As a first investment, should I look to flip or house hack?

As a first investment, should I look to flip or house hack?

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 75 votes

I’m from San Diego and went to school in LA. I’ll be moving to Pittsburgh late summer to start work in commercial real estate (lending). I joined BP to learn the residential side and I hope to dabble in private real estate investment as I progress through my life. One note: my job has me in Pittsburgh for 18-24 months - there’s a possibility it might be up to 36 months.

As a California kid all my life, moving to the North East is a huge move for me (what's winter? Never heard of it). I did a summer in NYC for an internship and have been to Pittsburgh for the interviews for this job, but It’ll be a complete change.

Here are two options I’ve thought of:

1) Owner occupy a 2-4 unit.

There are a few neighborhoods that I’ve been recommend to check out to live in from friends (Shadyside, Southside, Lawerenceville). It looks like these have the highest demand, thus the acquisition prices are higher and competition among other investors is fierce.

Adv: Can take advantage of strong rental rates, start building an income-based portfolio, and take advantage of PA lending programs that can lend up to $6,000 repaid at 0% interest over 10 years that goes towards closing costs. Can take advantage of putting down between $5-15k.

Disadv: My lack of knowledge about the neighborhoods without living there makes it extremely challenging to connect with RE professionals, view potential opportunities, and keeping a close eye on trends. I’m concerned I’m going to have to find a place month to month to lease for a few months until I acquire something. LL’ing with a full-time job might be tough? (Can be mitigated by prop. mgmt).

2) Flip 

I’ve been reading that Pittsburgh is also one of the hottest flip markets in the country as well. I’m seeing people sell property for prices like $40k-150k. In SD, your D class dumpy house wouldn’t sell less than $200k. So the barrier to entry is much lower for someone without a ton of cash like me. 

Adv: Low barrier to entry and seems like a compelling market to flip. Ability to connect with investors to fund rehabs (both in the Burgh and from back home?). Have the ability to settle down, find a place to rent, learn the neighborhoods, and then take 4-6 months to do a flip once all that is taken care of. I have the power not to get stuck with RE out of state in case the time comes to move back to the west coast.

Disadv: Little knowledge and experience about rehabs (well anything really) and the types of homes common in the North East. May be difficult to work a full time job and do flips. Is it possible I take on more risk at losing my capital?

Bonus 3) Channel my inner Donald Trump and do both at the same time

I think this came out longer than I anticipated, but hopefully someone can help me out!

Link to that PA program: http://www.phfa.org/consumers/homebuyers/advantage.aspx

1Reply
36 views

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John PowellPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 153 votes
    10y

    House hack if you have the chance. Rely on RE professionals to get you in a good area with upside potential the slight miscalculation on the property will be overcome by the fact that you are getting a place to live. I would look for a small multi that is livable but could be rehabbed to bring greater rent. This would be doing both at the same time and you can rehab one unit at a time. You will save a ton of time and learn more due to the rehabs being at the same place that you live (no commute to your flip house).  As someone who has a full-time job and has done multiple rehabs you can't under estimate the time it takes to meet contractors and check up on their work. If you can swing by and check progress before or after work it makes a huge difference in learning curve and keeping contractors honest.  

  • Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
    10y

    You have two major obstacles that you mention and both could wipe you out. You come from an expensive area and you can't assume that a $20,000 house must be a good deal. It may be worth zero or less. There are more crooked contractors than good ones. Going for a month to month rent until you can network with people to find out what, who and where is reputable is critical when you don't have experience. Maybe find a meeting of real estate people there and attend and grow your knowledge. There are many who buy around the country successfully but they typically have been doing it for years and know how to avoid the mistakes you will likely make.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 22 votes
    10y

    Hi Austin,

    Congratulations on the new position in Pittsburgh. It's a great city to live in and a terrific city to invest in. Between your two options, I would recommend house hacking. This is something I've had a lot of success with in the city. I started by living in a triplex and renting out the other two units. Since then, I've been able to rehab them, take out equity, and I now have 9 units. For me, this has been the preferred approach since I have a full-time job that requires much more the 40 hours per week.

    If you're concerned about finding agents, contractors, etc. in the area, please feel free to private message me. I'm happy to share the contacts in my network.

  • Youngstown, OH · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Hello Austin Mudd ! I actually went to college in Pittsburgh. I think Shadyside and Southside are great rental markets. The only problem is that they are expensive to buy. Another thing is Southside is big with college students so there's a good chance you'll be renting to them. It has lots of bars around and gets really crazy on weekend nights. There are a lot of colleges in and around the city. I lived in a rental that was a fixed up 4 bedroom in Southside and paid 2750 (all together). Shady Side is more sophisticated and calm. Mount Washington is also a good place to look into for rentals. Parking in Southside is awful just a warning lol anyways that's my input. Good luck !
  • ., OH · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 127 votes
    10y

    I was born & raised in the 'burgh!  Beautiful city, great people and some great sports teams!! That being said, I haven't lived there in years, but I lived on the north shore. Shaler / North Hills area. 

    My 2 cents..  If I had the $, I'd house hack. A few reasons for this.. 

    1) You would have the opportunity to 'learn' the contractor side of flipping. Maybe get a contractor that would be willing to teach as well as do the work. Maybe you'd pay more, but it would be worth it, right..?  then you can straight flip once you've got the knowledge.

    2) Build your network..  working with different contractors (fixing your house hack) you would start to know who's good and who's not. best methods and prices..  does HD floors cost that same in cali as they do in Pgh??  ( I don't know)

    Either way, whatever you choose, post back on BP any questions or updates!  There are always people here to help!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Hi @Austin Mudd, I am in a similar situation to you.  I am looking to house hack a 3-4 unit building.  The reason I want to do this is that house hacking will free up capital for other projects down the road.  I am pretty new to bigger pockets but I have already found some great people on here who are more than happy to help me out.  Maybe look for some people on these boards who invest in the same area you are looking, and connect with them.  good luck

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 359 posts · 143 votes
    10y

    Flipping takes more time than landlording unless you have connections already. so if you are concerned about working a full time job and doing something else I would go with house hacking. But you could do a 203k loan and flip a 2-4 unit to house hack, that is what I did for my first deal.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    @John Powell what sort of hoops do I have to jump through if I'm acquiring a building that needs rehab. I'd need to obtain a 203(k) correct? What kind of red tape is there with that, and what does the timeline look like @Austin Youmans maybe you have some insight too?

    @Ed Emmons When i was in the burgh for interviews we actually went out in Southside and I definitely got that impression, but it looks like a fun place. I'll look toward Mt. Washington too, how's the commute downtown (where I'll be working?)

  • Youngstown, OH · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Austin Mudd I don't think the commute is that bad! Especially if you're driving however I am not totally sure. The Southside area is a quick commute to downtown but riding the bus is a pain!! Driving isn't bad just expensive for parking
  • Matthew PorcaroBusiness Member
    Lender · Long Island, NY · Member since 2016 · 456 posts · 336 votes
    10y

    @Austin Mudd the 203k is the route you would need to take to rehab a multifamily. A 203k loan can be lent out for up to a 4-unit building. I'm actually in the process of trying to buy a duplex using a 203k loan. There is some red tape on the 203k. A few notable points are hiring a licensed contractor approved by the bank for the repairs of the property, having to live in the property for at least a year, and essentially only look for Fannie Mae/HomePath foreclosures. There's a lot of paperwork, coordinating, and requirements, but if you have your ducks in a row it's a nice way to force some appreciation into the property with the rehab. 

    The 203k Way
  • Gino PassantePro Member
    Professional · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    @Austin Mudd Your drive is commendable, but be realistic about your time. Flipping can be a full time job, even if you're not doing the work yourself because you'll still want to maintain a strong on-site presence. Since you're in PA to do a job, you'd be better off making a good connection with a reputable management firm and letting them do most of the legwork. You won't lose money on buying and selling fees and you'll enjoy the extra income. You seem very informed, so you shouldn't have trouble identifying a company with your best interests in mind. Good luck!

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2014 · 359 posts · 143 votes
    10y

    Yes, you would need a 203k Loan.

    Talk to a local real estate agent and find one that has done 203k loans in the past as they do have their own set of rules and hoops to jump through.

    The time line really depend. I ran into some mold issues and an appraiser that wouldn't do his job so mine took longer but I am told that most can close in 60 days.

    Hoops:

    1) you have to hire a general contractor to do anything under the loan. (Get a contractor that will work with you so you can piece out some other work.) ( I did cosmetic repairs myself and did not include it in the loan because any work done under the loan can not be done by you)

    2) min rehab budget of $5,000 and max of $35,000 for a streamline 203k which is what I did. (not sure how it is different from a full 203k.) (the max amount also need to include a 15% emergency fund)

    3) contractors need to bid the project by line item and given to the lender.

    I am sure there are other things but that is what I can think of at the moment.

    So definitely find a lender and a agent that has done these before so they can help you through the process.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    I would advice from staying away from a flip unless you have the experience/knowledge. You will end up spending a lot more money and time if you are figuring out as you go. I suggest finding a local mentor via BP or meetups and learn about rehabbing first (costs, timeline, what to look for, what to avoid, etc.)

  • John PowellPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2015 · 308 posts · 153 votes
    10y

    On my first rehab deal in 2013 I had maybe 30K to my name, a decent job 60k year and good credit. I looked into a 203K loan to do a rehab but found that in my case it was easier to buy the house with a construction loan then take it out with a traditional mortgage after renovations were complete. The red tape involved with a 203K was extensive and I would have been dealing with and individual in a cubical somewhere who would be managing the bureaucracy. The construction loan was from a local bank and was very simple. They did an appraisal that was contingent on planned improvements to the property then they lent me up to 75% of that ARV. I took the first draw to buy the house then any time I need money I just called the bank and they would cut a check in the amount that I needed up to the remaining available credit. In my cases there were no questions asked as to what the money was being used to pay for and no one ever questioned my choice on contractor or scope of work. Once all work was completed I got a traditional mortgage to pay off the construction loan.

  • Investor · Clayton , NC · Member since 2012 · 63 posts · 86 votes
    10y

    @Austin Mudd 

    I would look at a house hack as a long term flip.  Find an MFH that needs a little work and has some upside potential.  You move in, make the improvements, possibly increase rents and the overall value of the property.  Then when you're ready to move in in 2-3 years you can either hang on to it as a longer term buy and hold or sell it at a profit.  

    In this scenario you get the best of both worlds by having someone fund your personal mortgage and profiting from the improvements you make.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Westboro, MA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 471 votes
    10y

    Hi @Austin Mudd 

    Personally, I am looking to house hack and build equity. I am able to move out after one year and cash flow with the property. 

    With what you are putting down, run the numbers and check your numbers to see if the percentages work for you, 

    If you don't know the neighborhoods, check listing daily for trulia, trulia, and MLS. THis will show you the prices in your markets. Also Craigslist can show you your market prices for rent, as well as padhopper.

    Focus on Flip or Buy and Hold, just focus on one to fully understand it. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 149 posts · 75 votes
    10y

    @John Powell that's a great way of getting around the FHA route. @John Upperman that seems to be a great plan by being able to take advantage of cash flow and then cash out your equity. I'll keep that in mind.

    @Austin Youmans that's informative, appreciate it. Sounds like a lot of stuff. @gino 

    @Gino Passante are you talking about connecting with a property management firm to handle my MFH or a management firm to handle something else?

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Austin Mudd why not do both? Your first 6 months there find a place to house hack or owner occupy and then your last 1-2 years there do a couple flips. 

  • Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Check out some of the local REI groups when you arrive. There are a few out there. Pittsburgh Real Estate Investors is a great one to check out. It's headed up by a guy named Jerry Kisasonak. Request to join the Facebook group, alot of great people to connect to that know Pittsburgh and the ins and outs of investing in the local market. All my blessings to your journey here in Pittsburgh.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.