I found my NOD list now what do I do with it?

I found my NOD list now what do I do with it?

Investor · Yucaipa, CA · Member since 2011 · 162 posts · 232 votes

I just learned how to retrieve the data at the hall of records. I have learned the basics of it and now that I am able to develop an NOD list, what are some strategies that can land me a deal once I have the address of the NOD. Obviously I know about mailers, call them, door knocking and all. Even though i know about ways to reach your target market I have never actually done it, and i know the devil is in the details. So what I'm searching for is an investor who uses these NOD lists on a regular basis, and if its a good way to land some deals. Any advice on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

0Reply
77 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
14y

Great question.

NODs have a great motivation to sell. Some are still in a state of denial. However some are extremely motivated to sell. The big problem is that the list is easy to obtain and you’ll have a ton of competition for the prospects attention. Which is why I like the 90 mortgage late list.

Side note make certain you follow the California Foreclosure notification laws to the seller or the seller can unwind the deal and there is criminal penalties attached for not doing so. BTW the law is easy to follow so you should be fine.

Back to NODs; there are various strategies out there as too which type of motivated NOD seller you should prospect to.

I think there are 3 main types.

1) Highly over leveraged
2) Leveraged at 90-105% of Value
3) Equity NODs

Category 1 requires the ability to negotiate short sales. Which frankly is not that difficult once you get your feet wet on a couple.

Category 2 requires no negotiation with the lender however this is a buy and hold candidate which you'll be buying as a sub2, land contract or option. Hopefully not the option and reselling as a wrap, CFD or option. Maybe a seller second or sub2 completely.

Category 3 is the arena I think is worth playing in and is exciting... These are sub2 sellers which can either be flipped for instant gain or sold with a wrap... Both looks good from a bottom line standpoint and last month in California 1177 NODS had considerable equity, more than 25%, and they were in an area with a population base of 60k or better.

I like high population because it tends to translates in to a faster resell.

As for what to use to attract them... Whatever you can do to strike up the conversation to the opportunity. Naturally I like Yellow Letter Mail...

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Great question.

    NODs have a great motivation to sell. Some are still in a state of denial. However some are extremely motivated to sell. The big problem is that the list is easy to obtain and you’ll have a ton of competition for the prospects attention. Which is why I like the 90 mortgage late list.

    Side note make certain you follow the California Foreclosure notification laws to the seller or the seller can unwind the deal and there is criminal penalties attached for not doing so. BTW the law is easy to follow so you should be fine.

    Back to NODs; there are various strategies out there as too which type of motivated NOD seller you should prospect to.

    I think there are 3 main types.

    1) Highly over leveraged
    2) Leveraged at 90-105% of Value
    3) Equity NODs

    Category 1 requires the ability to negotiate short sales. Which frankly is not that difficult once you get your feet wet on a couple.

    Category 2 requires no negotiation with the lender however this is a buy and hold candidate which you'll be buying as a sub2, land contract or option. Hopefully not the option and reselling as a wrap, CFD or option. Maybe a seller second or sub2 completely.

    Category 3 is the arena I think is worth playing in and is exciting... These are sub2 sellers which can either be flipped for instant gain or sold with a wrap... Both looks good from a bottom line standpoint and last month in California 1177 NODS had considerable equity, more than 25%, and they were in an area with a population base of 60k or better.

    I like high population because it tends to translates in to a faster resell.

    As for what to use to attract them... Whatever you can do to strike up the conversation to the opportunity. Naturally I like Yellow Letter Mail...

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    @Michael- I have some sub2 props in Texas but have an opportunity and looking for more in Cali. Where do you get 90 day mortgage late lists?
    Thank you so much!
    Jennifer

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    13y

    Excuse the question but what is a NOD? I am new to the site.
    Thanks!
    MGJohn

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    13y

    p.s...if I like the idea...how would I find them in Florida?
    thanks again..
    MGJohn

  • Wholesaler · Memphis, TN · Member since 2011 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    John Thedford, an NOD is a notice of default on a mortgage therefore causing a foreclosure to start.This notice is public record and is normally sent I believe after being 90 days late on a mortgage. But I think that varies by state.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Easton, MA · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    So, say I have my 60 day NOD list (or any list for that matter)and I start mailing to it every month for say 6 months.

    Do I get an updated 60 day NOD list every following month and also mail to that?

  • Homeowner · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    @Michael Quarles

    Quick question, but what strategy do you use to market to NOD/90 Day Late Sellers?

    Do you use the traditional yellow letter approach, "Hi I am Robert and I want to buy your house for cash?" Or do you have another strategy to market to these leads?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.