Financing first, then find the deal? Or other way around?

Financing first, then find the deal? Or other way around?

Investor · Black Diamond, WA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 127 votes

My business partner and I are gearing up to do our first buy and hold deal (or possibly BRRR depending on the deal). We have a handful of friends that would like to invest or partner with us, but since we haven't gotten the specific property picked out, we haven't been able to finalize the numbers to get them committed to the deal.

I'd like to start driving for dollars and sending letters now, so we can find great off-market properties, analyze the deal, then pitch it to our investors/partners.  However, my agent recommends that we not send out letters until we have our financing nailed down so the seller knows we are serious and that we can close quickly.  My business partner and I are both entrepreneurs, and can not prequalify for much of a loan, so we are relying on our investors or partners for financing.   

We are sort of at a stand-still because of this, so I would really appreciate any advice or insight you all may have. 

 It should be noted that we are NOT buying in a hot urban market.  We are buying cabins in a small area in the mountains to buy, fix up slightly, furnish, and rent as vacation rentals.  We have had tons of success with our 6 bedroom vacation rental in Seattle, and now ready to try it in the mountains. 

Thanks!

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 139 posts · 80 votes
10y

If it were me, I would get all the financial end sorted out first so that you can show a proof of funds letter to the seller when you make them an offer to buy their home. I definitely have to agree with your agent on this one. If your friends are serious about investing with you, I would get all the paperwork put together, figure out how you are going to structure the business entity and open a bank account with the funds ready to go. Are they only willing to put up money if you have a deal in front of them? 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 139 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    If it were me, I would get all the financial end sorted out first so that you can show a proof of funds letter to the seller when you make them an offer to buy their home. I definitely have to agree with your agent on this one. If your friends are serious about investing with you, I would get all the paperwork put together, figure out how you are going to structure the business entity and open a bank account with the funds ready to go. Are they only willing to put up money if you have a deal in front of them? 

  • Investor · Black Diamond, WA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 127 votes
    10y

    @Erica Muller  Thank you again for your advice!  Sounds like we just need to settle on the numbers that work best for us based on our research, lock in an investor, put the money in the bank, then look for a property that means our criteria.  

  • Anthony SuscoPro Member
    Lender · Turnersville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 68 votes
    10y

    @Andy Whitcomb,

    I agree with @Erica Muller. In the current "cash is king" market, you really need a solid POF to submit offers and ultimately get them accepted.

    If your investors are only looking to fund part of each deal and don't want to put up any money before they see what project you have to offer, you could go the route of a HML. Usually you can do a very quick pre-approval and get a POF letter with bank statement to get the ball rolling.

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Can I piggyback on this question?  I am in a very similar situation, but in Northern California market. I've previously flipped 3 houses. Now, i am starting it full-time. I keep hearing about finding funding first, yet when I do they always want a property address. How do you recommend finding funds?

  • Virtual Assistant · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2015 · 92 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    In the past,  when asked for a properties address i've written in TBD (to be determined). Your lender should not give you any probems. If they do change lending source. Located an investor friendly lender.

  • Investor · Black Diamond, WA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 127 votes
    10y

    @Anthony Susco Yes, I have considered HML as a financing option, but since I might not qualify to refinance after renovations, I sort of wrote off HML as a funding option. However, if I use HML to get the property, then I can use a partner to refinance. OR, I could just use the HML pre-approval as POF and then go to my investor or partner to actually fund the deal after I have found it. Would that be acceptable, or is it shady of me to do to the hard money lender?

  • Specialist · TX · Member since 2010 · 64 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    As and agent for a small number of HML'ers they always want you to have a contract first then get the funding. I know that makes it harder but they are so busy with potential deals to fund that they do not want to or like spending time on "maybe" deals. One suggestion I have is to establish a line of unsecure available funds to draw from when and as needed. This works great as long as you have the ability to use it wisely. For info please feel free to contact me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.