Section 8 help needed

Section 8 help needed

Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes

I'm about to buy my first property. The property is currently rented under Section 8. What process should I follow for it to continue under Section 8? The property is located in Tennessee. 

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Thomas S.'s correction of your comment was absolutely correct. Maybe this is just a cultural thing, but I personally find your reference to a "persons handler" to be a little rough and I'm as fiscally as conservative as they come.  In the States, animals have handlers, and people have case workers or social workers. I'm just letting your know for future reference so you don't rub other people's ruffle's wrong.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    One overlooked step, and I only saw a buyer fail to certify one time, is for the BUYER to make sure they are ELIGIBLE to provide Section 8 housing. There is a buyer certification form that your local HA can provide. They will do a background check on you. I believe this is national now, rather than regional several years ago.

    Your local HA may be a good resource. Some housing authorities are customer in-friendly. Some are unapproachable. I guess you will soon learn which camp your HA is in! Good luck.

    Welcome to BP.

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Chris Martin - That's very interesting. I've never completed a buyer certification form or heard of SEC 8 doing background checks on owners and I have about 40 of my own SEC 8 properties and manage about 60 for others.  Maybe they've been doing it, and we just work with really clean people.  Most of our properties are owned in LLCs though and SEC 8 never gets the individual owner's names.  Are you sure about this rule?

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Yup. Several years ago some HAs didn't even check to see if the "landlord" owned the property. Didn't check if LLCs were registered in the state, etc. HUD implements the Section 8 voucher choice program via a . Most people sign it and don't read it. As far as I know, they won't cut a check (actually ACH) without a HAP contract... everywhere except, apparently, Virginia Beach.

    Page 5. Owner Certification. No undocumented payments, renting to family, ... no felon owners, etc. go further than other. Other items of interest "...The owner must give the PHA any information requested by the PHA on rents charged by the owner for other units in the premises or elsewhere."

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    We have 7 HAs and they are really strict about verifying ownership. I just never had background checks on my radar screen. Could be they are and I don't know it. We don't sign anything giving them permission to pull credit but they could check public record.
  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, AL · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 80 votes
    9y

    I bought a foreclosure last November (2016) that had a Section 8 renter in it.  I elected to keep the renter, and had to fill out a "Landlord Packet" at the local housing authority.  I had to give them a copy of the foreclosure deed to prove I owned the property, but it was an extremely easy process.

    Strange thing....the prior owner paid the property taxes AFTER she lost the house to foreclosure. Out of a sense of fairness, I let her have the December rent to sort of reimburse her for that..... error.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Regarding "Strange thing....the prior owner paid the property taxes AFTER she lost the house to foreclosure. Out of a sense of fairness, I let her have the December rent to sort of reimburse her for that..... error." Nice of you. That payment most likely came out of the escrow account from the foreclosing bank.

  • Investor · Morgantown, WV · Member since 2008 · 207 posts · 33 votes
    9y
    I would call the HUD office and speak with the case worker, introduce yourself and get familiar with the inspectors , workers. Perhaps they can provide you with some history of the home as far as past inspections so you will be aware of potential problem areas. They can also let you know if your are eligible to request a rent increase which you should probably strongly consider, especially if you improve the property. I'm assuming you want to continue with the HUD renter. If not you might want to plan an exit strategy. I think having a guarantee income on a new property is a plus.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Take the time to meet with your welfare tenants handler to get all the information required and to let them know you will be the new landlord.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Thomas S.:

    Take the time to meet with your welfare tenants handler to get all the information required and to let them know you will be the new landlord.

    ?

    The S-8 program is a HUD program, not a DHHS program. S-8 isn't food stamps (SNAP) or SSI/SSDI or ADC (or whatever they call it now). An HHS agent can't help with S-8. Income and rent levels used to quantify rents and to qualify applicants/tenants for S-8 are based on FMR and Local HA limits. Welfare programs are based, generally, on income and .

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Welfare, section 8 what ever the name they are all just different forms of tax payer financed government handouts. All the same in my opinion. When you contact the local government office and provide a persons name you will get referred to that persons handler.

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Thomas S.'s correction of your comment was absolutely correct. Maybe this is just a cultural thing, but I personally find your reference to a "persons handler" to be a little rough and I'm as fiscally as conservative as they come.  In the States, animals have handlers, and people have case workers or social workers. I'm just letting your know for future reference so you don't rub other people's ruffle's wrong.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Thomas S.

    I see. The more you post, the less the OP and BP Nation will take your posts seriously.

    Yes, you can make up whatever you like. The fire department is welfare. Subsidized dairy products are welfare. To you it's all government handouts, like the GSEs and subsidized FNMA loans.

    I have relatives who receive VA benefits and have served in combat. I have rented property through VASH and S-8 as well as to people with SSDI/SSI with impairments they didn't chose. I bought land (83 acres total, but I will develop less depending on perc tests) with the intent of building affordable housing for veterans. These vets served my country and as a tax payer I am glad to support them by providing housing.

    @Thomas S. the monthly S-8 payments go to the property owner/manager. Didn't know if you knew that, since you've proven you don't know much about HUD programs. They are not "government handouts" paid to the tenants.

    When a vet comes up to you in his wheelchair, with support from VASH, you may rethink your prejudices. But you... I doubt it.

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Chris Martin - I tried to see if @Thomas S. at least invested in the US, since he likes to comment on our economy yet lives in another country, but his profile is private.  He's not willing to share a thing.  Why in the heck even be a part of BP if you aren't willing to share? That's what this community is all about. SMH!

  • Developer · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 108 posts · 23 votes
    9y

    You all are arguing semantics. @Thomas S., a "handler" is used a lot for government agents. Even James Bond had a handler)

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Regarding " is right that it's all government handouts- from the food stamps, to the VA payments, to S8, to our own property tax breaks. Just remember, with S8 its the landlord receiving the handout- not the tenant!"

    Wrong.

    People posting here don't even know common terms. But I guess that's the world we live in.

    As a landlord on the S-8 program with about a dozen SFR for 11 years, I received no handout. I had to relinquish possession of property, very valuable assets, to tenants as part of the program. (Not a lot different from any other tenants.) My tenants were disabled, some in wheel chairs because of service to our country. Handout. ********.

    People like you take freedom for granted. In my world, vets provide a valuable service. That freedom comes at a cost.

    My last post here. @Joe Pitrolo had the most constructive advice for the OP.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.