How Do You Have Time to Be So Active on BP?!

How Do You Have Time to Be So Active on BP?!

Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes

Ok time for a reality check. I'm busy. You're busy. We're all busy! And we're all on BP. Some are learning from others, some are sharing their knowledge with others. But all of you are spending time here.  And some of you are spending an extraordinary amount of time here.

So my big question for you is this: how do you possibly have time to be so active on BP?! I'm genuinely curious to hear how much time per day or week do you spend on BP, and how do you fit that in with everything else you have going on. Thanks!

14Reply
174 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
8y

I actually consider posting on BP to be a part of my job.  Roughly 2/3 of my business now comes from here.  If I dont spend time here, then Id need to spend time and money on other lead generation activities.  

See this reply in the discussion

114 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    It's networking on a national level...on a lunch break or in pajamas on the couch.  Some of us have done a substantial amount of business through connections made on BP.

    Plus, self-awareness is important and posting gives you introspection.  And it publicly tests your dogma.

    There are a lot larger benefits to being active on BP than simply reading posts and gaining knowledge.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @Gilbert Dominguez, wait... so you're telling me that life doesn't slow down after retirement?  My life is so crazy, I'm praying it slows down if and when I can ever retire.  But I'm inspired by your attitude.  I've heard from so many people like yourself that some of their best, most fulfilling years occur after they're able to quit working because they have to and begin working because they want to.  Whether that happens in their 60's or 30's.  Nice, thanks for the perspective.

    And there's something to the simpler, old school, gut-based approach for getting through life before things got so complicated and technical!

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    @James Masotti, great thoughtful post.  Thanks for sharing your strategies around how you use BP.  I especially appreciate your thoughts on the value and purpose you have on BP and your approach to maybe sharing your own thoughts on your responses but then also including links to key references and resources.  Thanks for the perspective.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    1 hour in the mornings before work (with coffee). Listen to BP podcast anytime I'm in the car and during workouts. Hop on BP during any break or lunch at work. Try to get on here an hour after dinner. 

    It's like anything else that you deem important in life, you'll make time to do it. Work, family, eating, BP. Make a regular schedule and it's easier to stick to it. People say "I have no time"; "sorry I meant to call you back, but I was busy". Nope. You choose what to do with your time. If you choose not to do something or not to call somebody back, it's because it simply wasn't that important to you. 

  • Property Manager · NJ · Member since 2017 · 786 posts · 396 votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen time blocking (Disclaimer: As of late I'm not as active as id like to be as of late and I need to do a better job of this) seems to work best and considering BP to be a part of what you do is where i've seen the most success.

  • Attorney · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen as other have stated, I have replaced BP with all other types of social media, hyper-focusing on investing more time and effort into what I am determined to do. I check it every night before bed - and again in the morning - and usually when I am in the middle of my personal transition time when I arrive home after work and fighting Atlanta traffic for over an hour. I also listen to the podcasts while I'm commuting. The knowledge and connections here are invaluable, no other place I prefer to spend my time quite frankly.
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 354 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen BP has become my go to social media. I’m fairly new and have not taken the time to set up key word searches for the forums so I mostly stay engaged in the “trending” topics. I read throughout the day like when excel is slowly churning at my w-2 job or waiting for the slow kurig coffee maker at the office. I’m catching up on BP podcast right now so usually listen to 1-2 a day during the week either in the car or again, while working in excel during repetitive stuff (I have to pause them when my brain actually has to think about the work)...dreaming about building cash to a down payment on our next rental property. I also read the forums in the evenings after the kids are in bed.
  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 127 votes
    8y

    I believe BP is just beginning to scratch the surface as far as a social platform. BP just introduced BP Money Podcasts. They have a very loyal following and I can see BP growing into other industries with its foundation in Real Estate. I need to be better at spending MORE time on here and connecting with like minded individuals from surrounding areas. As stated by @Mike Dymski it is networking on a national level and business has never seen less borders in our lives. It will continue to grow, while technology is able to provide great investing opportunities with fewer location barriers (AKA Roofstock). I appreciate the positive attitudes, even though there are some trolls in here as well. In general, everyone is rooting for everyone and truly here to help others. Great question, fun thread to read.

  • Rental Property Investor · South shore, MA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    No one else in my life is as passionate about real estate as you guys are. Why would I go anywhere else?

    More diversity, more knowledge, more passion, and more giving back. It doesn't make sense NOT to spend a lot of time on this website. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 320 votes
    8y

    The mobile app is where it's at pimpin'!!  I love it but it's glitchy at times.

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen The same amount of time that we would spend checking Facebook and being nosey on our friends and family, is the same amount you can spend on BP educating your self on Real Estate. Its really all about mindset and where we believe we should apply majority of the time we already spend on social media. I spend most of my time feeding my brain with real estate, and life knowledge. 

    Not so much on Facebook lately unless its something that will help me grow my portfolio and mindset... ive found my self not wasting any time.. because it is just that TIME... which cant be bought and is priceless... so think about where you want to spend it and apply it...its called a mindset Shift...

  • Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2018 · 235 posts · 300 votes
    8y
    I'm an outside salesperson, I work from home and travel to see my accounts. I have a lot of windshield time so I also am able to listen to a lot of the BP podcasts.
  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Between naps I like sharing bad advice in an attempt to give back. LOL

    Some of us have more friends on BP than in real life it seems. Certainly more friends that 'get us' RE-wise.  So like to browse and see what my friends are posting about.  The dashboard now that shows us what our colleagues are doing has kept me around I'd say.   

    I'm often amazed at how much more I used to post and what used to interest me.  An old thread from 3 or 4 years ago will come back and I was seriously getting into topics I don't bother with anymore like LLCs, tax strategies, etc.  We change and grow I guess.  Good discussion!

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    first person I thought of was @Jay Hinrichs hahaha

    I think you have at least one comment on every BP post. certainty every trending one ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen Pretty much all my social media time is now BP or some Facebook. I don’t do twitter or Instagram. Most of my posts have happened in the last year. I’m with @Steve Vaughan. I need to spend less time on LLC discussions lol
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chris Jensen:

    how do you possibly have time to be so active on BP?!

    I have been so super incredible successful in my REI career that I have earned net of 1.7 trillion dollars in only 6 years. I then realized I wanted to share my knowledge to help other people become successful in REI. I thought of traveling from city to city, hosting hundreds of people in small convention halls (who would pay a nominal fee, natch) but I don't want to travel constantly. Instead, I decided to spend 11 hours a day disseminating my vast wisdom here on BP, and save you all the fees associated with attending my traveling school of REI.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bettendorf, IA · Member since 2017 · 187 posts · 256 votes
    8y

    Sounds like BP needs to be careful... pulling so many daily users away from Facebook, Instagram and Twitter might get the big dogs snarling!

  • Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 215 posts · 129 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Chris Jensen:

    @Mark H. so your personal situation allows you to spend lots of time on here, but you narrow your focus so you can dive deep. Nice strategy. There's a lot going on at BP... I'd be curious to know which forums you find most helpful.

     It wasn't so much meant to be a narrowing of my focus.  It's just there's a lot of forum categories that I didn't feel like applied to my situation.  Here's the ones I read every time I have the app open:

    • Buying & Selling Real Estate Discussion
    • General Real Estate Investing
    • Landlord Forums & Rental Property Questions
    • Renters Discussion
    • Starting Out

    I will also sometimes read through these if I have time and have finished the others:

    • Do it Yourself
    • Home Owner Association (HOA) Issues & Problems Forum
    • Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Forums
    • Personal Finance Forum
    • Real Estate Crowdfunding Forums

    I also keep a general eye on my state and local area sub forums, but I haven't figured out how to do that from the app, so it gets done somewhat rarely when I bring BP up on the computer.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    1) no job

    2) I don't Capitalize The First Word Of Each Thing I Say  :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 16 votes
    8y
    @Chris Jensen At least an hour at night after my day job and then a couple hrs over the weekend so I can ramp up my knowledge, network and get leads. As someone else pointed out , far more constructive that mindlessly thumbing through instagram, Facebook or Twitter !!
  • Auckland, New Zealand · Member since 2018 · 80 posts · 36 votes
    8y
    Anytime I’m in the car going anywhere I’ll listen to the BP podcast. There is such a massive back catalogue, there is always something amazing to listen to. It’s a fantastic way of immersing yourself in that way of thinking and keeping it at the forefront of your mind, even if the noise from work is very loud. Then studying a thread or two over coffee in the morning takes care of the forum. Yet, there is still such a wealth here I feel I haven’t scratched the surface
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Chris Jensen time management. It only takes me ten minutes a day or so to jump on here. I also don't check Facebook or any other social media, watch tv often, etc.

    I do run two businesses, manage 20 rental units, have a social life and a relationship. If it matters to you you'll make time!

  • Attorney · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    @Brian Ellis Haha Yes! I can talk Real Estate all day, but friends and fam? Not so much of course . . . just a lot of silence and glazed-over eyes, lol
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    I love participating and sharing on the forums here.
    It helps me to learn, network and understand what others are doing.

    One should design their systems in such a way that they have sufficient time for participating in activities which add more value to oneself and others.

    80% of the results come from 20% of the work you do.
    So, please keep looking for that 20% and don't try to do everything you possibly can.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    I spend a lot of time every day in the forums absorbing the knowledge of RE Rockstars like Master Yoda @Jay Hinrichs. I’m extremely grateful for all the mastermind contributors that continue to take the time to post even though they may perhaps be heavily involved in their own day-to-day business. Let me be but one of countless others to express my endless gratitude for all of your vast wisdom and time tested, no non-sense guidance. Cheers!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.