Votes
Mark Dante
  • Germantown, MD
Votes |
Settlement fee/title insurnance - Pennsylvania

Mark Dante
  • Germantown, MD
Posted Nov 30 2017, 04:50

Question:  My cousin and I are looking at a few properties in western Pennsylvania (just outside of Pittsburgh) .  I've called around and I've got a few prices from settlement companies, but I don't know if I've been quoted a higher amount because I am out of town.  For those who have purchased multiple properties and have used the same settlement company, what kind of settlement fee do you typically pay?  I'm seeing about $325 to $350 (PLUS title insurance).  Any recommendations for settlement companies in Pennsylvania?

Also, a separate question.  For those who purchase foreclosed properties with cash, do you always purchase title insurance?  I'm looking at some properties that are cheap (and its for a good reason - they need a LOT of work).  It appears that in Pennsylvania there is a minimum cost for title insurance.  For example, I looked at a portfolio of rehab properties  with an average price of $15K each.  Title insurance looks to be about $550 for each property.   If I purchase 10 of these houses, I'm looking at $5500 in title insurance on houses which I hope to only have for a year.  So for those who purchase cash for foreclosed houses, do you always get title insurance?  

Loading replies...