25% Down on an investment property? Alternatives?

5 Replies

Hello All,

So I am looking to invest in a 2 family and they have accepted my offer. My first deal.  This will be purchased as an investment property and my lender has informed me that it will require a down payment of 25% in order to take advantage of a competitive interest rate. 25% will really take me to my max financially and wont allow for money to be put towards repairs and renovations for some time. I have considered taking on a partner but was wondering if anyone has some creative financial ideas to make this deal work with 20% down, not 25%. Im Soooooo close

There are commercial lenders that will do as low as 15% shop around a little, you'll find better than 25%

1. Find another lender

2. Partner up

3. Take the 20% down option and weigh it vs the 25% down option. How much are you really saving with 1/4% vs the thousands you'd save in putting down 20% instead of 25%? How much time would it take to save the equivalent of money from the difference in a rate discount vs less down? How much is that 1/4% saving you a month?

If you have direct contact with the seller, there are many creative solutions to make the most out of your deal. Could set up a land contract, and then create a note on the property and sell the note off. I have plenty of note investors who would buy

Hello all,
I hope I can get input on my situation as well. I am just getting started in real estate and have been prequalified to invest. However, I would need 25% down payment in order to make any investment work. One possibility would be to tap my 401(k), but then I would have to pay that back on top of the loan which I do not want to do. So I’m seeking more creative options if you can share. Also, If anyone also knows of someone who would be interested in partnering with on a deal in Maryland, please let me know. (I tried to post this separately, but for some reason couldn’t seem to get it started)

I don't want to spook the owner. It seems like an estate sale and they want it down fast with no complications. I am going to look into a local bank, but would love to hear more ideas. thanks all

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here