Looking for good investment areas in OH

Looking for good investment areas in OH

Adam HarwardPro Member
Real Estate Investor 路 Provo, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 26 posts 路 8 votes

Looking into investment properties in Ohio and wondering if I anyone can help direct me into more desirable areas and possibly areas to avoid.  Looking at single family homes to rent out.  

Thanks in advance,

--Adam

1Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Robert EllisBusiness Member
Developer 路 Miami, FL 路 Member since 2014 路 3k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
8y
Originally posted by @Adam Harward:

Looking into investment properties in Ohio and wondering if I anyone can help direct me into more desirable areas and possibly areas to avoid.  Looking at single family homes to rent out.  

Thanks in advance,

--Adam

Hi Adam, as Columbus is growing at such a rapid pace, areas that were less desirable 2 years ago are now "the place to invest". Also, As I have said before in these forums, it really comes down to your risk tolerance and what you are trying to accomplish with your REI. Building a good team with an agent that will be your "boots on the ground" along with a lender and property manager are really invaluable to an out of state investor. Best of luck with everything!

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/Agent/CPA 路 Columbus, OH 路 Member since 2015 路 249 posts 路 207 votes
    8y
    Adam Harward I live in Columbus and like Columbus and Cleveland. Let me know if you need any assistance and I can direct you to the right people. Thanks!
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Miami, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 2k+ posts 路 911 votes
    8y

    Have you looked into Akron and Cleveland?

    I invest in both of those cities.

    Would be happy to answer any questions you have about them. 

  • Adam HarwardPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Investor 路 Provo, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 26 posts 路 8 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Mark Welp and @Antoine Martel.  I just started looking.  I will reach out to both of you with specific properties.  Interested to see what cities are experiencing growth and bright future.

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Akron, OH 路 Member since 2017 路 73 posts 路 48 votes
    8y

    Without sounding too biased there are some great neighborhoods in Akron for single family investing. 

  • Lorain, OH 路 Member since 2017 路 111 posts 路 53 votes
    8y
    Lauren Patrick is a great investor/agent. investor friendly. Im sure she can help you Adam Harward
  • Robert EllisBusiness Member
    Developer 路 Miami, FL 路 Member since 2014 路 3k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Adam Harward:

    Looking into investment properties in Ohio and wondering if I anyone can help direct me into more desirable areas and possibly areas to avoid.  Looking at single family homes to rent out.  

    Thanks in advance,

    --Adam

    Hi Adam, as Columbus is growing at such a rapid pace, areas that were less desirable 2 years ago are now "the place to invest". Also, As I have said before in these forums, it really comes down to your risk tolerance and what you are trying to accomplish with your REI. Building a good team with an agent that will be your "boots on the ground" along with a lender and property manager are really invaluable to an out of state investor. Best of luck with everything!

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Pickerington, OH 路 Member since 2012 路 230 posts 路 139 votes
    8y

    @Adam Harward  Some of the suburbs that I would consider A & B areas for rentals would be Westerville, Worthington, Hilliard, Pickerington, and Canal Winchester.  In most of these areas you'll get a quality renter, but without a lot of appreciation.  These are safe investments for the most part.  But as Robert Ellis mentioned above, if your risk tolerance is a little higher there are some inner city areas that are undergoing massive changes and the appreciation is much higher.  But for an out of town investor it is a risky move without having a good local team? boots on the ground.  It's not uncommon to spend far more in rehab costs than acquisition of the property itself and without knowing exactly what you're getting into there's a lot of risk, especially for an out of town investor.

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 30k+ posts 路 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Adam Harward:

    Looking into investment properties in Ohio and wondering if I anyone can help direct me into more desirable areas and possibly areas to avoid.  Looking at single family homes to rent out.  

    Thanks in advance,

    --Adam

     Adam, I wrote The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods for guys just like you. If Cleveland is one of the areas in Ohio you are looking to target I recommend giving it a read.

  • Investor 路 San Jose, CA 路 Member since 2017 路 453 posts 路 254 votes
    8y

    @Adam Harward I personally like Cincinnati, it is great for flips but getting difficult to find rentals that make sense

  • Adam HarwardPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Investor 路 Provo, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 26 posts 路 8 votes
    8y

    thanks for the help.  @James Wise I will definitely give that a read.  I've got funds in my Solo 401K that I'm trying to put to use.  I've only invested in RE here in Utah where I live so this is definitely outside my comfort zone.  I need to put that money to work and in my local market there isn't anything I can buy for the funds available.  I'm looking in the $50,000 - $60,000 range.

    Would you guys recommend multi-family or SFR?

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 30k+ posts 路 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Adam Harward:

    thanks for the help.  @James Wise I will definitely give that a read.  I've got funds in my Solo 401K that I'm trying to put to use.  I've only invested in RE here in Utah where I live so this is definitely outside my comfort zone.  I need to put that money to work and in my local market there isn't anything I can buy for the funds available.  I'm looking in the $50,000 - $60,000 range.

    Would you guys recommend multi-family or SFR?

    If you are in the $50-$60k range then you'll need to go SFR. Generally speaking duplexes are going to start in the $75k+ range.

  • Adam HarwardPro Member
    OP
    Real Estate Investor 路 Provo, UT 路 Member since 2017 路 26 posts 路 8 votes
    8y

    @James Wise  good to know

  • Investor/RE Broker 路 Eugene, OR 路 Member since 2014 路 3k+ posts 路 968 votes
    8y

    I am liking what I see in Dayton.

  • Investor 路 Columbus, OH 路 Member since 2016 路 25 posts 路 7 votes
    8y

    @Adam Harward I have recently started my investment journey by purchasing a SFH in Akron last year. I am currently learning the different areas in NEO (those within @James Wise area grading guide. Great article btw) and will be looking at purhcasing a couple properties this year. You can get a ton of recommendations on BP for creating a team but message me if any additional information is needed.

  • Real Estate Broker 路 Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH 路 Member since 2013 路 30k+ posts 路 20k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nixon Davis:

    @Adam Harward I have recently started my investment journey by purchasing a SFH in Akron last year. I am currently learning the different areas in NEO (those within @James Wise area grading guide. Great article btw) and will be looking at purhcasing a couple properties this year. You can get a ton of recommendations on BP for creating a team but message me if any additional information is needed.

     Thank you. Much appreciated. 馃挭

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.