Florida after hurricane, not a sellers market?

3 Replies

So I have been rehabbing houses for a few years and I have never had a problem selling my houses as I don't overprice them and would rather sell quickly. I am a realtor so I do put everything on MLS and all other usual outlets (Zillow, Redfin etc) I don't think my issue is the quality of the work or the design as I use the same crews and the same palettes on the same types of homes I hAve always done. I haven't changed my formula therefor I just can't figure out what is going on as my houses aren't even being shown. As a realtor I can't say I am up to date with current processes nor do I work for a big company that provides classes.

Is anyone else experiencing issues with days on market or lack of showings since the hurricane? Is it just me? 

The hurricanes really disrupted the market here in Jacksonville. We had severe flood damage for properties located on the river and the streams. Many businesses in San Marco were also effected, some plan to be closed for many months. Closings were also pushed back and many deals cancelled for homes due to the severe flooding. 

There will be an influx of new homes, from the flood damage, that should come on the market by Spring, people not willing to deal with rising water (which was caused by the NE winds, high tide and winds that pushed water back into the river from the ocean). 

In Florida, 1 Billion bucks was given away by FEMA regarding people's food in vouchers. The lines here in Jacksonville were incredible. The first day they changed the giveaway to show only certain groups per day, last names that began with A-F, G-K, etc. It was crazy. So many people have been effected, and continue. It will take a while, just as they did last year with Matthew.

and September things were extremely slow but we are back to normal now

Not far from your area saw this: much less population on beach and restaurants but lots sales which we didn’t see during past few years.

I changed holiday air tickets recently because lower price now.

I am wondering what is the impact different for out state owner and local people for their properties from Iram.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.