Interest only, long term, and a portfolio of properties.

Interest only, long term, and a portfolio of properties.

Columbia, SC · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 12 votes

Hey BP, 

I'm talking with a seller who owns 28 units/10 properties (C--) in a 2 square mile radius of Columbia, SC. He has proposed seller financing, 10% down, interest only with a 10yr call. Still in the early stages, with nothing finalized. 

I originally cherrypicked 12 units at 450,000 contingent on any outstanding repairs needed . All units are occupied at 550, some on month to month. Lower income area, but I believe under market rents by 50-100.

 The other 16 are in rougher shape and area if I'm being honest. 450 month to month. These could be raised to 500, or more if I go section 8. Slight deferred maintenance.  Bringing total to around 700-750k purchase. Adding another 70 for rehab/reserves. According to my numbers, and given the sellers rough expenses... I'm at ~9,500 monthy expenses , and in a perfect world 13,800 gross rental income a month.

 I'm really thinking of adding these to the mix because hey, 16 extra units would get me right at my freedom number after my partners 50/50 split. If im going big on my first investment, might as well up the ante.

Interest rate TBD, but hes not really interested in making a killing every month (his words). He's more interested in deferring taxes as much as he can for his family down the road. Great guy, very reasonable, and one of the reasons why I love real estate, building relationships. Anyway 4-6% interest only would give me a healthy cashflow, range of 33% to 24% COC with no value added, just maintaining. Bringing up to market rents will skyrocket value and return.

Now, the risks. I'm purely after cashflow. Equity means very little to me, but I will have some as I'm buying under market. 10 years is a long time, I don't forsee that area becoming deserted or a warzone, but honestly who knows what the local market or banks will be like. 

My exit strategies would be refi into a commercial loan, perhaps release some properties from the note to refinance into 30yr, renegotiate with the seller for different terms or, what I really hope happens... have thousands of units in my portfolio and pay it off with ease!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. My massive action may be paying off, but It could be a nightmare.

tl,dr:  lower interest only, longer term seller financed portfolio in C-- area, what would you do?

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Will GastonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
8y

@Robert A. sounds like an interesting opportunity. I think it’s awesome you’re going after something big.

Two thoughts:

1) Is this in 29203? If so, I’d be very hesitant. Historically speaking that is difficult zip code to leave with a profit.

2) Who will be managing the properties?

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Robert A. sounds like an interesting opportunity. I think it’s awesome you’re going after something big.

    Two thoughts:

    1) Is this in 29203? If so, I’d be very hesitant. Historically speaking that is difficult zip code to leave with a profit.

    2) Who will be managing the properties?

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Will Gaston:

    @Robert A. sounds like an interesting opportunity. I think it’s awesome you’re going after something big.

    Two thoughts:

    1) Is this in 29203? If so, I’d be very hesitant. Historically speaking that is difficult zip code to leave with a profit.

    2) Who will be managing the properties?

     Hey Will, 

    Not 29203 thankfully, but close.. 29210. Greystone and some off broad. So not as bad as 29203/4.  Its a shame its not shandon/rosewood lol.

    I'm still up in the air on that one. I have planned for pm expenses in my numbers. My partners wife managed an apartment complex here in columbia near the stadium, so we have experience on our team. I was thinking of hiring a VA to handle calls/take over my lead generation. My partner and I would schedule showings.

  • Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    Hey Will, I see that you’re located in Columbia as well. I’d love to connect with you.
  • Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    Hey Rob, I’d love to chat with you soon.
  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Robert A. Okay that makes me feel a lot better about it already. Money can be made in 29203 but it's not easy. 

    My recommendations are to:

    1) Hire a professional PM that deals exclusively well with lower end rentals (I can recommend a couple). That will make a huge difference and you may be able to get a discount when providing that many units.

    2) Ask for very, very aggressive terms for the first couple of years. Maybe interest-only for the first 3 years at 2-3%. It will take some time to transition over and there will be a steep learning curve with all of these new properties and you'll likely value the cash flow more than principal reduction. 

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2017 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Will Gaston:

    @Robert A. Okay that makes me feel a lot better about it already. Money can be made in 29203 but it's not easy. 

    My recommendations are to:

    1) Hire a professional PM that deals exclusively well with lower end rentals (I can recommend a couple). That will make a huge difference and you may be able to get a discount when providing that many units.

    2) Ask for very, very aggressive terms for the first couple of years. Maybe interest-only for the first 3 years at 2-3%. It will take some time to transition over and there will be a steep learning curve with all of these new properties and you'll likely value the cash flow more than principal reduction. 

    @Will Gaston that would probably be the best course of action for me, the benefit would far outweigh the expense with this type of niche. I would love some recommendations!

    Update on the status, the seller is waiting to get in touch with the co-owner of some of his properties. So I won't have any new information until this Friday, unfortunately. So now its time to play the hurry up and wait game, which is fine with me. 

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Robert A. I'd recommend Patton Properties for lower income and/or Section 8. Also, have heard good things about Howard Armstrong, but have never worked with him personally.

    @Christopher Bunge or @Andrew R. Lucas any suggestions?

  • Real Estate Broker · Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 148 posts · 110 votes
    8y

    Will, 

    I have been sending people to APM Realty Group recently and, as the man who jumped off the Empire State Building said as he passed the 50th floor, "So far, so good!".
    Tim Cebulski is the guy there and they manage over 300 doors. I have sent them at least 40 this year so I have high hopes.  Certainly worth talking to him.
    I know Patton has been around a long time and I think they are a good choice as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.