Possible to find $30k turnkeys?

Possible to find $30k turnkeys?

Westchester, NY · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Are you able to get a turnkey for $30k in a Class C neighborhood that generates at least $200/month cash flow?  This would not be a downpayment, I mean all in for $30k (could come up with closing costs separately).

I've been wanting to get into rental property investing for a long time but never had the money (I might still not have enough, I'm 47).  I have $30k which is from an equity loan on my home.  I made the mistake of buying my home in 2005 and took a beating on it, but that's a story for another day.  The area where I live is very expensive so I think I would have to go for an OOS turnkey.  I have a strong background in contracting/construction although I don't do it for a living anymore. Ideally I'd buy distressed properties, rehab, rent and manage myself, but the prices here are way out of my range making it impossible and frustrating.

Thanks for any input/opinions, Eric

0Reply
222 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9y

Turn key usually denotes fully renovated property ready to be put into service. pretty tough to buy the home renovate and crate a profit for those doing it all for 30k.. something has to give.

either the home was bought for nothing and there fore is in the worse of the worse neighborhoods.. or there is no major reno going on and cap ex will kill you..

use the money as a down stroke and buy something at 100k that actually is renovated and tenants actually pay.

@Andrew Johnson  that has always been my thought process when one wants to buy one rental home in a far flung area travel eats into all cash flow... one needs to be able to get to 5 to 10 units ASAP to make it worth the travel and over head expense.. otherwise just better off buying a reit or something..

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    3y

    No. But you can buy a turnkey rental with 30k down. 

    A house for 30k is going to be a rundown dump in a warzone. 

    If you want some help finding a good rental I'd recommend reaching out to @Zach Lemaster. His team has helped me put together a few profitable deals. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Crunkilton:

    No. But you can buy a turnkey rental with 30k down. 

    A house for 30k is going to be a rundown dump in a warzone. 

    If you want some help finding a good rental I'd recommend reaching out to @Zach Lemaster. His team has helped me put together a few profitable deals. 


     Back when this thread was made 5+yrs ago you could come close in Cleveland. Definitly were able to do it back in like 2009-2015. Not in 2022 or 20233 tho. No way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oregon City, OR · Member since 2020 · 324 posts · 780 votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Joseph Crunkilton:

    No. But you can buy a turnkey rental with 30k down. 

    A house for 30k is going to be a rundown dump in a warzone. 

    If you want some help finding a good rental I'd recommend reaching out to @Zach Lemaster. His team has helped me put together a few profitable deals. 


     Back when this thread was made 5+yrs ago you could come close in Cleveland. Definitly were able to do it back in like 2009-2015. Not in 2022 or 20233 tho. No way.


     True. There are some places in Detroit you can get for like $100 but I don't think you'll get too many quality tenants, lol. 

  • Developer · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2019 · 129 posts · 121 votes
    3y

    I'm in Youngstown, OH and specifically buy distressed. Youngstown is a lot less expensive than Columbus, Cleveland and even Akron, and I don't know any place in this city you can buy a turnkey property in a C neighborhood for 30k.

    I bought a distressed property in a C- (then) neighborhood in 2016 for 23k, but then I spent 60k turning it into a B-B+ property. I also net 1k+ per month.

    200.00 profit per month is not enough. You need to make enough to fix a roof, replace a furnace, put in new flooring if they sneak a dog in, etc. 200.00/mo can be eaten up by a hefty insurance/tax increase (which seems to be a thing now). You can lose a year's profit just putzing around between renters (paint, repairs, etc).

    I don't think 30k would buy you a turnkey section 8 in a D neighborhood. AT best, it would buy you a very distressed D neighborhood property that you'd rent cheap to low income without section 8. A 30k house is going to put you in a higher crime area where renters don't stick around and damage your property before skipping out. None of this is what you want as an out of state landlord.

    It's far better to use your 30k to JV/partner with someone who lives in the area you're buying in OR buy in a better area and use the 30k as a down payment.

    Feel free to message me if you have any questions. I can probably help you find some options out this way.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    3y

    You can still buy $30k properties in Detroit, but they'll need a lot of rehab or will be Class D.

  • Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2015 · 267 posts · 76 votes
    3y

    What are turn key rentals in class C neighborhoods in Memphis going for these days?

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Eric Foss

    On paper it may generate $200 but chances these actually cash flow are very low because tenant quality is poor so evictions, tenant damage and break ins are not uncommon.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2022 · 230 posts · 99 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tricia O'Brien:

    What are turn key rentals in class C neighborhoods in Memphis going for these days?

     Hey @Tricia O'Brien

    Right now what we are seeing is between $99,900 and $119,900. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.