit time - budget for 1 year.  Here where I live, before you build your house, you have to send a letter out to all of your neighbors. If one of them object, you will have to accommodate their objection. My brother designed a 2,400 sq. ft. house in Sunnyvale. One neighbor complained to the city that the house is too big for the neighborhood. He had to reduce his home square footage to 2,100 sq. ft.  

    5) Owner-builder permit - you have to live in the house for 1-year after completion before you can sell the house. 

    I can go on, but you get the point. If you were to do most of the work yourself, I believe you can get it done for $160-$180/sq.ft. including soft costs. Don't forget you will have to pay 5% real estate commission when you sell plus about 2% in closing costs. 

    Attitude is everything. If we want to learn on someone else's dime, we should listen more than we talk. I guess that's why God gave us two ears, but only one mouth. 

    Good luck. 

  • David RobertsonBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2010 · 755 posts · 778 votes
    11y

    I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, just like everyone else's kind, free and educated advice...but there are some serious estimating ommissions in that spreadsheet on every scope of work...

    I sincerely hope for your sake, the 'updated' spreadsheet is more accurate...

    FlipperForce
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    John,

    Sigh.....you asked about my San Jose market. I wasn't going to respond to your post. The reason I responded because Karen asked me to chime in. 

    Let me clarify....so....I....don't.....have.....to......repeat.......myself.

    $1,794 = Permit fee in your neck of the woods

    $40k = Permit fee in my neck of the woods

    $361 = utility tie-ins in your area

    $30k = utility tie-ins in my area

    Maybe $3k = soft costs in your area

    It's $30k for soft costs in my area

    $3,500 = land cost in your area

    $350k to $3.5M = land cost in my area

    You DON'T need an owner-builder permit in YOUR area

    You DO need an owner-builder permit in MY area

    You DON'T need to send letters to your stupid *** neighbor in your area

    You DO need to send letters to your stupid *** neighbor in MY area.

    Long story short, you can do things your way in your area. When you come to my area, you do things our way, or you will not get anywhere.  Again, two ears, one mouth.....Listen more and talk less would likely be very beneficial to your financial wealth.  

    The floor is all yours.  I bow out now.  Good luck to you.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    John,

    Sigh.....you asked about my San Jose market. I wasn't going to respond to your post. The reason I responded because Karen asked me to chime in. 

    Let me clarify....so....I....don't.....have.....to......repeat.......myself.

    $1,794 = Permit fee in your neck of the woods

    $40k = Permit fee in my neck of the woods

    $361 = utility tie-ins in your area

    $30k = utility tie-ins in my area

    Maybe $3k = soft costs in your area

    It's $30k for soft costs in my area

    $3,500 = land cost in your area

    $350k to $3.5M = land cost in my area

    You DON'T need an owner-builder permit in YOUR area

    You DO need an owner-builder permit in MY area

    You DON'T need to send letters to your stupid *** neighbor in your area

    You DO need to send letters to your stupid *** neighbor in MY area.

    Long story short, you can do things your way in your area. When you come to my area, you do things our way, or you will not get anywhere.  Again, two ears, one mouth.....Listen more and talk less would likely be very beneficial to your financial wealth.  

    The floor is all yours.  I bow out now.  Good luck to you.

    Really? Because I looked at the Santa Clara County Building Department and the permit was about $1400 or something like that. I posted it on another post.

    I don't need an owner/builder permit because I will get the contractor to sign the permit since I have to hire one anyway to do the foundation, etc.

    In the places I build, there are likely to not even BE any neighbors.

    "Soft costs" = I already have the blueprints.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 121 posts · 3 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @David Robertson:

    I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, just like everyone else's kind, free and educated advice...but there are some serious estimating ommissions in that spreadsheet on every scope of work...

    I sincerely hope for your sake, the 'updated' spreadsheet is more accurate...

     So what are those omissions? Please inform me and be as detailed as possible.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.