My 12 year old bought his first house

My 12 year old bought his first house

Rental Property Investor · OKC, OK · Member since 2008 · 108 posts · 235 votes

My 12 year old son closed on his first rental property last month - and now he wants to buy another. 

I think every parent wants to teach their kids about finance, and my wife and I like others, have struggled with how best do that without boring them to death.  So over the past summer,we offered to pay our 3 sons to read books (thanks BP podcast for this great idea!) of our choosing.  Our 14 year old son passed on the idea because he doesn't like to read and honestly would rather spend money on clothes and shoes versus saving a single cent.  But our 12 year old is a fervent reader and quickly read "Rich Dad for Teens" while we were on a vacation to Durango.  The deal was, however, that he had to read it and be able to have an intelligent discussion about the book's core concepts.  

On the drive home he began to explain assets versus liabilities, earned income versus passive income, etc. and it seemed as though he really had a solid understanding.  Over the following weeks, he asked if he could use his "stock money" to purchase a rental home since he had seen us building our rental portfolio.  This lead to further discussions about leverage and how to make OPM work with tax savings.  Of course these were cursory discussions but I was surprised at how much he actually retained.  So we told him we would help, but he would have to do most of the heavy lifting and use his own money.   

Over the next few months, he would ask me to drive him around to go look at houses. I really think he was equally as interested in going to lunch with Dad - the boy likes to eat! - but either way, we looked at lots of properties together. He carried around a notebook and wrote down Realtors' numbers, made calls himself, made "guestimates" of repair costs, rents, how much he would need for a down payment, etc. and we practiced crunching the numbers together. I made him talk to the Realtors directly and I was amazed by how many spoke to him as if he was an adult investor and not a 12 year old. We made many offers which didn't pan out. But one evening just after he had gone to bed, I received a call from a Realtor that a HUD property that we had inquired about would go to investor status the following morning and so we put in the offer we had previously discussed and it was accepted the next morning.

We had started a DRIP (dividend reinvestment plan) when each of our boys were born and asked family to give birthday and Christmas gift with that in mind.  So they might get $100 total and $25 of it could spent on a toy and $75 went to their stocks.  And my wife and I made an automated $25 contribution monthly to each of their account.  This grew over times and was intended to be college money or retirement money or whatever they chose once they were adults.  But we agreed to let our 12 year old cash some of this in to buy this house.  So he provided the $11k down payment and $1500 or so closing costs.  Also the approximate $3k in repairs were provided by him.  I understand that there will be some naysayers who will say that it's truly not his house since the mortgage was obtained in our name and the house was titled in our name.  But we have contributed zero dollars of our own money.  And after consultation with accountants and lawyers, this seemed the best way to go about this and we will title it to him at age 18.  Any cash flow will go to replenish his stock account and potentially fund more properties.  And he's definitely involved.  We did take him out of school to attend the closing, I've taught him how to change the locks and do basic repairs, and he has to stay up to date on the financials on his house.  

So my 12 year old is already looking for his next property, my 9 year old now thinks he want to do the same but doesn't yet have the comprehension of the basics to move forward, and my 14 year old just bought another pair of shoes!  

Sorry for the long post, but I'd love to hear other people's experiences and thoughts on this strategy.

190Reply
498 views

Most Popular Reply

Springfield, MA · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 14 votes
9y
Wow I'm 23 and I want to be like your 12 year old great job on parenting and he's also doing a great job all the books I've read say to start early I guess he understood that perfectly
See this reply in the discussion

139 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Maple Valley, WA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Drew Eldridge Awesome story. Very inspiring to a parent with young kids. What type of account (I know you said DRIP) did you have set up for them? We started UTMA accounts for each kid when they were born, but I'm not sure we will be able to use that money for real estate purchases while they're still minors. I'm considering starting a separate account without limits on what the money can be used for.

  • Full time investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 405 posts · 312 votes
    9y

    @Chasity Jones - The market is at an all time peak and then some.  If your funds haven't performed well, its time to restructure.

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Wow, he will have so much experience when he turn 18. Great job!
  • Homeowner · Milton, Ontario · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    This story was gold, and definitely worthy of my first post (I've been saving it wisely). He's a young Donald Trump in the making.

  • Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 152 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    Awesome story! Should inspire all of us to finally take action to secure financial freedom!!!!1

  • Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 2 votes
    9y

    Fantastic what you have done for your son, I feel proud just reading about it not only for him but also for you as parents that are starting him as a young age to learn about R.E. God bless   

  • Rental Property Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Kudos to your 12 year old that shares your interests in real estate. Kudos as well to your 14 year old who is pursuing his own interest that are exactly in line with his age-- He will contribute to the world in other ways that also have value. 

  • Investor · Mc Lean, VA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    Great story! When my son was born the fall before last we also created a small stock portfolio for our son. My wife and I had many discussions before setting everything up, "once he turns 18..." I am so happy to hear that your 12 year old is taking an active role in his financial education. As I am sure most here wish, I too wish I had started earlier.

    Much luck and success to you and your son's future!

  • Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    My upbringing is different from that of many people on bigger pockets.  That might make me think about this different than some people here.  I think one of the best things a parent can do for a child is make it where they never have a "regular" job.

  • Realtor · Smyrna, TN 37167 · Member since 2013 · 248 posts · 147 votes
    9y

    @Drew Eldridge absolutely fantastic!  I agree that further sharing this story beyond the BP forum and your Facebook page - whether in the form of a book, article (submit it to your local paper), YouTube video, or personal webpage would be a great opportunity to inspire other parents.  Thank you for sharing here.  1 day and 5 pages of comments is clearly testimony to how much we love hearing about your family's success.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Standing ovation!!! I take my 1 year old daughter to all my job sites. I keep her out of the dust though. No telling how much lead and asbestos is floating around in the air! I tell all my contractors they have to do a good job on my keeper properties because I'm giving them to her. She even has a small plastic tool box with some kids tools though I fully intend to teach her to never own any real tools. The hands in this family are for writing checks, not holding tools.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Ash Patel Are you saying I should transfer the money to aggressive growth mutual funds? Any suggestions?

  • Real Estate Agent · Asbury Park, NJ · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Wow, what a way to start my day! Reading your story is extremely inspiring! I'm going to make some changes in my home. My kids are older, but instead of feeling like it's too late, this is going to be the discussion around the dinner table tonight. And I'll FaceTime the one who's in college. Today is the day. I do believe a financial education is the best education a child can have. Kudos to you! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Glen Burnie, MD · Member since 2017 · 58 posts · 21 votes
    9y
    That is outstanding! Its never too early to get kids hooked on finance type books, especially since our schools are not doing their share to teach our kids how to better understand money principles!!
  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    AWESOME story. GOOD LUCK to you and your family on you guys journey. !!!

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 99 posts · 28 votes
    9y
    This is just awesome you guys are really great parents and fine examples of how to raise kings & queens whose financially savvy! Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing this was just great!!!!
  • Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Great story!  You are truly blessed that you could put money into their accounts for them to gain that much to invest.  We too have a similar story except we are all equal partners in the deal and I have 4 kiddos 11-5 year old. We have owned it since 2015.

    It has been a great experience for everyone.  I had been thinking of possibly selling since the market is so high but the kids won't let me since there is a swimming pool.  Everything happens for reason I always say.  I am reading the book Rich Kid Smart Kid to them at supper every night along with a bible reading.  This has been great for my older two but sometimes I feel like I am forcing this on them but they are sure taking it all in.  It brings a lot of deep conversations and lets me feel good about teaching my kids about finance when the school doesn't even touch the subject.  Even my 6 year old has a couple of question here and there.  

    Thanks for sharing and giving inspiration to others.

  • Investor · Andover, KS · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    I love it! Awesome!
  • Winter Garden, FL · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    This is legitimately the best post I've read on BP - how inspirational! If a 12 year old can do it then so can I! Thank you for sharing - look forward to hearing what happens next!
  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    That's truly awesome and similar to the hopeful goal for my daughter! I'm all for her going to college, but I want it to be a choice and for her to know how to generate income without the need for higher education just to get a "job" and be in debt that can easily be avoided. Great work!!
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Drew Eldridge:

    My 12 year old son closed on his first rental property last month - and now he wants to buy another. 

    I think every parent wants to teach their kids about finance, and my wife and I like others, have struggled with how best do that without boring them to death.  So over the past summer,we offered to pay our 3 sons to read books (thanks BP podcast for this great idea!) of our choosing.  Our 14 year old son passed on the idea because he doesn't like to read and honestly would rather spend money on clothes and shoes versus saving a single cent.  But our 12 year old is a fervent reader and quickly read "Rich Dad for Teens" while we were on a vacation to Durango.  The deal was, however, that he had to read it and be able to have an intelligent discussion about the book's core concepts.  

    On the drive home he began to explain assets versus liabilities, earned income versus passive income, etc. and it seemed as though he really had a solid understanding.  Over the following weeks, he asked if he could use his "stock money" to purchase a rental home since he had seen us building our rental portfolio.  This lead to further discussions about leverage and how to make OPM work with tax savings.  Of course these were cursory discussions but I was surprised at how much he actually retained.  So we told him we would help, but he would have to do most of the heavy lifting and use his own money.   

    Over the next few months, he would ask me to drive him around to go look at houses. I really think he was equally as interested in going to lunch with Dad - the boy likes to eat! - but either way, we looked at lots of properties together. He carried around a notebook and wrote down Realtors' numbers, made calls himself, made "guestimates" of repair costs, rents, how much he would need for a down payment, etc. and we practiced crunching the numbers together. I made him talk to the Realtors directly and I was amazed by how many spoke to him as if he was an adult investor and not a 12 year old. We made many offers which didn't pan out. But one evening just after he had gone to bed, I received a call from a Realtor that a HUD property that we had inquired about would go to investor status the following morning and so we put in the offer we had previously discussed and it was accepted the next morning.

    We had started a DRIP (dividend reinvestment plan) when each of our boys were born and asked family to give birthday and Christmas gift with that in mind.  So they might get $100 total and $25 of it could spent on a toy and $75 went to their stocks.  And my wife and I made an automated $25 contribution monthly to each of their account.  This grew over times and was intended to be college money or retirement money or whatever they chose once they were adults.  But we agreed to let our 12 year old cash some of this in to buy this house.  So he provided the $11k down payment and $1500 or so closing costs.  Also the approximate $3k in repairs were provided by him.  I understand that there will be some naysayers who will say that it's truly not his house since the mortgage was obtained in our name and the house was titled in our name.  But we have contributed zero dollars of our own money.  And after consultation with accountants and lawyers, this seemed the best way to go about this and we will title it to him at age 18.  Any cash flow will go to replenish his stock account and potentially fund more properties.  And he's definitely involved.  We did take him out of school to attend the closing, I've taught him how to change the locks and do basic repairs, and he has to stay up to date on the financials on his house.  

    So my 12 year old is already looking for his next property, my 9 year old now thinks he want to do the same but doesn't yet have the comprehension of the basics to move forward, and my 14 year old just bought another pair of shoes!  

    Sorry for the long post, but I'd love to hear other people's experiences and thoughts on this strategy.

     You didn't say how much the house cost, but say it cost 100K.  If it appreciates at 3% annually, it'll be worth 479K when he's ready to retire at 65.  

  • Property Manager · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Wow. Amazing story, reminds me of a young warren buffet. Just watched a short interview on his life the other day and how he found his passion for investing at the age of 7 and by the time he was 12 he had read every book on investing in his county library. Look at him now. Your son definitely has a bright future ahead of him, great parenting!
  • Truck Driver · Opelika, AL · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Congrats!!! Im about to email this to my son

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2010 · 279 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    Thanks Drew for writing this! It was AWESOME to give your son a reward certificate. We used your sons story to inspire some of our students who... hesitate to pull the trigger on buying their first property. It's going to be a great story when he's 18, 21, 25. He's going to be having investor conversations light years ahead of his friends.  

    Since we are having our 1st baby, we are going to do the same as you wrote above! Thanks for the great ideas and "DRIP"; and having parents contribute vs. just toys. We plan on limited toys, but with grandparents this will be challenge so the DRIP contributions will be a great incentive to redirect wasted funds on toys to a potential future investment/college. 

    Maybe we need to start a Real Estate Investors School for teens???

  • Investor · Québec, Québec · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 13 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ro Maga:

    Your son and you should be on the podcast!
    Who knows how to make that happen?

    +1

    Paging @Brandon Turner @Joshua D.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.