Jacksonville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida

Investor · Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 5 votes

I'm thinking about purchasing single family homes in Jacksonville, Florida Interested in hearing thoughts on this area? Any particular area I should avoid? Thanks, Cheryl

1Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 31 votes
11y

@Cheryl Rathje Hello!

I'm a wholesaler down here in Jax, there are many areas to buy in, and one street could be great and the next could be a warzone. If you would, could you share, what your ideal SFH would be, what are you looking to make on it?

I have included some of the better zip codes:

32256,32221,32210,32218,32207,32258,32246,32244. These are pretty decent areas.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Transaction Engineer · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 271 posts · 74 votes
    11y

    Hi Cheryl,

    I295 is a loop around the city with downtown in the middle. I95 runs up the middle.

    Heading East outside of I295, miles of beaches on the East side of Jacksonville, vary from smaller older homes to very ritzy. Along A1A the south beaches go to upper class homes as you travel South. Sawgrass TPC course is there.

    As you head towards downtown (due West), from the beaches, you run into a good mix of homes. As you near downtown, you get more ghetto. That wraps the downtown area. However, there are some good spots for decent homes and neighborhoods.

    NE/NW downtown is not good. I wouldn't even attempt unless you like dealing with less fortunate areas. SW /SE downtown is better, but still has some ugly spots.

    As you near I295 out of downtown, Southside is decent. West side is growing and decent. SW and NW areas I'm not familiar with but may be decent and growing. 

    The Jacksonville International Airport is North of the I95/I295 northern intersection. Some good homes out there. Homes in the south I95/I295 intersection is sparse, but could find some nice deals. Never been West outside of I295. East are the beaches.

    See you around.

  • Investor · Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Thank you John!

  • Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    @Cheryl Rathje Hello!

    I'm a wholesaler down here in Jax, there are many areas to buy in, and one street could be great and the next could be a warzone. If you would, could you share, what your ideal SFH would be, what are you looking to make on it?

    I have included some of the better zip codes:

    32256,32221,32210,32218,32207,32258,32246,32244. These are pretty decent areas.

  • Realtor · McLean, VA · Member since 2009 · 184 posts · 80 votes
    11y

    Well said @Jerald Alford

    Here are a few more decent zips: 32204, 32205, 32223, 32257

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    Hey @Cheryl Rathje, welcome to BP!

    You've received some great insight into the Jacksonville market from some locals.

    I would also suggest that you connect with @Jeff Riber.  He's an active investor & agent in Jacksonville and will have some great insights into the market.

    Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of BP:

    Start here. You'll get a wealth of REI knowledge and learn how to take full advantage of Bigger Pockets (including how to connect with other California investors:).

    Listen to the podcasts , get active on the forums & set up key word alerts to be notified when people are discussing topics you're interested in. 

    I wish you all the best Cheryl!

  • Real Estate Broker · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    Good AM! Don't forget zip 32207! The areas of Riverside and San Marco offer great flip potential. 

  • Investor · Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Thank you all. I'm looking to buy and hold so decent areas with low vacancy rates are most important . Interested in cash flow not flip. Andrew, do you have a contact number for Jeff Riber? Thanks again 

  • Manager / Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    You all left out my zip of 32225.

    Welcome sir,

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    11y

    @Cheryl Rathje

    Jacksonville is a good area for buy and hold.  I have several properties there myself.  I bought them all through a turnkey company there (I live in Oregon) that has also provided really excellent property management.  All my properties are in the zip codes mentioned above.

  • Engineer · Carlsbad/San Diego · Member since 2014 · 285 posts · 97 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Larry Fried:

    @Cheryl Rathje

    Jacksonville is a good area for buy and hold.  I have several properties there myself.  I bought them all through a turnkey company there (I live in Oregon) that has also provided really excellent property management.  All my properties are in the zip codes mentioned above.

     hi Larry, what kind of cap rates are you getting? And are these SFHs mainly? Thanks! 

  • Investor · Bonaire, GA · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 82 votes
    11y

    Just in the city? Or in the general area? If doing SFR in the general area, stay in St. Johns county for the schools.

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    11y

    @Hersh M. 

    Yes all SFH. Are you asking about cap rates or Cash on Cash? You should PM me so as not to high jack this thread.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    11y
    Everyone pretty much summed it up. Make sure you have some boots on the ground and if you do riskier areas, make sure you have a good pm.
  • Specialist · Orange County, CA · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 623 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Hersh M.: 
     
        Originally posted by @Larry Fried: 
      

    hi Larry, what kind of cap rates are you getting? And are these SFHs mainly? Thanks!  

    Hi Hersh -- it will vary by area but typically a three-bedroom single-family detached home in most areas will have cap ates in the neighborhood of 8%. You can probably get more in some cases. Most of the properties we see today or in the low 8% range. You can get higher cap rates in the lower-priced more marginal areas but I don't recommend you invest there.

    We have spent most of our focus in Southwest Florida where price points are usually over $100,000 and rent-to-value ratios are in line with 1%. That market has heated up considerably over the last few years. However, you can find a decent number of duplexes where the numbers are a little better.

    Continued success!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Hey, I am a property manager and I work in the Jacksonville area. The comments that are listed above are great and the areas are amazing for rental tenants. Areas in the 32204, and parts of 32205 are hard to come by because of them being the "hip and trendy" areas at the moment. Murray Hill is a great area and we manage a few homes in that area currently. Also San Marco and St. Nicholas areas are great (32207). They offer great multi family units and St. Nicholas area also has great single family homes as well. I'd love to chat with you more about what Jacksonville has to offer.

  • Professional · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 397 posts · 34 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Cheryl Rathje:

    I'm thinking about purchasing single family homes in Jacksonville, Florida Interested in hearing thoughts on this area? Any particular area I should avoid? Thanks, Cheryl

     Any information on the budget or how much you want to splash? There are quite a few deals.

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 226 posts · 115 votes
    11y

    Great infomation on Jax market here! If you interesting in New Construction; North side by the airport and St Johns County are super hot right now. St Johns county schools are some of the best in the country and they are building a whole new town (Nocatee) right now. The north side is close to the airport/Jax port and is really getting built up with new commercial and residential. 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Cheryl Rathje

    Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community. It is a great place to learn about real estate.

  • West Orange, NJ · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Just joined BP and have to say this is a really great community. The info here about Jacksonville is really helping me out. 

    To add to this info I found this really helpful analysis that shows gentrification of very specific areas: http://www.governing.com/gov-data/jacksonville-gentrification-maps-demographic-data.html

    I do have an additional question however. What are your thoughts on Condos vs SF for rentals in the area. More specifically, do you believe condos will rent as well as SFs?

  • Charles A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 208 posts · 282 votes
    11y

    I have invested exclusively in Riverside and the beaches for the past 7 years.

    The neighborhoods close to the Saint Johns Town center also speak for themselves,but I haven't bought there so far.

    In any other parts of town,you're flirting with unpredictable vacancy rates.

    I live in Saint Johns County and will not advise you invest in "buy and hold" there unless you have deep pockets.

    You will be competing against owner occupiers and that usually means fewer steals.

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Hello all...I'm a new investor to the Jacksonville market.  I bought a single family home in late December, which is now undergoing rehab.  Any recommendations for good realtors, property managers or turn key companies?  I'm looking at lower end homes.  I'm interested in buy and hold for rental income.  Thanks

  • Member since 2018 · 208 posts · 90 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chelcie Rivers:

    Hey, I am a property manager and I work in the Jacksonville area. The comments that are listed above are great and the areas are amazing for rental tenants. Areas in the 32204, and parts of 32205 are hard to come by because of them being the "hip and trendy" areas at the moment. Murray Hill is a great area and we manage a few homes in that area currently. Also San Marco and St. Nicholas areas are great (32207). They offer great multi family units and St. Nicholas area also has great single family homes as well. I'd love to chat with you more about what Jacksonville has to offer.

    Hey, I am looking at a duplex in 32205 now. What do you say about that area in terms of neighborhood, vacancies, rent rates? Which property management company do you work with? 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 3 votes
    5y

    @Cheryl Rathje there are some areas you want to stay away from like the zip codes 32209 32208

  • Real Estate Broker · Mount Vernon, WA · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Andre Irigoyen

    Yes I saw a lot of houses for sale in this zip code for cheap and was wondering about this. Do you know what is going on at this area?

  • Rental Property Investor · Chino, CA · Member since 2021 · 51 posts · 30 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Cheryl Rathje:

    I'm thinking about purchasing single family homes in Jacksonville, Florida Interested in hearing thoughts on this area? Any particular area I should avoid? Thanks, Cheryl

    Hi Cheryl! I’m in California looking into Jacksonville now. Any luck in the area? 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.