Best retort to "send your best offer"?

Best retort to "send your best offer"?

Developer · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2016 · 71 posts · 25 votes
Seems like every time I put an offer on a property that is less than asking price (or even when it is asking price), they come back with "send your best offer". I get it from their perspective, it's a smart response, but what's the best way to respond to this? If I just give them the best offer then it completely eliminates any negotiating ability, so is there a way to respond that opens up the discussion for negotiating back-and-forth?
0Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Roy N.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y

@Ben Ballinger

We had a realtor come back to us last week with the same line ... so I resubmitted our offer 10K less than the first time.   

The realtor called back both a little confused and a little perturbed and asked why we would send a lower offer.   My response was that he did not indicate "best for whom" when he asked for our best offer.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    You know the old saying, if your offer doesn't insult the seller than it's too high!

    When asked "Is that your best offer?" I've also come back with terms. Sometimes it's finding their hot button: Is it price, terms, or a quick closing?

    For example, I'll give someone full price if I can get 0% interest.

    And on the flip side of that question, I've had success saying "Is that the best you can do?" up to 5 consecutive times without changing my stance.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    We have made both a cash offer with a quick close and a financed offer (with more terms and a longer close) simultaneously when negotiating with a Vendor - the cash offer is obviously lower than the financed version.  Depending on the Vendor's priorities, they sometimes do accept 5% less for no strings and quick cash.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.