How Do You Have Time to Be So Active on BP?!

How Do You Have Time to Be So Active on BP?!

Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes

Ok time for a reality check. I'm busy. You're busy. We're all busy! And we're all on BP. Some are learning from others, some are sharing their knowledge with others. But all of you are spending time here.  And some of you are spending an extraordinary amount of time here.

So my big question for you is this: how do you possibly have time to be so active on BP?! I'm genuinely curious to hear how much time per day or week do you spend on BP, and how do you fit that in with everything else you have going on. Thanks!

14Reply
173 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

I actually consider posting on BP to be a part of my job.  Roughly 2/3 of my business now comes from here.  If I dont spend time here, then Id need to spend time and money on other lead generation activities.  

See this reply in the discussion

114 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tairsa MathewsPro Member
    Orem, UT · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    That's awesome Chris! I'm new to BP so I just sent an invite to connect. Orem is great!  Although we probably won't be here a ton longer ourselves. 

  • Attorney · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2015 · 345 posts · 358 votes
    8y

    This is a great question. And the responses are very earnest. 

    For me, as a real estate lawyer and an investor, I unfortunately dont make time to check into BP very often. 

    At one time, I spent more time here and it followed that I had dozens of clients who were REI in California coming from BP. Then I became the highest rated real estate attorney on Yelp for Santa Clara county, & Santa Cruz county. Then I became the recommended real estate attorney for Apple employees. (Not bragging, just explaining.)

    I like to check in on BP, to pay it forward. People on here give incorrect legal advice. Some comments I read really make me cringe. That discourages my participation because i dont want to be correcting or arguing with anyone. 

    Lately, it's about once every few weeks, or months. I admit that I'm still addicted to Facebook. The idea of using BP for my social network is intriguing. 

  • New to Real Estate · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2014 · 172 posts · 66 votes
    8y

    I have a desk job, where I'm online for 8 hours a day....I just keep BP up in the background and post when I can. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Jenifer Levini very poignant response. I joined about a year ago and was full-in with BP, but then my rehabbing activities took off and something had to give. All about priorities and balance.

    Interesting comments about the accuracy of information being shared on BP. While there's a LOT of very helpful information, one does wonder at the motives and quality of some of the postings. Just like the media struggles with sometimes, I've often wondered how many people innocently latch on to inaccurate material found on BP, then pass it on as fact, and then the cycle repeats. Interesting concept.

    At any rate, congrats on your success.  And thanks for sharing your perspective.

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I started off posting at the suggestion of one of our clients. I thought it might be a good way to learn more about advanced strategies and for me to answer questions about self-directed IRAs and 401ks. It doesn't take too much to time to fire off a quick reply, but I do wish I had time to really dive into more of the endless information available. 

  • Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2016 · 73 posts · 48 votes
    8y

    I find myself drawn here whenever I have free time in my day. Its such a hive mind for knowledge 

  • Flushing, NY · Member since 2013 · 221 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    I spend about 2 - 3 hours a day here on BP. I don't think of it as time consuming at all. Its an investment for my future and for my family. I invest time helping others find properties at steep discount, helping sellers sell their homes when they are in really bad situations, build equity for myself and make more money other than working a 9 - 5 with a six figure income. Plus the people here are awesome! Most I've met and done business with are honest down to earth.
     

    If that's not worth it then I don't know what is. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 643 votes
    8y

    Hey @Chris Jensen - this is going to be SUPER cliche...but everyone has 24 hours in a day.

    It comes down to priorities.

    If you want to help build community, provide value, look for advice, tap into the brightest brains in real estate, meet business partners, meet best friends, grow your business, and soak up invaluable knowledge,  you'll be on Biggerpockets often. If you don't care about those things, you'll be on here less.

    Guess where you'll find me on Friday nights instead of the local bar? Biggerpockets.

    -Tyler

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 211 posts · 144 votes
    8y

    @chris Jensen,

    It is not that life becomes more hectect after you retire , it is that you rediscover freedom and living life being more stress free, I mean if you are lucky enough to be able to live life not absolutely needing the income that a job provided you week in and week out. There comes this new found joy of simply living and your enthusiasm comes back, your passion blossoms like a warm fuzzy feeling inside of you, you feel joy again and that make all of the difference in the way you experience life and how you respond to it. 

    It is like being rejuviinated, once you begin to feel it I mean, a new found energy that is all positive in your life. Maybe you find that less money is coming in but also a lot less money is going out, no car payment, no insurance payment, all my medical care and medicines are covered by the VA for me , being a veteran, my house is paid off so no more rent or house payment to make. If I want a better house I simply save up money and improve the one I already have that is all paid off. If my wife wants a new car or motorcycle , here go out and find one and pay all cash for it. Need a doctor or a dentist? Now days that's like going down to Mcdonald's to buy a hamberger, no sweat. We find we laugh a lot more now days. Our kids are all grown up and married , starting their own families not but hey!! there is always a child that need love and care so we go down to the nearest adoption center , plenty of wonderful young faces to bring a smile to and care from us is voluntary , not mandatory. Sometimes when I feel I want to buy a new hat or a new pair of shoes and I alk out our front yard gate and going down the street to get to the market which is about a 15 minute walk from our house, a neighbor pops out to greet me and tells me they cannot afford to buy their kid a new schools uniform this year, not problem I pull out my money and tell them,"here go buy your kid a new school uniform" . I mean all I have to do is wait about another 2 weeks and I will have money again from my retirement pay. There are a lot more smiles around my life both inside and outside of my home. It's like my nerves are getting a chance to relax and heal again. heheheheehehe

    I am finally able to get to those things I just loved but had to constantly put on the back burner.

  • Ellis HammondPro Member
    Investor · Leawood, KS · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 108 votes
    8y
    @chrisjensen Made a goal yesterday to post once a day to a thread! I’m typing on the app right now which is updated and a lot better than it used to be. Take the challenge with me?
  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Gilbert Dominguez, sounds just wonderful. Ok if I live vicariously through you? Have an amazing weekend.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Ellis Hammond, oooh that's tempting. Afraid I'm gonna need to pass. Just way too much going on. But I like that you're setting goals. Keep hammering hard, and I know you'll go far. Stay hungry!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen it all depends on my schedule. I have sometimes managed to get on BP daily for a month or longer. Sometimes I go for a week without and almost forget it because I'm busy with other things. I am trying to build a new morning routine that will include 30 minutes of BP. Regular presence helps me learn and it can produce some new friendships and income.
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Turlock, CA · Member since 2018 · 226 posts · 147 votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen, thank you for the encouragement! I am just ready to buy something but I have listened to too many podcasts that have drilled into my head go with the numbers! We have put 4 offers in this year but did not counter offer because the numbers did not work. I am trying to keep emotions at bay to make sure I don't do anything too stupid on my first deal :) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.