Is a home inspection worth it

Is a home inspection worth it

Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2016 · 108 posts · 24 votes
I have an accepted offer on a 10plex and am debating on if I need a home inspection. It will be a bit over $100/unit. It's not a ton of money however I have never gotten one on a rental and typically they don't stand even if something is found later. I was hoping to get others take on this. This does include radon and termite inspections. To add a bit of info there is no gas for the property as the heat is radiant ceiling heat. Thank you for your time.
1Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan MurdockPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Adam Beckstetdt You may want to consider a sewer inspection as well. I'm am comfortable enough with my own abilities to skip home inspections but I will often still pay someone to send a camera down the sewer line. Failed sewer lines can be huge money to fix. Lots of 100+ year old housing stock and even older infrastructure here so it's a common problem. 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Adam Beckstetdt I had the exact same experience as @Andrew Korver. Mold is never good to find, but if its' there, better to find it before the purchase (via an inspection) than after. The inspector's fee was $350 and was very well spent in my case..

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.