BRRRR Strategy Explained & Cash-Out Refinancing

BRRRR Strategy Explained & Cash-Out Refinancing

Real Estate Investor 路 Columbia, PA 路 Member since 2017 路 28 posts 路 5 votes

I've read a bunch of articles on BP but still can't get my head wrapped around the BRRRR strategies and specifically the financing parts of it... Could someone help me fill in the gaps?

Obviously BRRRR stands for:


B - Buy

R - Rehab

R - Rent

R - Refinance

R - Repeat

Buy

For Buy, you can use the traditional methods of finding a property like looking for REOs on the MLS, networking, etc. With BRRRR, you're looking for a house that you would look for where you are going to flip it.

So you might find a house for $50,000 that needs $30,000 of repairs, but after you have comped it out, you figure out that the After Repair Value is $175,000. Here's J Scott's article on finding ARV or MPP.

then you also have to take into account your fixed costs as well. There's a great article on Calculating Fixed Costs here by J Scott. For Conversation sake and to make the math easy, let's say the fixed costs are $20,000.

QUESTION: Would you get a short-term loan for your purchase price + repairs + fixed costs? In this case $100,000?

So, I'll assume the answer to that question is yes. So we've now purchased the house for $50,000 and have a loan through our PML or HML of $100,000 at let's say 8% and the lender wants to be paid back in 6 months.

QUESTION: Would you be able to do a "30 year" loan and pay it back after 6 months so your monthly payments aren't so high? for example, a $100,000 loan at 8% due in 6 months would be $17,057.71 a month. vs a $100,000 loan at 8% due in 30 yeras is 733.76 a month. Or do these lenders just want their 8% paid out at the end of the loan term? so it's not a monthly payment, but in 6 months, they just want a check for $108,000?

Rehab

So now you have your house, and you get to work on your rehab just like you normally would for a flip. For me, I need a project manager or a GC because I don't have that experience. I can say, I love J Scott's book on Estimating Rehabs and Flipping Houses.

With this, because you're not flipping it for top dollar, you're really just putting what will get you top rent. And sticking with the flipping mentality, the property still needs to stand out and look clean and nice, just doesn't need to have all the bells and whistles.

So the rehab is done and you're, for sake of conversation, spot on budget still. You estimated $30,000 and it took $30,000 on the nose. :-)

Rent

So instead of turning around and selling the property, you rent out the property. So this is the shift now between flipping and buy & hold properties. 

I personally will be using a Property Management Company so I don't have to be a landlord. 

I'll use my property management company to find myself a renter. And from everything I've read, you can't refinance before you get a renter.

QUESTION: Is this correct? you need a renter before you can refinance?

Refinance

This is where i probably have the most questions...

From my understanding, you need to find a bank that will do a cash-out refinance. From my understanding again, this is where you have the ability to cash-out on the equity you have in the house.

So, back to the numbers... You have a short-term loan for $108,000 after interest.

If the house appraises for $175,000, the bank will then give me a loan for $175,000. 

QUESTION: So if i have a loan for $175,000, what money am I putting towards the loan? the $108,000 that i've already spent on repairs and to pay for the house and such?

The difference between $108,000 and $175,000is only $67,000. QUESTION: so would my equity only be $67,000? Which wouldn't be enough money to pay back the loan?

QUESTION: What type of loan are you refinancing to? I've heard of a homeowners loan or even a commercial loan?

Repeat

Let's say my scenario leaves me with walking away with $67,000, you can take that cash out to purchase another house and do it again.

Anyway, I'm hoping this overview is correct and helpful to other people. I'm trying to find like a comprehensive guide on BRRRR, but can't find anything that really just walks you through every step of it. There are some great articles, but i'm hoping some of the gaps that i'm having are some the same gaps others are having and this post will be useful for others moving forward...

Where am I off base in this? What am I missing?

thank you,

Jason

6Reply
312 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor 路 St. Petersburg, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 3k+ posts 路 4k+ votes
9y
You have most of it right, I'm on a phone so I'll try to keep it short and sweet. The main reason that you don't want to BUY with a conventional loan is that most co conventional lenders will not finance the rehab, so you will have to come up with that out of your own pocket. HML will finance the purchase and rehab. The REHAB is pretty self explanatory, you have that covered. The RENT is important for the refinance part because lenders will use a percentage, or all, of rental income as income, and make it easier to be approved. The REFINANCE is where people get tripped up. In your scenario, you are all in for $108k with an ARV of $175k. After 6 or 12 months, depending on the lender, you can cash out refinance. A lender will generally refinance at 75% of ARV, so you can get an new loan of up to $131,250. So you will pay off the $108 initial loan and have $23000 in your pocket. Your equity, at that point, will be $43,750 ($175k ARV minus $131,250 loan). Now this is assuming that you can find a HML to fund 100% of your project, which is unlikely. Most will require at least 10% down so at cash out you would get your down payment PLUS the $23000 "profit". Hope that helps answer what you were asking.
See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Billings, MT 路 Member since 2018 路 12 posts 路 5 votes
    7y

    Yes kind of what i was thinking.馃憤

  • Huntington New York 路 Member since 2018 路 18 posts 路 2 votes
    7y

    I鈥檓 late on this thread and have been doing so much research on this strategy my big thing is that I understand the process up to the refi part so when it鈥檚 time to refi out of the HM what requirements are there from the banks (what kind of bank) to get the refi I understand that if you have high dti or you  can鈥檛 get a refi because I feel that will be a issue with already my personal mortgage car loan and cc鈥檚 also all the money and reserves I will have will come from business credit cc鈥檚 which won鈥檛  show up on my personal credit report but won鈥檛 banks ask where this money came from

  • Huntington New York 路 Member since 2018 路 18 posts 路 2 votes
    7y

    @Brent Coombs in response to your response I plan on using business credit cards for my closing cost and reserves and i don鈥檛 know if banks would allow me to use that and I ask about dti because even if I have 0 debt (Cc鈥檚 etc) and I have a personal mortgage won鈥檛 that affect my dti?

  • Investor 路 Cleveland, OH 路 Member since 2015 路 6k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bryan Johnson:

    @Brent Coombs in response to your response I plan on using business credit cards for my closing cost and reserves and i don鈥檛 know if banks would allow me to use that and I ask about dti because even if I have 0 debt (Cc鈥檚 etc) and I have a personal mortgage won鈥檛 that affect my dti?

    The point is: will your Refinancing Lender evaluate the property you're purchasing as being worth at least 143% of what you owe all your HML/Credit loans for the property in the first place?

    ie. Will they consider that you already have 30% equity (if they'll lend 70% of their appraisal)?

    [ie. The math works like this: 70% of $143k = $100k. Your equity needs to be 30%+ per 100% spent!]

    ie. Your HML and Credit loans won't matter - because that's what you're paying off with the refinance!

    Get it? Now go back and see what I wrote about needing "real" bargains to begin with! 

    But you still need to qualify for that traditional investment loan. How bad is your DTI? Good luck...

  • Member since 2021 路 4 posts 路 0 votes
    5y

    Not sure if anyone else mentioned it but you definitely don't wanna have the flip mentality for a rental unit when it comes to rehab. Second a flip you wanna put a little extra money in so it looks good and it's quality and people understand it's not garbage they need to replace in five years period when you're flipping for a rental it just needs to be good enough and look nice. You can save a lot more money with a rental because people aren't gonna have ownership so they're not as particular.

  • Investor 路 New Zealand 路 Member since 2019 路 20 posts 路 7 votes
    5y

    Thanks BP and contributors to this thread. Awesome info, this surely filled in the gaps for me. 

  • Member since 2022 路 7 posts 路 4 votes
    3y

    These questions and answers were so very helpful to me as well! Thanks for posting and thanks to those who responded.

  • Member since 2023 路 1 post 路 0 votes
    2y

    Question regarding the Cash out refinance... it may be a rookie question, I'm new to all this. in the above scenario, when he goes to get a cash out refi, and they give hime 75% of the ARV, what happens to the other 25%?

    Thank you.  

  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender 路 Massillon, OH 路 Member since 2022 路 1k+ posts 路 486 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Joshua Nitcholas:

    Question regarding the Cash out refinance... it may be a rookie question, I'm new to all this. in the above scenario, when he goes to get a cash out refi, and they give hime 75% of the ARV, what happens to the other 25%?

    Thank you.  

    It remains with the property as equity. :) 
    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2024 路 3 posts 路 0 votes
    2y
    Hope I can still get an answer on this old thread. I鈥檓 in the process of refinancing to get some cash out. I鈥檓 confused about who I should refinance with. Should I do it through a commercial bank where they do a 3 year loan with variable interest? Should I find a local bank and do a 30 year fixed rate? Or should I be looking for another option? Below is what my numbers are looking like and I spoke to one local mortgage company and some numbers that they gave me. Appreciate the help.

    Owed: $52,000
    ARV: $130,000
    Monthly Rent: $850
    Current Interest rate: 4.5% but will be changing to Prime plus .5 in 2 months. I鈥檓 almost at 3 years of ownership. 

    Local Mortgage Company Offer:
    75% of ARV (but I want to do less so that it cash flows better)

    $30,000 cash out is what I鈥檓 looking at (have some other real estate investments that I鈥檓 working on)
    $5000 estimated closing costs
    $2500 (paying points to get interest at 7.5%)
    30 year loan with fixed rate of 7.5%

    At these numbers my loan would be around $89,000. My loan payment including taxes and insurance would be about $760. Cash flow would be around $100. Not the greatest but I鈥檒l make it work.

    My future plan is refinance when (or should I say IF) interest rates go down to 5.5-6% (or lower) so that it cash flows better. I just need the cash out so that I can jump into a big project that I鈥檓 looking into.



Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.