Unique Property, Cash Purchase in WI. Is LOI enough?

Unique Property, Cash Purchase in WI. Is LOI enough?

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

I am considering a very unique property in Wisconsin. It is an off market deal, and the current verbally accepted offer has not put it in writing.

I want to get my offer in writing, so she doesn't start marketing it to anyone else.

Is a Letter of Intent enough, or does it need to be a formal offer? I'm not even sure how to find the legal description of the property... Where are my Wisconsin peeps?

0Reply
67 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

Hi @Mindy Jensen just fill out a WB-11 Offer To Purchase (google) and give me a call if you have any questions! Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Adam HofferPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · La Crosse, WI · Member since 2016 · 132 posts · 42 votes
    7y

    *Disclosure: I am not a lawyer*

    Mindy, Congratulations on the accepted offer. I am not sure whether a Letter of Intent is sufficient, but Wisconsin has a standard Residential Offer To Purchase (OTP) form. Below is a link to a fillable PDF of the form. The form is very straightforward and I would just recommend using it to get your agreement on paper. You only need the street address for the OTP. Once you have the accepted OTP, contact a local Title Company and they should be able to bring it across the finish line pretty quickly. Best of luck!

    https://county.milwaukee.gov/files/county/administrative-services/EconDev/Documents/WB-11ResidentialOffertoPurchase.pdf

  • Real Estate Coach · Appleton, WI · Member since 2018 · 66 posts · 61 votes
    7y

    Why won't they sign your offer in writing if they are willing to accept it verbally?  Have you given them your written offer for acceptance? I feel like I'm missing a part of your situation. 

    An LOI isn't strong enough to tie up the property. You can get the formal legal description and see the liens by having your title company run a search and hold though. I never trust the legal description on the tax sites because they always seem to be different on title once you receive it. Always go with what the title company reports if you need the true legal description for a note and mortgage (like for a private lender) or any other legal doc.

    Sounds like you might have a cool deal!  I hope it works out for you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Hammond, WI · Member since 2017 · 139 posts · 217 votes
    7y

    @Mindy JensenA LOI will certainly not be enough.@Mindy Jensen

    @Mindy Jensen a standard OTP like linked will work just fine, just simply modify for closing date, purchase price, contingencies etc.  I've bought a couple all-cash properties and this works best in my opinion.  Once you have the document signed you can send it to a closing company of your preference and set a date for closing and then you're done.  If it is in the central or western part of the state I have some closing companies that have done worked well for me if you're looking for a reference for one.  Congrats! 

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    Thanks for the comments. Sorry, they have currently accepted someone else's offer that was made verbally. That guy hasn't given a written offer, and his deadline was Monday.

    @Adam Hoffer, thanks for the link!

  • Superior, WI · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 30 votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen Sorry it didn't work out for you with the deal! In the future, most counties in WI have online GIS websites that you can search the property address and pull up all the information that the county has on it which will have the legal description. But, like @Jacci Konkle said though it's safer to have the title company do a quick search. The title company I work with doesn't charge me anything if I just want to know if there are any liens on it. Best of luck next time!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 304 posts · 462 votes
    7y

    Hire a lawyer and get him to do the title search and prepare the offer. An LOI carrys no legal weight. The few hundred dollars spent on the lawyer is well worth it. Get that offer to purchase signed before you do anything else.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2019 · 168 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    Steven Pool is right for all counties I am aware of not only in Wisconsin:  "

    In the future, most counties in WI have online GIS websites that you can search the property address and pull up all the information that the county has on it which will have the legal description. "

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    Oh my goodness. This thread is a mess. I have totally screwed up my description of the situation. Let me try again.

    There is a unique property that I would like to buy. It is off market, with a verbal offer from someone else. That verbal offer has been verbally accepted, but nothing is in writing.

    The offer was supposed to be in writing on Monday, and has not yet been presented. So I still have a slight chance. Fingers crossed. 

    Thanks to @Adam Hoffer for the link to the offer to purchase - I think I'm going to do that to make it even more solid than just a LOI.

    Huge thanks to @Steven Pool for reminding me of the GIS site. I lived in Wisconsin before, and just forgot about it.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Hi @Mindy Jensen just fill out a WB-11 Offer To Purchase (google) and give me a call if you have any questions! Good luck!

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Why don't you present your offer in writing anyway? That way if anything falls through, they have your offer in hand already. It shows the seller that you are serious. 

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    I agree with Kathryn. Send them a written offer .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.