1 commercial or 2 residential loans - what to consider?

1 commercial or 2 residential loans - what to consider?

Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2015 · 205 posts · 66 votes

Hi BP!

Im offering on 2 duplexes that are next door to each other, owned by the same seller.  When looking at financing options what I've found is that I can do a single commercial loan which would be a 5 yr balloon amortized over 20 yrs or two residential 30 loans.  The rate on the commercial loan would be in the 5% range and I am not sure yet on what the rate will be on the residential.  I am guessing it will come back in the 4% range.

I am trying to decide which way to go here and I would love some insight from the community on what things to be taking into consideration for the decision.

Things I've thought of so far are:

- Loan costs - originating 1 should be cheaper than originating 2.

- Refinance costs - I'd have to refi in 5 years and who knows where rates will be

- Refinance risk - related to the bullet above, but there is risk around not being able to refi at all due to economic conditions in the future

- I can get the commercial loan in my LLC name. Not really sure if there is some benefit to this

- The commercial loan wouldn't count against my total allowable fannie mae loans

- Hassle - this is hard to quantify, but dealing with 1 loan just seems easier overall 

What are some other things I should be thinking about here?  I would be interested to hear any positive and negative risks that I'm failing to include.  

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

0Reply
17 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Brad E.

    It seems like you hit most of the pros and cons.

    Some other things I would consider include ease of selling the properties in the future. It will be easier to sell them individually. 

    I would personally use residential financing in your situation because the 30 year amortization at a fixed interest rate will mean higher cash flow and security against rate hikes. The fact that you have to pay two sets of closing costs is relatively minor compared to those things.

  • Investor · Athens, GA · Member since 2015 · 205 posts · 66 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Anthony Gayden !

    I totally overlooked not being able to sell them individually when I get ready to exit.  That's a big one.  

    Also I just heard back on the residential rate and it is also 5.5%. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.