How to deal with no showings?

How to deal with no showings?

Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes

Hi, 

Recently I bought a new home, but have difficulty to sell the existing single family home  - three months on the market without a single showing. What I did so far:

-  Priced at 700k+ level, but reasonably with similar homes(bed/bath/garage/lot/age) sold/pending in <1.0 mile radius last three months

-  Redfin  view traffic/favorites, Zillow view traffic levels are at or more than that of above sold homes

-  Price reduced once and still no showing(below or in the middle of redfin/zillow robot estimates)

-  Professionally staged and landscaped

-  Listing agent is a friend, but at beginner level from a very small local broker.

Without showing, I can not get any feedback on what might be wrong.  Based on my own weekly local market checkup, i think my listing price(agreed by my agent) is close to actually comparable home sold price. So what should I do here to at least get some showings?

1. Switch to a more high profile agent first to see if it helps? My agent is minority and may be tough to  sell home in a 95% white suburban neighborhood?

2. Further reduce price(assume that my agent's pricing approach is wrong)?

3. Some other marketing efforts before reducing price?

4. Is there some service to help identify what's the cause of no showings with more detailed analysis?

Thanks!

Herbert

0Reply
152 views

Most Popular Reply

Orange County, CA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 24 votes
9y
Before doing another open house to the public, I would have your agent run a broker's open. This will you get you detailed feedback from people with buyers. If you just traipse a few more potential listing agents through the house, they are likely to sugarcoat their opinions to try to get the listing rather than give you honest feedback about the best approach to tweek, price, market, and sell the property. Good luck!
See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Carmel, CA · Member since 2015 · 193 posts · 128 votes
    9y
    Price and commission. Get feedback from the broker.
  • Real Estate Agent · Carmel, CA · Member since 2015 · 193 posts · 128 votes
    9y
    Also what kind of marketing has been done? Print ads, online, market open houses? Price it below market?
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    9y

    No showings means people look at the listing and reject if from what's there. Most likely, its over priced. Priced properly a new listing will get multiple showings within a week of it going on the MLS. At this point, I'd pull it off the market and get three new agents to give their evaluation of the price they would list it as as well as what, if anything, they would do to the property, if anything. If nobody is even coming to look, there's something seriously wrong vs. the price you've listed it at. Does it back to a major street? Freeway? Something worse? Is it missing something those comps have? Like garage, third bath or whatever? Hard to say without more comparison, but if people are looking at your listing and don't even bother to have a look, there's a big disconnect somewhere.

    I once had a property on a busy street right across from a high school.  This turned out to be a really big deal, in a bad way. The house would have easily sold for 20% more if it had been even a block off that busy street.  That's the sort of defect there is nothing you can do about.

  • Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Only open house twice and no one showed up. No other marketing done besides MLS listing. It is in prime location on a deep quiet lot. The home is contemporary style with high ceiling inside. From outside it just looks like a normal two story all brick colonial home. Broker mentioned a few cosmetic fixes and did not identify any major issue.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Post the link to the ad if your comfortable doing so. We can give you our unbiased opinions.

  • Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    https://www.redfin.com/IL/Deerfield/1444-Hazel-Ave...

    Relisted a week ago on MLS with new staging photos and price reduction. Previously on market for two months without professional staging.

    Looking forward to your feedback and really appreciated it!

  • Crossville, TN · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 168 votes
    9y

    I know this is a matter of personal opinion but the inside of the house seem cold to me. The vast expanses of white walls leaves me cold. Open floor plans are nice and I do like high ceilings but this gives me a warehouse feel. Just my tastes.

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    wow beautiful home!

    What little searching I did it SEEMS houses in that area which sold in the past few months sold for quite a bit below zestimate

    Yours seems to be priced above zestimate

    NOT saying zestimate is accurate. I am going through something similar with a house I am selling.   Real estate agent has stated people see the zestimate compared to selling and don't want to see the house.  

    Even though 2 agents have told us we priced the house too low, yes I know lol

    I have seen a few people suing Zillow over their zestimate. 

    Do you think this one is at all comparable to yours?

    See what I found on #Zillow!

    https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1380-Carol-Ln-D...

  • Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the feedback. I agree open space is the possible cause. BTW, the home is not in HOA. Lake cty, IL property tax is highest in the country.

  • Real Estate Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2012 · 874 posts · 648 votes
    9y
    @Herbert Wu looking at the other homes Redfin is suggesting, your place appears to be priced higher than all but one of them...and that one is 4000+ ft2. I personally like the interior design, but is this very marketable in Lake County? Seems a bit too contemporary for the people I know in Lake County. The other houses I skipped through have crown mounding, lots of woodwork, etc. Again, I prefer your place, but I am not in the market. If this style is a bit abnormal for the area, you are going to need a killer marketer for it. Your friend the beginner at the small brokerage might not be the right guy for the job. You need someone who knows "everyone" and can find the pockets of people interested in this style. Lastly, are you pricing it at a point that surpasses the 2006 purchase price, or are you truly pricing it at the market price? The lack of interest suggests that the market for this house is still lower than you think. Set your pride aside and price it to sell. Good luck.
  • Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    That subdivision is close to I-94 and very noisy with many big and discounted homes. Not walkable to train, town. . That subdivison is 4th-tier in the village. I am in 2nd tier subdivision. The first tier is a few blocks away with most million $ homes

  • Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Great comment! Thanks a lot! I should drop it below 2006 price when I bought it, also will consider new killer agent

  • Real Estate Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2012 · 874 posts · 648 votes
    9y
    @Herbert Wu also, I forgot that the lot lines on Redfin, if correct, are concerning. There doesn't appear to be any access to the lot! There is the road, then some unidentified space, then a creek, then the parcel. This could very well be different in real life, but it caught my eye and would scream "headache" (or easement) to me upon looking at it quickly.
  • Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Yes. Easement indeed. When I bought it, i  thought it a good thing in that my little child was safe from traffic when playing outside. There are two houses on this easement ( long driveway). My house is at the end. I never thought this is a problem. Thanks for point it out!

  • Real Estate Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2012 · 874 posts · 648 votes
    9y
    @Herbert Wu use that as part of your marketing. The lot lines aren't going to change, but the layout could be a benefit to the right buyer, just as it was for you!
  • Interior Designer · Kearny, NJ · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    What stands out to me aside from the neighboring houses being 350-500k, the shared driveway and being very taste specific. While spacious...the layout is compartmentalized and dated looking. As a Designer I saw many things in the photos that didn't make sense but upon looking at the floor plan I could see it's potential. The warehouse resemblance is accurate with the 100's of high hats which are a nightmare to change but the bigger nightmare is that kitchen. The workspace triangle should never be interrupted that's basic kitchen functionality 101. Your kitchen island may as well be a dump truck blocking all access to the refrigerator. That's not touching on the fact that it resembles the Jetson's home with that cumbersome light over the island. Big spacious home-tiny dining room with closet? So strange-turn the closet over to the bedroom on the opposite side. My other layout advice would be to take out the wall from the dining room into the living room opening up a grand L-shaped kitchen (preferably in white)with one level, rectangular island and minimum 4 stools. The existing kitchen would make for a better dining area with chandelier. The basement boomerang bar wastes a ton of space totally screams 90's. From the floor plan the 5th bedroom has no closet and doesn't show an egress window is it really a bedroom or are we calling it that to justify the hefty price tag-Sorry if this is harsh it's just what stands out to me. The other bedroom on the second floor seams like it has a wall of doors and from the floor plan has a dinky bathroom and closet. I'm not sure where the fish bathroom fits in? I hope that's not the main bathroom off the kitchen. If you played down the modern in the staging and just went with size appropriate furnishings with simple clean lines I think your house would show better. If you are willing to paint I'd get rid of that cream color or paint the tall ceiling of the living room a more inviting color. Try to appeal to more buyers by giving the house a more transitional feel. Small changes along with the kitchen would make a big difference. If I can help furthermore don't hesitate to reach out.

  • Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks for much for taking time and reviewing the interior and really appreciated it. I will take a full look and may ask further help. I missed many things where I bought it years back.

  • Gila Bend, AZ · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    I would like to say that I like the house a lot. Not a fan of the kitchen, but it is a minor issue compared to other homes I've seen. 

    I love the BIG appearance and "industrial" feel, but I'm weird that way. (LOL).


    The listing needs more information. With a house of this price, I would suggest a description much more detailed. 

    I also don't like that the listing says that it was removed from the MLS because there were no showings. Anything that appears negative will be a red flag to anyone that needs/wants an excuse to pass by the listing.

    I think the main issue is the marketing. Your agent can not "list and pray."

    A home that needs more money; Needs more marketing.

    Videos, virtual walk thru, Facebook advertising, mailings, etc. 

    I wish you luck and a quick sale. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I think it could be the layout that hurts you. As the home is constructed, a family with two kids (I have a 3 and 4 year old) would have to have one kid on the main floor away from the rest. I can say with 100% certainty this would rule out my family buying this house. We would not be comfortable having one of our kids on the main level, while we slept on the second level.

    Have there been any calls about the house, or complete radio silence? As much as the layout is not the most optimal, it seems the price is keeping anyone from looking. The house shows well in photos, not perfect, but for a lived in home it shows nice. It is a very specific taste, but for the right price, people overlook styles and will buy for size and location.

    BTW your property taxes are very high. Are they higher than surrounding towns, or comparable?

  • Orange County, CA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    Before doing another open house to the public, I would have your agent run a broker's open. This will you get you detailed feedback from people with buyers. If you just traipse a few more potential listing agents through the house, they are likely to sugarcoat their opinions to try to get the listing rather than give you honest feedback about the best approach to tweek, price, market, and sell the property. Good luck!
  • Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Great suggestions and thanks very much!. Basically my existing sell-approach here is exactly "list&pray" and more marketing efforts are needed. I never heard of broker's open and will get one done asap, and hopefully they can provide realistic view of the local markets. I got a lot to learn here.

    So far it is radio silent, and I agree the bedroom layout is not good for many families with small children. My stager set it up as nanny/child suite to help reduce the impact a bit. The tax is very high for everyone here and a 1600sqft 3bd small SFH may pay $15k tax depending on subdivision. Ultimately I may have to drop price significantly to get it going, I guess. Now I am also researching rental option just in case I can not even sell it at bottom-line price next few months.

  • Orange County, CA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    Your property could be good for multi-generational family - older parents moving in with adult children. Or post college grads moving back in with parents. They don't have to go up the stairs and can have their own privacy. This is something I would have the agent highlight as a positive in the listing and could open up a different buyer pool, especially since you missed the start of school year window.
  • Interior Designer · Kearny, NJ · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    @Herbert Wu a brokers open house is very common for a high-end home and it's the best way of cheap/free marketing. All takes a platter of wraps and trapse realtors through  who are looking to connect buyers to houses. Best advertising is always word of mouth. Share on fb, Craig'slist and restage with cozy cleanline furniture, big gray sectional in the family room. Try just changing the light over the kitchen island, stage the Dining room in front of the wall I'd take out and stage the small existing DR as an office.

  • Deerfield, IL · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the staging suggestions and the ideas are great! In context, when I was considering many staging proposals earlier, not much details available in these proposals. I selected current one because the Stager stated that a contemporary style home should have contemporary decor to attract urban  young couple considering move to suburb. Existing suburb residents tend to be traditional. Now I am wondering if the house should be staged in traditional style to cover wider buyer pool.

    My house was on the market w/o professional staging for two months in spring before re-listed with the staging and price cut. The staging definitely increased online traffic, but has not attracted any showings.  This house's layout deficiency is not addressed enough in the staging process. I will think about it if some minor adjustments can be made.  Once I further cut the price, eventually when buyer comes in to see the house, staging design may have bigger impact then.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.