SFR Appraisal cost in Seattle area through the roof

SFR Appraisal cost in Seattle area through the roof

Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 110 votes

Looks like SFR appraisal costs are through the roof in Seattle area. I am financing two houses (SFR) in Pierce county and bank appraisal costs for each house $1k. These are regular non-expedited appraisals.

Want to hear peoples experience from the area.

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 500 posts · 243 votes
9y

Doesn't sound quite right. I had a duplex appraised last year in Tacoma, it was an expedited job and cost me $1,100. Non-expedited would have been about $650.

I did recently have an inspection of a 6-unit apartment building run me $1,500; that was quite the hit but would have been worth it if the seller had been willing to compromise on price as it would have basically given me a complete scope of work to give to the GC for repairs.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 531 posts · 266 votes
    9y

    Thats high, in Chicago they are more like $500. I would check with a different bank. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Palm Harbor, FL · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 43 votes
    9y

    Hi Rudy,

    It does sounds a bit too high, unless they are complex assignments. In Central Florida they are around $450-$550 for standard SFR.

    Best wishes. 

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 500 posts · 243 votes
    9y

    Doesn't sound quite right. I had a duplex appraised last year in Tacoma, it was an expedited job and cost me $1,100. Non-expedited would have been about $650.

    I did recently have an inspection of a 6-unit apartment building run me $1,500; that was quite the hit but would have been worth it if the seller had been willing to compromise on price as it would have basically given me a complete scope of work to give to the GC for repairs.

  • Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 997 votes
    9y

    @Rudy Manna yeah that seems way too high.  Total price for both should be $1,000.  Have you asked the lender what's going on?

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    I ordered an appraisal a couple/few months ago on a 4-plex in Tacoma that came in at $750. I also just had an appraisal done less than a month ago on a condo in Bremerton that ran $700. Neither appraisal was expedited. Hope that is helpful.
  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 110 votes
    9y

    @Ben Lukes 

    @Alex Chin

    Which banks are you using?

    It seemed high to me as well. Bank tells me it just went up few weeks ago. 

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 500 posts · 243 votes
    9y

    I was working with Freedom Mortgage, but do not recommend them and intend to refinance to move my account to another lender in the spring.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Good.

    Appraisal fees need to go up. 

    I hope they go up in the Bay Area too.

    Appraisal income hasn't been tracking with inflation or CPI for some time. As a result, no young person with an IQ over 75 is getting into residential appraising. And yet we frequently hear complaints about the quality of appraisals.

    Can't have it both ways.

    We either pay appraisers a respectable living wage appropriate for their education, training, and licensing requirements, and the work it takes to do an appraisal up to Fannie/Freddie standards, or all y'all's BRRRR deals are going to blow up during the refi appraisal.

    Pick one.

  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 110 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Chris Mason:

    Good.

    Appraisal fees need to go up. 

    I hope they go up in the Bay Area too.

    Appraisal income hasn't been tracking with inflation or CPI for some time. As a result, no young person with an IQ over 75 is getting into residential appraising. And yet we frequently hear complaints about the quality of appraisals.

    Can't have it both ways.

    We either pay appraisers a respectable living wage appropriate for their education, training, and licensing requirements, and the work it takes to do an appraisal up to Fannie/Freddie standards, or all y'all's BRRRR deals are going to blow up during the refi appraisal.

    Pick one.

     I am not trying to make a determination on how much they should be paid.

    All I am trying to understand is that if I am paying above market rates, i.e, what others are paying.

    On another note the appraisal rates were $400-$500 in 2012, which almost doubled in 4 years, so they aren't tracking CPI isn't right. Whether its enough or not is another question.

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    @Rudy Manna Those were with Movement Mortgage and Penrith Home Loans, which are both mortgage companies rather than banks.  I think you should be able to find better rates.  I had been told appraisals would cost me much more before I went through the process with both of these lenders.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    On properties $650k and below I typically pay about $600. Above that level it usually tracks with the price of the property. $800k property $800 etc.  However to expedite them, Im typically looking at $200 to $500 more. This is the DC metro area.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    just to give an update on this old thread, I just paid for an appraisal in tacoma for a refinance on $750,000 house and it cost me $860

  • Aaron NelsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 307 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    @Justin Murray - That seems about right. The last few my clients have had done are +/- $100 of that amount. I have noticed that a lot of small multifamily appraisals seem to be taking longer but nothing like it was a couple of years ago. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.