How Do You Have Time to Be So Active on BP?!

How Do You Have Time to Be So Active on BP?!

Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes

Ok time for a reality check. I'm busy. You're busy. We're all busy! And we're all on BP. Some are learning from others, some are sharing their knowledge with others. But all of you are spending time here.  And some of you are spending an extraordinary amount of time here.

So my big question for you is this: how do you possibly have time to be so active on BP?! I'm genuinely curious to hear how much time per day or week do you spend on BP, and how do you fit that in with everything else you have going on. Thanks!

14Reply
176 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

I actually consider posting on BP to be a part of my job.  Roughly 2/3 of my business now comes from here.  If I dont spend time here, then Id need to spend time and money on other lead generation activities.  

See this reply in the discussion

114 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ken NyczajPro Member
    Investor · Grasonville, MD · Member since 2017 · 453 posts · 415 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen first thing in the morning, before the day gets away from me
  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 485 posts · 384 votes
    8y

    I’m with @Russell Brazil and many others here.  Spending time on BiggerPockets is a must, since it’s a very focused tribe of people wanting to do business which happens to be commercial multifamily real estate. It comes natural to spend time here on a regular basis or in phases, since, as a syndicator, I would otherwise have to spend more money on advertising and marketing in channels less targets and effective.

    Where else would I find such a focussed group of people wanting to invest their private capital into my projects to improve their yields and gain equity in a business secured by tangible assets? And as quite a few heavy hitter bloggers here never get tired pointing out is that their time spent here comes back 10 X in terms of new and very fitting relationships.

    Yes, it takes time. Everything has a price, one way or another. It might be time to consider investing a monthly budget for a social media manager/assistant who can help you buy back some of that precious time and help you with managing keywords, marketing, emails and getting your message out there. Just know that this too takes time before you will see any results worth talking about. But as the saying goes: “Dig your well before your thirsty.”

    Stay on it, increase your income streams to leverage and outsource as much as possible at any given time and never give up! No matter the circumstances. All the best to you, Ken ;-)

  • Realtor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen I'm sure more than half of us are pooping as we reply to one another... well at least us men because girls still dont poop!
  • Real Estate Broker · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @David Cruice YES!! Exactly, I think the same way. Love it.

    @Chris Jensen it’s part of my morning routine...like a previous answer, it’s part of my job (and I look forward to it everyday to see what’s going on, being discussed, etc).

  • Realtor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 184 posts · 71 votes
    8y
    @David Cruice Amen to that!
  • Rental Property Investor · Havelock, NC · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen

    I have found that following the Question: "Do you have 15 minutes?". It help me take time to allow for other things and be flexible.  I limit the amount non market building Social Media and place emphasis on building towards dreams and goals. BP is normally part of that.  I also agree with @Mark H. that focusing on a few areas of the forums will help you get the greatest benefit. 

    Take a passion, find out why, and convert the dream to a realtity. Make your daily effort or using time to build towards a dream.

  • Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2013 · 264 posts · 104 votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen Busy pahhlease (we call that the 'B Word' in my house hack).  

    Haven't had cable in 4 years.  

    Job is close enough to bike commute...... (workout + commute in one shot)  

     I can type this post out as slowwwllllyyyyy asssss iiiiii wwwwaannnntttttttt ;-) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookhaven, MS · Member since 2017 · 186 posts · 108 votes
    8y

    I don't waste my time watching television or on most social media platforms. The Bigger Pockets community helps me with loads of information that I have used to continue to grow my business. And if I can help some others along the way then even better.

  • Madisonville, LA · Member since 2018 · 125 posts · 71 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen These little smartphones have brought efficiency to another level. Breaks, lunch etc allows for alot of opportunity to check on these things
  • Lender · Newark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 695 posts · 252 votes
    8y

    I've been thinking the same recently, I just started making it a habit as I've meet most of my network here and wouldn't have started my investing career if it wasn't for this site. Just dedicate 15 minutes a day at the same time and answer a few posts here and there. Sooner a later you'll be on here for an hour a day.

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I make time for it. It's part of marketing our company (and I learn a lot about all facets of RE too). We get a lot of referrals from people on the site. It is kind of like an exercise routine - I spend 20 minutes a day on BP whether I have the time or not. 

  • New to Real Estate · Maplewood, NJ · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen It’s part of my REI university requirements to get my degree! LOL But really, being new at realestate I make it my business to jump on here at least twice a day for about 45 mins to an hour. I come here for education, inspiration, accountability and networking! I can’t wait to start new relationships and actually start getting deals through here. I’m also looking forward to sharing knowledge that i will acquire as I go through my journey as a REI. I’m currently on maternity leave, so I find time between feedings, diaper changes and nap times. Sometimes I’m up at 2-3 in the morning... whenever I can find time. Everyone here is amazing and so much information that it almost becomes an addiction. But if you must have an addiction, I think this one would be the one to have! Here’s to a great rest of the year everyone!
  • Rental Property Investor · norfolk va · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Anna Buffkin wow you’re a superstar mom and wife, it’s inspiring to read your post and all the things you take care of, you’re awesome. And to top it off you still make time to post on BP.
  • Ayne C.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 251 posts · 124 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen I'm a homeschooling mom of 3 that is nursing a baby. Bp, podcasts, valuations and business books are my sanity. All accomplished in tiny spurts. Definitely not as effective as blocking time and focus on one thing at a time, but it is what it is. It leaves me no time for TV (that's fine with me) and it leaves me no time for attending REIA meetings, unfortunately. Also youngest doesn't sleep thru the night.
  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Ayne C., wow you have a lot going on! Your kids will be forever blessed by the time you're spending with them. What an example! And thanks for sharing how you fit it pursuing your REI passion with everything else. Keep it up!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen I consider going on BP and reading and learning a big part of my day. Always walk away for BP with another free tool to add to my tool box. A ton of people I know are hours a day watching TV and playing on social media site like Facebook snap chat yadda yadda yadda. I see that as a waste of time. I'd rather come here and read and learn. Always comes in handy. Thanks to all on Bigger Pockets.
  • Cary, NC (Cary) · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen Every time I get on BP I learn something valuable.
  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 666 votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen those that do not have time do not do real estate full time, that is the simple answer. R/E is  what I do for a living.  I typically respond back to someone in less then 5 minutes,and NEVER not pick up the phone.  Communication and availability is the key .   When someone tells me they have something for sale, or want to buy and I ask about it/ provide info  , then 2, 3 , 4 5 days go by that indicates to me this is a part time gig for them, and I simply move on. Communication, and customer service are  essential ... All the best to you .

  • Rental Property Investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    I really like to jump on to Bigger Pockets to hopefully learn something new or get a new perspective that I may not have thought about.  I fully stopped going on Facebook and other social media because I was just wasting time.  I jump on and hopefully pick up a tip or a connection that may help with my investing.  I always seem to pick up something.  However, I usually stay for just a few minutes maybe 10-15.  

  • Buford, GA · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 13 votes
    8y
    Personally I replaced the time I was wasting on other social media platforms looking at high performance vehicles and basketball clips! Lol All jokes aside BP is a outlet of information and the majority of the people here are refreshingly helpful and willing to share knowledge gained. In a world where distraction by diversion is the norm BP is a refuge for those that get it. The better question in today’s changing economic climate for me is how more people don’t make more time for BP. Have a great day.
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    I wake up in the middle of the night and often get online. Other times, it's early mornings, or during the day when I have time to kill. I cannot impress enough the value of participating on the forums, and networking with other BP members. Anything you ever need to know about real estate, and some you never imagined is here!! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Darius Tracy, tweetable quote "BP is a refuge for those that get it."  Nice!  Thanks for the perspective.

  • Rental Property Investor · Havelock, NC · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    @Jim Sestito

    I like your Mustachian Philosophy.

  • Tairsa MathewsPro Member
    Orem, UT · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen I think it's important to be active so you can learn and network. I have set the goal to respond to one thing per day. I'm only able to get on for about ten minutes per day but I feel part of the community even with that small amount.
  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Tairsa Mathews, great idea about setting a daily goal around participating (giving and taking) in BP. Not so big that it's unattainable but big enough that it stretches you. Thanks for the thought. BTW, I'm from originally from Orem. Fun to make that unexpected connection. Best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.