Hard Money and How Do I Protect My Deposit?

Hard Money and How Do I Protect My Deposit?

Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 109 votes

I'm planning on making an offer on a house tomorrow. If the bank accepts, I need to give a 10% cash deposit within 48 hours. Ok, I've got that covered. However, I plan on using a hard money loan on this transaction as well. My RE agent asked how I wanted him to write the contract/what contingencies/etc to include. I've never used hard money before so I'd like to write the contract in such a way that if for any reason the hard money loan doesn't come through, I will receive my deposit back. I'm worried what if the hard money lender appraises the property and thinks it won't ARV for what I've estimated or he rejects the comps I've submitted him and won't fund? (I do have a pre-approval letter, but that means little really).

What contingency am I asking for here? Financing? Due diligence? How long of a time period do I tell my RE agent to write in the contract so I have enough time for a hard money lender to do their due diligence on the property I've submitted them and choose to fund? (I realize a RE attorney would be helpful here, but mine is not available for a few days) I'm not sure how long should say I need for the hard money to choose to fund me or not? I'm very concerned with getting back my thousands of dollars deposit if the HML won't fund and I'm searching the internet for "clauses" to protect my money. Any advice? Thank you all!

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y

@Shannon K., way to put yourself under pressure like that!

Don't be handing over any dollars, except into an Escrow Account that YOU trust. If you are unsure how/who to do that, or how to word your due diligence contingency terms  (as well as that "ability to secure financing" clause), then your Offer would best be served as an understanding in principle - awaiting confirmation from your RE Attorney. [Not legal advice, but hopefully sensible].

And, don't be handing over ANY dollars! (That was worth repeating)!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · White Hall, AR · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Make the entire real estate contract, contingent upon the ability to secure financing.  Which covers all types of financing associated with this transactions.  Thus: your 10% down, hard money lender funds, and any other funds that may be associated with this deal.

    Good Luck.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Shannon K., way to put yourself under pressure like that!

    Don't be handing over any dollars, except into an Escrow Account that YOU trust. If you are unsure how/who to do that, or how to word your due diligence contingency terms  (as well as that "ability to secure financing" clause), then your Offer would best be served as an understanding in principle - awaiting confirmation from your RE Attorney. [Not legal advice, but hopefully sensible].

    And, don't be handing over ANY dollars! (That was worth repeating)!

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    10y

    So you are going to have 2 loans for this house. Mortgage companies do not like other loans with their loan.Fact they make you prove you have money in the bank for 60 days with no big moves .

    Hard money loans are very hard to get the reject 75% of their loans .They go over everything with a fine tooth comb and then some .

  • Rehabber · Smyrna, GA · Member since 2013 · 864 posts · 510 votes
    10y

    Hard money rejects 75% of their loans?  Not real hard money then, or a lot of people that don't know their numbers applying for them.

    I've never heard of a 10% deposit requirement.  Sounds pretty steep.

    Like has been said, your contract has a lot of outs, not sure what the bank will say on a finance contingency on a fire sale, they tend to like cash transactions when they are giving lots of equity away for a fast/easy sale.  

    Personally I just like to sneak in a long *** due diligence period.  21 days or so should do it, and watch that date, I lost $8k because I tried to cancel last minute the last day and I couldn't get my agent on the phone in 2013.  Not fun.  Who is your lender?  You need to check them out pretty thoroughly, hard money lenders vary greatly based on how they fund their deals.  The vast majority of them are using other people's money so are beholden to their rules and their cash flow.  A true hard money lender is loaning on the property, not the individual so if your deal is straight the money should be there.  LOTS of "Hard Money" lenders that aren't true collateral lenders, though (meaning the asset, not the borrower, is what qualifies the loan).

  • Lender · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Just make sure there is a Financing contingency clause.  Email me if you want me to look over anything for you.  I agree with others remarks about the 10% and especially about the need for that deposit check to be given to title company and the check written to the title company.  I know you are awesome at sniffing out rats Shannon.  Be careful here and if your BS alarm goes off, don't ignore it.  

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 109 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Billy Smith:

    So you are going to have 2 loans for this house. Mortgage companies do not like other loans with their loan.Fact they make you prove you have money in the bank for 60 days with no big moves .

    Hard money loans are very hard to get the reject 75% of their loans .They go over everything with a fine tooth comb and then some .

    There are not 2 loans for this house. There's just 1 hard money loan I'm trying to figure out how to structure to protect my cash deposit...

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 109 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Darrell Shepherd:

    I've never heard of a 10% deposit requirement.  Sounds pretty steep.

    Like has been said, your contract has a lot of outs, not sure what the bank will say on a finance contingency on a fire sale, they tend to like cash transactions when they are giving lots of equity away for a fast/easy sale.  

    Personally I just like to sneak in a long *** due diligence period.  21 days or so should do it, and watch that date, I lost $8k because I tried to cancel last minute the last day and I couldn't get my agent on the phone in 2013.  Not fun.  Who is your lender?  You need to check them out pretty thoroughly, hard money lenders vary greatly based on how they fund their deals.  The vast majority of them are using other people's money so are beholden to their rules and their cash flow.  A true hard money lender is loaning on the property, not the individual so if your deal is straight the money should be there.  LOTS of "Hard Money" lenders that aren't true collateral lenders, though (meaning the asset, not the borrower, is what qualifies the loan).

    Hi there Darrell.  I've made 1 other offer on a house and they also asked for a 10% deposit to be given within 48 hours. One was a Fannie Mae property. This next house is not. 10% seems to be the norm here in Buffalo? I didn't realize there was room for negotiation there. And yes, I will be cognizant of dates. I was planning on using RCN Capital as my lender. They seemed to be a good fit for what I was looking for after the long chat I had with them.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Typically, a cash offer has a 10% EM, a financed offer, 2% or so.  Your offer will be contingent upon financing, not as strong as a cash offer.  Didn't your agent tell you this, or are you using the listing agent?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.