How Do You Have Time to Be So Active on BP?!

How Do You Have Time to Be So Active on BP?!

Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes

Ok time for a reality check. I'm busy. You're busy. We're all busy! And we're all on BP. Some are learning from others, some are sharing their knowledge with others. But all of you are spending time here.  And some of you are spending an extraordinary amount of time here.

So my big question for you is this: how do you possibly have time to be so active on BP?! I'm genuinely curious to hear how much time per day or week do you spend on BP, and how do you fit that in with everything else you have going on. Thanks!

14Reply
170 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

I actually consider posting on BP to be a part of my job.  Roughly 2/3 of my business now comes from here.  If I dont spend time here, then Id need to spend time and money on other lead generation activities.  

See this reply in the discussion

114 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Guy with Great Hair · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    since i started real estate more of my success stems from this website than any other activity by a long shot. Education and networking are what i consider to be the 2 most valuable actions you can take, and BP returns these in excess. Some of my now closest friends are people i met on BP. Its afforded me writing opportunities, i find deals on here, and much more. I think the question should be: if you are committed to real estate, how do you NOT find the time to invest to here?!!
  • Rental Property Investor · New Castle, DE · Member since 2016 · 376 posts · 158 votes
    8y

    Luckily my job has down time throughout the day so I take advantage when I can :)  Even if I don't have down time in the day, I take about 15 minutes or so at night to just read some threads and see what type of knowledge I can gain.  We all have time, but we must spend it wisely.

  • Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 351 posts · 273 votes
    8y

    I spend a lot of time researching properties for clients on the computer/mobile. When I get an alert for a topic I click over to read it, and if I think I can add something helpful I'll put in my two cents. It's self-serving, like any business if you don't promote it you will be out of business, but I also see so much bad information on the internet that it's hard not to participate. I cringe when I read some internet posts.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 239 posts · 177 votes
    8y
    For me personally if I hadn’t started spending time on BP when I first found the site I NEVER would have gotten where I am today, which still isn’t very far into my investing career, but farther than I ever would have been. It’s like a healthy addiction. I feel like if you pull out your phone on a down time and you immediately think of opening BP over let’s say, Instagram or Facebook, then your head is in the right place. Just my two cents.
  • Rental Property Investor · East Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen I would say I spend 1 to 2 hours per day here...not its broken up into 10-15 minutes at a time. You asked how we have the time and the best answer I could offer is that we tend to make the time for the things we genuinely enjoy. I love it when I read a post and something from it triggers me to start researching more details and read other articles and posts around the same topic. Also, the people here are terrific!!!!!
  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 34 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen I work a full time job but make use of my lunch breaks so I at least get in 5 hours of study. But because I have a time period I am trying to be investing full time, I’m up before work getting at least 30 minutes of time in. If you want it bad enough you’ll find time (sitting, waiting at an appointment or on the train to work).
  • Investor · Pacific City, OR · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    I enjoy reading and always learning more about real estate investing, so I'm always anxious to spend some time on BP.   You can always find time to do the things that you really enjoy, especially since you just have to sit in front of the computer or phone to do it.  Late nights I usually watch the podcasts, instead of watching some Netflix borefest.

    Throughout the day here and there, I'll check in and read some of the forum posts.

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen

    Like a lot of people on here, the time I put into the site (and it's forums) ebbs and flows for me due to my schedule but I try to make the time for it on a weekly basis at the very least. For me the purpose is two fold, the obvious one being it helps my company grow in a variety of ways (new contacts, brand recognition, etc) but it's also all about helping people which is something I've truly started to care more and more about as I've grown into my career. I think part of it has to do with reaching that point of success where you have to ask yourself, "what's next?"

    Also every forum post helps with getting the word out there for my book with BiggerPockets and podcasts with them, so that doesn't hurt either.

    Either way, even people who utilize BP for some of their lead gen will probably tell you it ends up starting out as work but becomes almost a hobby. Helping people gets addictive and it's in app form so it's almost hard for me to not look at it at this point!

    But one thing I didn't see mentioned in previous answers is I get someone to help with the workload. I doubt this will work for everyone but my son works for me and my company and over the years we've come to work together on BP and my writing for the site. He knows my "voice" as a writer and has a writing background. Then I have the Real Estate experience (not to mention I'm bad at typing), so it has turned into a pretty good fit! Now he can't do it all of course but he's more tech savvy and can help with finding relevant posts to respond to or with drafting answers to certain questions if they're not too deal specific, things like that. 

    So my advice is, find out what it is your after most on the site and get help to find it if you're too busy to do it all yourself.

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen So many have already shared my thoughts. This is a profound question, whether you meant it to be or not, which is shown by the uniqueness of each person's answer. 
    I'll add one more reason which I'm sure many can relate to as well. I feel fortunate to have a great deal of knowledge in a very specific niche that most investors don't know about--but should. I enjoy giving back and sharing that knowledge.

    So I get the notifications for cost segregation, etc. I can be there to chime in and help provide a detailed answer. 

    And like @Russell Brazil a good deal of business comes through BP. :)

  • Member since 2018 · 175 posts · 103 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Anna Buffkin:

    Stay at home mom.  

    Currently, my kids are in bed and my husband is sick and lying down.  I do a little accounting from home for my pre-children employer, but otherwise my job is caring for our twin 2 year old boys, managing the house, and our 8 rentals.  Being a mom is a full time plus job with a lot of random down time.  

    Also, my son, Logan is really clingy.  Sometimes I look at BP while he is engrossed in Pal Patrol glued to my lap.

    I listen to the podcasts at the gym as my YMCA has a good children's program in the morning.  Also 7 of our 8 rentals are about 1.5 hours away.  I sometimes listen to podcasts while me boys sleep on the way to go to one as needed.  My boys are going with me to look at a 4plex tomorrow.  They will probably sleep the whole way back while I listen to the new podcast.  I call my boys the junior partners.

     Where do you invest? I'm in York County.

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 45 posts · 21 votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen, great question. I’ve wondered the same myself at times. In the past, I’ve tended to lean on the “less active” side of social media and as such, I think I’ve got a bit of a steep learning curve here because it is such an amazing resource that I’m not tapping into it nearly as much as I probably should. I do like the suggestions to opt for BP instead of other social media, but I’ll admit, it’s still a challenge, especially working a 9-5, being dad and husband... I can’t remember who said it above, but being kind to the universe most certainly, in my humble opinion as well, bring some kindness back my way. I like to think a we are working on a better place for us all. 

  • Lender · USA · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 97 votes
    8y

    I consider it part of my business.  It's not a hobby for me its a marketing tool and also rewarding by helping others and getting help as well.

  • Westfield, IN · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    I so much connect with you because I am facing the same problem. My current job as a physical therapist does not have any connection with real estate and currently, I am spending 12-14 hours per day at work. What I have started doing is to find pleasure in learning more information in BP rather than spending time on Netflix or Facebook during my lunch hours. It gives me 20-30 mins every day. I have started allotting15 minutes in the morning and right after dinner as an unavoidable task. This 1 hour that I was unable to find all at once just a week ago, now I am finding very easily. And that is making all the difference to me at this time.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 221 posts · 188 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen. Because its part of networking and critically important to any serious RE investor
  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Dhaval Sheth, agreed! My day job is very demanding, I serve heavily in my community, and I never feel like I give enough time to my kids outside of work. So spending even 30 mins on BP comes at great sacrifice for me. We do what we can, right? Keep fighting the good fight my friend.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Logan Brown, from one busy dad and husband to another I hear you!  One day at a time, right?  And yes, giving much brings much.  Best of luck!

  • Westfield, IN · Member since 2017 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen That is correct! We do the best we can. Good luck to you too.
  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Yonah Weiss thanks for the additional perspective. Great to hear everyone's individual reasons and approach. And thanks for being so giving with the specific knowledge you have.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    I Have been here since the early years of the site, So I have had a lot of time to accumulate a high number of posts. 

    As someone else mentioned I don't spend time on other social media like facebook. I also don't spend time any more on my personal website. I guess I could also add I almost never watch TV. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Dave Van Horn great thoughts, thanks for sharing. I love that your son is able to work with you in your business ventures. My father did that with his father, and I've always thought it would be neat to have that experience with one/some of my kids. Way to go. And thanks for the advice. Hone in, dive in, get help if needed. Perfect.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2015 · 79 posts · 85 votes
    8y

    I put my kids to bed at 8:00, do a few chores and then check BP for an hour or so, then go check Realtor.com, Zillow.com or the BP marketplace for deals until I cannot keep my eyes open.  Last night I got to bed at 1:00am.  Up at 6:00 to head to work and do it all over again.  Kinda like Groundhog Day, I keep getting better.  Hopefully I help someone else out in the process.

    Mark

  • Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 300 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Spearman:
    Anytime I’m in the car going anywhere I’ll listen to the BP podcast. There is such a massive back catalogue, there is always something amazing to listen to. It’s a fantastic way of immersing yourself in that way of thinking and keeping it at the forefront of your mind, even if the noise from work is very loud.

    Then studying a thread or two over coffee in the morning takes care of the forum.

    Yet, there is still such a wealth here I feel I haven’t scratched the surface

     I can see how newbie investors get distracted because every time I search for a particular topic or area I suddenly get new ideas about where I'd like to go or what I'd like to do. Like I'll think, "I'm not interested in flipping," and then I read a success story and think, "Actually, maybe I am..."

    This is a fantastic forum! If only I could plug in my brain and download all the info :)

  • St. Louis, MO · Member since 2018 · 20 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    @Courtney M. I have started taking notes on my phone when listening to podcasts, there is really no other way to remember all of the great information that is shared! At least through the podcast app on the iPhone, you can pause and jump back 15 seconds fairly easily which helps when trying to write stuff down. 

  • Auckland, New Zealand · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 36 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Grant H.:

    @Courtney M. I have started taking notes on my phone when listening to podcasts, there is really no other way to remember all of the great information that is shared! At least through the podcast app on the iPhone, you can pause and jump back 15 seconds fairly easily which helps when trying to write stuff down. 

    Haha same. Constantly hitting the jump back to relisten to something. I'd have crashed the car if I actually started taking proper notes. Although I have managed to get most of the books into a note file. 

    Years worth of consumable information

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    How else is McRib International gonna scale to the stars?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.