Do you use a LLC for every deal regardless if it's a SF, MF...

Do you use a LLC for every deal regardless if it's a SF, MF...

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 11 votes

I currently have 2 SFR and am searching for my third one.

I do have equity in everything.

Should I buy the rest of my properties within a LLC per deal?

Who would y'all recommend in the Dallas Fort Worth area for this service?

I'm also looking for a CPA that understands real estate taxes.

Thanks for the help,

Scott

0Reply
17 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Hey Scott. I just completed setting up my LLC in Dallas and used Joe Davisson. He was very helpful and understands investing. He also connected me to a CPA who is an investor himself. I was very pleased with Joe who is with Smith & Collins. Joe's office is in Dallas. PM me and I will give you his number if you can't find by looking up Smith & Collins.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y

    Nah.  I do hold my commercial 5+ unit apt bldgs in LLCs, but not my houses that have mortgages on them.  Too much of a pain financing and insuring them.  I just act above board and carry good insurance.
    Search on here: 'I'm trying to buy a house with my LLC.. any lenders out there?' In the name of asset protection (LOL) you are getting crummy short-term, higher rate, adjustable, callable commercial loans.

    Good luck with your third buy @Scott Ewell! 

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Scott Ewell I don't put each property in a separate LLC, but all properties are in an LLC. I decide which LLC based on the partners I have in the deal. You can set up the LLC yourself easily, but the real trick to making it worth anything is to have your lawyer advise you on all you need to do to maintain the liability protection. Just having it in an LLC doesn't mean much.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Scott Ewell,

    Connect with me and I can refer you to my group's tax and legal expert (he's a JD/CPA).

    Jason is on the right track. You want to limit the value of property in each LLC so losing one doesn't take a big bite out of you.

    You'll need insurance, even with an entity structure, and you'll want to have it set up so your revocable trust owns your business entities and not you personally. The Tax and legal guy('s people) can lay that out for you. 

    The goal should be to "Control everything, own nothing".

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.