Took an Option out of a resturant!

Took an Option out of a resturant!

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes

Well, I went to a resturant to get some lunch earlier. It was to go order so I sat at the bar while they got if ready. Struck up a conversation with a guy who walked in and we got to real estate. Well, he just got a divorce and wanted to sell his house, 3600sq ft 5bdr, 2 1/2 bath, on 5 acres 12 miles out of town up a US highway and two miles down a county road. He wanted 145K initially saying it was remodeled 4 years ago. I asked what kind of counter tops it had and he said granite. After talking for about thirty minutes, I took an option at 128K for 60 days. Borrowed a legal pad (I was in the wrong car) and a pen and wrote the option right there and two employees signed it for me right there. He says the wife already signed it over. 128K is roughly the payoff.

I don't need 60 days, but he mentioned how long it takes to get a loan since he refied the house a year ago last January. His loan included closing costs and he paid off some other bills, which means it was a cash out refi at 75% LTV!

Sight unseen, and he didn't need any real money today, so it was 100 bucks, other good and valuable consideration.

I know the area and there are some nice homes out there and 5 acres is hard to find close to town. I have a feeling I did good! It's just an option and I will go look Thursday when he is off work. Oh, it has a 18X36 shop with electric and slab floor.

Had I been in the other car, I would have had a contract!
Doesn't happen often, but if you don't talk about real estate, it will never happen!

5Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
15y

So, there's an answer to the question someone asked recently about "do you tell people what you do?" Absolutely! You never know what will come of it. Usually, nothing. But every now and then, something good.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Don't want you to think the deal took 30 minutes, that's how long it took to talk him into giveng an option, the whole thing took about an hour and twenty minutes, they kept lunch warm and I was late getting it home!

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    well done bill....what are your plans for the house??

    quick aside---i was under the impression you weren't actively investing...not sure why...i thought you spent your time on here criticizing the younger generation and warning people of the SAFE ACT!! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    15y

    So, there's an answer to the question someone asked recently about "do you tell people what you do?" Absolutely! You never know what will come of it. Usually, nothing. But every now and then, something good.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Yes, that's what I enjoy doing, giving everyone heck! LOL

    I have no idea what I will do with it! Probably flip it as is. I do have a brother that moved from Kansas City down here and he needs more room, he might want it. If not, probably make some calls and get rid of it making it worth my while.

    Actually, I don't do much, but when I get the urge or something slaps me in the face, I'll snag something. I really think I went in for the kill on this just as a challange sorta, knowing it was probably a deal, but haven't seen it yet either!. It's fun!

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Bill, that's awesome. Congrats!

    Everytime I have been to a restaurant, I have walked out with only food and nothing but food. :-)
    Clearly, I am not going to the right restaurants.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    You have to go someplace other than McDonnalds! Try Houlihans! LOL!

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y

    Would have been funny if you were discussing this and got the option in the mens room doing #2 in the stalls :mrgreen:

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Geeeez James, I'm good but that's really pushing it!

    Called my brother and he's not interested, he wants something in town and has narrowed it down to a couple subdivisions.

    So guess I have calls to make. I'm thinking I'll assign the option. I'll tighten things up tomorrow.

    Basically I told the seller that I'd try to take it off his hands one way or another. He is aware that I'm not moving in the place. He wants to move from the area this fall at the latest and he is motivated, basically walking away. He did not want the hassel of listing and paying commissions and having open houses if he could just go to a closing.

    As Jon said, if you don't talk RE deals nothing will happen, while this has happened to me before (falling into deals one way or another) if you meet people it will never happen.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Mr_Investor:
    Would have been funny if you were discussing this and got the option in the mens room doing #2 in the stalls :mrgreen:

    And he would have had to write it up on TP instead ... :lol:

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by Mr_Investor:
    Would have been funny if you were discussing this and got the option in the mens room doing #2 in the stalls :mrgreen:

    And he would have had to write it up on TP instead ... :lol:

    Good thing they had paper, I hate having holes in a contract.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Financexaminer:
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by Mr_Investor:
    Would have been funny if you were discussing this and got the option in the mens room doing #2 in the stalls :mrgreen:

    And he would have had to write it up on TP instead ... :lol:

    Good thing they had paper, I hate having holes in a contract.

    But the suggestion from James would have had you using a brown color in the writing ...

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y

    OMG look what I started :mrgreen:

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    IT'S GONE! 134K, Option Assigned, check in hand, gone to the bank!!!! LOL I LOVE IT!

    Saw the property, had about five phone calls. Narrowed down my five prospects, 3 were out of pocket real quick. One left after thinking about it. The other I thought was also out then he called back.

    He had looked three times with the seller. Called me last night and said he'd take it. Just finished with him.

    Now I remember why I liked real estate! LOL

    6K about 4 hours and nothing really to write off on the deal, bummer! Fish in a barrel! Later

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2009 · 271 posts · 52 votes
    15y

    Great job and quick deal man,what a good story too!

  • Investor · McKinney, TX · Member since 2009 · 405 posts · 160 votes
    15y

    Not even looking and a deal just drops in your lap. Congratulations on turning it over so quick!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    Thanks, deals like this or at least this easy usually happened about 4 times a year, not often, when I was going full guns. There were two aspects here, one is that due to a divorce the seller was very motivated to almost walk away, the other was knowing several players.
    The seller had the opinion that he would have had a realestate commission and it would have taken longer, so it's a win-win-win.

    This would never have happened if I had not opened my mouth. So as Jon was saying, talk up what you do every chance you get. Good luck!

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Congratulations Bill.

    Talking about what we do can be rewarding.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y

    Man Bill you should teach how to flip options.

  • Real Estate Investor · Rockaway Beach, MO · Member since 2008 · 29 posts · 8 votes
    15y

    Fantastic Story Bill! Keeps the rest of us optimistic and looking for those deals.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.