Need quicker way to get power on at property being rehabbed

5 Replies

Hi BP family, I need some help! I'm in the middle of a rehab, contractors installing the plumbing but I don't want to start installing copper until I have power on. Once power is on I can get alarm installed so that I'm secure. I called Com-Ed and they tell me making the appointment for power install (box, meter, etc.) is 3-5 weeks!!! This is crazy don't have that kind of time to waste. Help please and thanks!

I don’t know your area but that seems crazy. Others will have to chime in on a workaround to speed them up if possible.

In the meantime some ideas might be, battery powered camera/alarm system, install a generator, ect.

Simplisafe alarm system, deep cycle marine battery and an inverter all in a lockable metal box bolted to floor. Battery should last around a week before needing recharging. 

Don't use copper, use PEX.

Just a word of advice for next time -- always, always, always set up a temporary service before you disconnect from the pole! And if service is already cut off, it should be the very first thing you schedule to get hooked up - ComEd and Peoples Gas are busy here in Chicago! 3-5 weeks is not really unreasonable, it just is not good for your stage of construction. And I hear you, we had every bit of copper ripped out of the walls in a 6 unit condo building -- eventually had to get guard dogs in the building at night. Not sure what the status is on the old service to your building -- any way your GC or electrician can get a temporary service set up for you now? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.