Purchasing a house with Steel Ibeam repair.

Purchasing a house with Steel Ibeam repair.

Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 3 votes

Hey folks, i went and checked out my first potential deal today and wanted to see what folks on Bigger Pockets had to say about an issue that made me a bit uneasy. The basement has some concrete that has bowed in a bit and has been reinforced with a few steel i beams. I was wondering if this is something that will cause trouble down the road? Or effect resale value?  Are the beams a permanent fix or just temporary? Any info would be appreciated! 

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 95 posts · 14 votes
9y

Hey Wes! I think you will want an engineer to look at this. It looks to me form your picture that the concrete wall is bowing into the basement there, is that it? So the I-Beam was installed to hold the structure up since the concrete was no longer structurally sound, right?

As far as residential construction material, I-Beam is just about the strongest you can get, but my concern, as an amateur, looking at it would be how they are transferring the load to the ground. There needs to be something with mass under the beams to support the weight above. Normally this would be a footer --- a mass of concrete under the original concrete wall and underground. If the I-Beams are not resting on something solid like that then they will do very little to hold the weight of anything above the.

In short, I would ask the seller for documentation that what they did was done to an engineers specifications and if they do not have that already, that's certainly a concern and a warning that they may have put this together themselves... either way I'd get an independent person to look at it and say it's either good to go or needs to be corrected.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 95 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Hey Wes! I think you will want an engineer to look at this. It looks to me form your picture that the concrete wall is bowing into the basement there, is that it? So the I-Beam was installed to hold the structure up since the concrete was no longer structurally sound, right?

    As far as residential construction material, I-Beam is just about the strongest you can get, but my concern, as an amateur, looking at it would be how they are transferring the load to the ground. There needs to be something with mass under the beams to support the weight above. Normally this would be a footer --- a mass of concrete under the original concrete wall and underground. If the I-Beams are not resting on something solid like that then they will do very little to hold the weight of anything above the.

    In short, I would ask the seller for documentation that what they did was done to an engineers specifications and if they do not have that already, that's certainly a concern and a warning that they may have put this together themselves... either way I'd get an independent person to look at it and say it's either good to go or needs to be corrected.

  • Investor · Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2016 · 551 posts · 218 votes
    9y

    Form the picture it is hard to deal if this was done right. But because there are at least four beams instead of just two in the corners attached to footers with a cross beam on top of them spanning the width I would say that this was a DIY fix. There should be documentation somewhere about how this was fixed, and by whom, if it was done professionally.

    Certainly the seller knew this would be an issue when they sold so if it was done correctly they will have the documentation. If it was not done right though, that does not make this a deal buster. You can get a heck of a price reduction due to this issue as it will turn 95% of buyers away from this.

    Figure the cost of this fix into your numbers and go from there. Bring in a contractor that has experience would foundation issues for a bid during a walk through.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    I would be looking elsewhere . Unless you want to dig behind that wall and pour a new footer and lay new block . 

  • Vendor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 144 posts · 58 votes
    9y

    This is done around here quite a bit.  They tie the beams into the joists above too.  I always wonder how it would hold up the long run.  Seems like it would push on the rest of the house.  I've seen a few that looked like they were done long ago with no issues.  I would count on more issues, it wouldn't stop me from buying the house if I could get it for the right price.

    House I just did a bunch of work in they had a foundation guy come in for the same problem.  He dug up the outside and poured a new foundation against the old cinder block one.

  • Contractor · Peoria, IL · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    I put anywhere from 600-800 of those in houses every year in my area. It is a very common problem in my area with our soils and the older houses that have block walls that were never reinforced. Steel I beams are common because if the wall isn't bowed bad, it saves a lot money compared to digging out the wall and either pushing it back and reinforcing it or laying a new one. I'd find a company's warranty for it or have an engineer sign off on it for you since any bank will most likely ask for it in the future. Good luck
  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    I appreciate everyones responses! I am going to walk through the house with a General Contractor today, I'm unsure if he has any experience with foundation work, but i will be sure to find out. I  will also check with the seller to see if they have any type of documentation on the work in the basement. I'm hoping after today ill have a rough idea of just how much $$$$/work is involved in this property. I'll update this post after my meeting with guy today , maybe he will have more information on the basement issue than the real estate agent! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.