How I increased equity 33% and lived rent free for 2 1/2 yrs

How I increased equity 33% and lived rent free for 2 1/2 yrs

Rental Property Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 83 votes

I purchased my first property in March 2013 right after graduating college with a bachelor’s in finance (Dec ’12) and months after getting my first professional job as a staff accountant (July ’12). Making $35k /yr was a lot more than I had made before but with rent, student loans, and car problems I was barely able to afford to pay my bills. I was able to borrow $3,500 from a family member for a 3.5% down payment on a $100k duplex. With one of the largest military bases nearby (Watertown, NY) rents tended to be higher than similar areas elsewhere.

There was cosmetic work that needed to be done but nothing I couldn’t learn to do. While the 3 bd lower unit rented for $900/mo and upper rented for $800/mo I knew with some work I could get more. I had both tenants out before closing because they were not the type I would rent to (filthy apartments, food left out for days, smoking, etc). I immediately threw down laminate flooring instead of the nasty carpets and repainted the entire house (interior).

While I initially rented the lower unit for $950/mo and lived in the upper, I brought rent down to attract long term tenants(still able to cover mortgage). I ended up re-doing a lot more (refinishing cupboards, installing ceramic tile in the shower and bathroom, new molding/doors, new front porch, garage door, etc).

I went through 1 eviction, a medically retired military family. Neither spouse worked but had substantial income through the military. After countless times catching them smoking inside and nights waking up from them blaring music upon other issues I contacted a lawyer and filed an eviction. I have it in the lease terms that any eviction expenses will be charged to the tenant. After all the new paint, time, and clean up their deposit did not cover much more than the lawyer fees. I was in the hole about $600 with vacancy and supplies after the eviction. I will never settle again to get a unit rented. I will also conduct any other evictions myself if possible. I wanted to make sure it was done 100% correct and no steps were missed.

My job allowed me to transfer to Atlanta closer to my wife's family. I was excited for the real estate opportunities there in the McDonough/Stockbridge area. With not having any reputable property managers in town (except my realtor) I decided to list my house. After a couple months with no real hits listing it FSBO, I listed with a realtor. He made it known that there was around 675 days of inventory on the market for both single and multi-family homes. Within 6 days of listing I had an offer and after negotiations we agreed on a full price offer ($132,000) with $5K back at closing.

I will close 2 weeks from the appraisal. With living for free (minus vacancies and investments) I have increased the value of my property ~33%. This is giving me a good chunk to invest in other properties with. I spent less than $9K in improvements but put a lot of sweat equity in to this house and it paid off. It has been rough at times dealing with tenant and property problems but well worth it.

One thing I have not mentioned yet is I had done substantial research when looking for this house. I watched the market every day at what was sitting, selling and renting for around 6 months or more. This was an essential step to being successful in my first investment.

One task I will add to my next investment will be to talk with the neighbors before buying. I was lucky to have great neighbors, but had looked at a couple houses in good areas with a couple neighbors that did not take care of their property.

I hope that someone will get something out of this. If I can give a few key pointers they would be:

  • Do your research, and then research some more before you invest in your first property. Jumping on opportunities quickly is for investors that know their market in and out.
  • Never settle on a tenant. If you have a feeling they won’t work out move on. Chances are that they will cost you more than they will save you by renting your unit out quicker. I don’t work with people on money at all (VERY, very rare circumstances may allow).
  • Don’t be afraid of sweat equity, especially if you are just starting out. YouTube was one of my best friends. Luckily I had a buddy to help on occasion but did just about everything myself. A lot of things end up being a lot easier than you would ever have thought.
3Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Asheville, NC · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 19 votes
10y

Good for you Chris and thanks for the informative post, I added this to my notes:

"I have it in the lease terms that any eviction expenses will be charged to the tenant"

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Eastlake, OH · Member since 2015 · 174 posts · 85 votes
    10y

    @Chris Virgil-Stone Great Job. Owner Occupied rentals are a great way to go!

  • Daytona Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    Great advice! 

    Im new to this world but really learning a lot. 

    What are the toughest things to deal with when house hacking? 

    Thank you

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Good for you Chris and thanks for the informative post, I added this to my notes:

    "I have it in the lease terms that any eviction expenses will be charged to the tenant"

  • Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Thanks Chris,

    This was really informative and I will add to my lease to add eviction expenses on the tenant also.

    Good luck with the next one!

    Thao

  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Chris Virgil-Stone

    This is taking massive action and being responsible for your future.  You are a true role model for all young people wanting to become financially free

    Awesome

    Gino

  • Rental Property Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 83 votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the positive feedback. @Rico Saldana the toughest part would be trying to rent while living in the property. Not many people want to live with their landlord. While it does provide some positive points (things are taken care of right away for good landlords) most tenants don’t want to live next to their landlord and I cannot blame them for that. I tried to relay to them to treat me as any neighbor like ( except on the 1st of the month lol) telling me if I am being too loud or what not.

    The best part of owner occupied is I was able to buy with 3.5% down. I wish I could do that every time. 

    One of my professors in college was @Brian Murray. He’s on Podcast 126. If you haven’t checked it out I encourage you to. He’s grown his business tremendously in a short amount of time and has had a positive impact on the local community.

  • Kenneth HynesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 359 posts · 92 votes
    10y
    Chris Great work on the house hack and building equity in your investment while you live in it. Are you planning a similiar strategy got Georgia ?
  • Rental Property Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 83 votes
    10y

    @kenneth Hynes. I don't plan on house hacking. I'm going to rent for around 6 months to learn the market better before buying a single family . I might be investing in a duplex initially  but will not live in it. Some properties I'm looking at would provide instant equity  to open up the possibility  to flip  a foreclosure. So I'm trying to learn more on the flipping end to fund more buy and holds.

  • Real Estate Investor · GA · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    Hey @Chris Virgil-Stone thanks so much for sharing you're experience.  Definitely something I needed to hear and take heed to.

    You mentioned "I had both tenants out before closing because they were not the type I would rent to" and that next time you will try to do eviction yourself. How did you get both tenants out before closing? Were both leases up or did you give them cash for keys?

    My partners and I are in the process of helping a seller evict an unpaying tenant out of one of the homes we are in the process of buying. And I also have another property I'm putting in an offer for and rent is below market but lease just started. So any advice on getting tenants out quickly would be helpful. 

  • Lynnwood, WA · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 157 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Virgil-Stone:

    I will never settle again to get a unit rented. I will also conduct any other evictions myself if possible. 

    I had done substantial research when looking for this house. I watched the market every day at what was sitting, selling and renting for around 6 months or more. 

    • Do your research, and then research some more before you invest in your first property. 
    • Never settle on a tenant. If you have a feeling they won’t work out move on. 
    • Don’t be afraid of sweat equity (...) YouTube was one of my best friends.

     Plus plus plus. Nice learnings, and please post some more - you are a good writer as well!

  • Remote · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Can't beat it! I am doing something similar to this in northwest Ohio and getting a $50 positive cash flow each month, it's not much but it's amazing how much more we can put back to find other deals! Great job!
  • Rental Property Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 83 votes
    10y

    Thanks Doug & Charlie! I've never liked writing so that's nice to hear.

    @Tracy Ellison When putting in the purchase offer I made it a condition of the property being empty. One of the tenants was still there but out within a week. I didn't make a big deal of this as it gave me time to work on the downstairs (3bd, more rent) before working on the upstairs. The security deposits were given to me which I fully refunded even though the condition they left the property in didn't support this. I did this to start fresh and not have to deal with those people. Similar to a cash for keys situation.

    The new owner wants the property vacant as they are using it as an in law suite. Luckily my tenant had just been discharged from the military, so I was able to alleviate him from his lease and make the new owner happy. I would suggest putting that you want the property vacant as a condition of the sale. If they have to go through with the eviction process, just push the closing date out if need be. If it cost them a grand or a bit more, it shouldn't be a monetary issue if they are making any profit on the sale (it's their fault the bad tenant is in there in the first place). I think it's good you are helping them with it by maybe referring a good eviction attorney or showing them the process. 

    My realtor mentioned that new owners have to honor the lease that was in place before the sale but if there is a violation or non payment that allows for eviction then you obviously would not be subjected to that. Good luck with it. I hope they don't damage the property in the process. I've looked at some properties in Marietta where you are (that's closer to my work in Buckhead). How do you like the area for investing?

  • Real Estate Investor · GA · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Chris Virgil-Stone. I thought you may have had some "tenant be-gone" spray you could share.  We do have that language in the contract and wish they were one of those tenants who knows when its time to just walk away. We have court scheduled for the 3rd, looks like we will be going the length of the process. 

    Indeed, you are bound by the lease as the new owner. This situation just has a twist, there's no lease in place and tenant is a friend of a relative of the owner and won't leave. Long story short, it's pretty much hijacked right now. 

    Marietta is an awesome place to live and invest. Mostly suburban but close to everything slightly outside of the I-285 "Perimeter". Cobb county as a whole is on a pretty stable incline. Marietta prices are on this high end compared to the rest of Cobb county and the Metro Atlanta area as a whole. Med sold price here in Sept was at $230,500 on its way down from the high Summer months at $255,200, and up from $125,000 Feb 2012 bottom of market. 

    I sent off a yellow letter to a Marietta probate lead a couple of months ago. House was bought as a new build in 2005 for $327K and now in 2015 its estimated at $1.2M! I would say wholesaling, flipping, buy & hold and appreciation can all be profitable here. But like most places, different neighborhoods and zipcodes have different strategies that work best.

  • Bradley, IL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hey Chris,

    Great advice! Thank you for posting. I'm looking to start off the same way. How was the process of getting your FHA? Think that is the route I'm going to take, but hear it can be kind of tedious.

    Good luck in Georgia! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 83 votes
    10y

    @Tracy Ellison It sounds like you are in the right market! Are there any reputable management companies in the area? I typically self-manage but I plan to live south of the city. So did you already try cash for keys? That's something I may try in the future if needed. Possibly for any future properties you can have the unit(s) vacant as a condition of sale (at least if there is no lease in place). 

    @Adam Kravat, It was simple for me. I'm assuming just like any conventional mortgage. I went through Homestead Funding. The typical 3.5% down and locked in 3.25% interest rate. Good luck and I definitely suggest it as a way to get started with little money to invest. I would just try to live within your current means and reinvest any extra money from living "rent free". That is something I did not do as well and would have walked away with much more if I had.

  • Damir KamberPro Member
    Investor · Roswell, GA · Member since 2014 · 234 posts · 97 votes
    10y

    Great first deal @Chris Virgil-Stone sounds like you learned quite a bit in the process. Keep learning but also sharing, which gives people a competitive advantage. It's ok to share your knowledge with others and we thank you for that.

    Are you again looking for a duplex or are you focusing your next deal to be a rehab? 

    Cheers! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 83 votes
    10y

    @Damir, thanks! I'm hoping to find an undervalued duplex to buy and take cash out on the instant equity to buy a flip. I'm going to live in the area for a few months before I seriously look to buy a flip project just to learn the area a little better. I've researched the duplex market quite a bit. Right now I'm just waiting to hear back on the job transfer to start looking at the houses.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.