Where do you get the cash for your down payments?

Where do you get the cash for your down payments?

Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 71 votes

I've bought a few houses this year and am out of my personal cash for down payments.  How do you keep the momentum going?

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y

@Andrew Smith every deal I buy helps me buy the next deal. My first property was a four unit in Lyons, that I was able to BRRR right away. The down payment from that, plus the sale of my home (live in flip) in Riverside, helped me buy a nine unit apartment building in Berwyn. From there I bought another fixer upper and then bought a 19 unit in Berwyn. Then a six flat in Cicero with a HELOC. You have to focus on buying value add so that you are always buying equity.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Andrew Smith I have found that a Line of credit on your current property will work. Also credit cards that have available cash. You can also try to find sellers that are motivated enough to be creative on the financing. Perhaps the seller holds the mortgage and you are able to take over payments and not put any money down. These are only a few examples of how you can keep going even without money in the bank.

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere · Member since 2019 · 104 posts · 48 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Smith depending on your equity in current properties you may be able to use them by either refinancing them into one portfolio loan or like @Alex Deacon said get a line of credit. 

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Alex Deacon How do you manage the credit card payments in conjunction with the mortgage payments, reserves, etc.? Do you just deal with little to no cash flow for a while? 

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Nicole Heasley Beitenman it always boils down to the numbers and does it make sense. If the margin is great enough it never matters where you get the money from or what interest rate you will pay. The challenge is finding the deals with enough margin. 

    I see too many investors put creative financing together that doesnt make sense on paper. They over leverage themselves and the deal fails. Just make sure you calculate all holding costs and other variables before doing any creative financing. Also as a rule of thumb you want to pay off those high interest loans as quickly as possible.

    Hope this was helpful and answered your question

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Andrew Smith every deal I buy helps me buy the next deal. My first property was a four unit in Lyons, that I was able to BRRR right away. The down payment from that, plus the sale of my home (live in flip) in Riverside, helped me buy a nine unit apartment building in Berwyn. From there I bought another fixer upper and then bought a 19 unit in Berwyn. Then a six flat in Cicero with a HELOC. You have to focus on buying value add so that you are always buying equity.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Warren:

    @Andrew Smith every deal I buy helps me buy the next deal. My first property was a four unit in Lyons, that I was able to BRRR right away. The down payment from that, plus the sale of my home (live in flip) in Riverside, helped me buy a nine unit apartment building in Berwyn. From there I bought another fixer upper and then bought a 19 unit in Berwyn. Then a six flat in Cicero with a HELOC. You have to focus on buying value add so that you are always buying equity.

    Never said it better. 100% agree with this statement. If you can't add value I won't buy the property.  

  • Davis, CA · Member since 2016 · 595 posts · 344 votes
    7y

    I use a HELOC on my house for downs and rehabs.

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 73 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Smith did you buy turnkey properties? are you familiar with the brrrr strategy? it lets you force appreciation so that you can do a cash-out refi and keep rolling over the same down payment money.  David Greene (podcast co-host) wrote the book on it.  It's excellent. 

  • Lender · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Zoran Stanoev

    Has a great suggestion that I see investors do all the time. Also, a HELOC on Primary home is used often, as well as just saving up any income that you can.

    @Andrew Smith

  • Real Estate Agent · Brentwood, CA · Member since 2018 · 285 posts · 225 votes
    7y

    @Zoran Stanoev - I agree. The book is excellent as well as the podcast (yes, I am biased) to learn about BRRRR. In my opinion, it may be the right strategy for @Andrew Smith to get some momentum going, and use it going forward.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Smith:

    I've bought a few houses this year and am out of my personal cash for down payments.  How do you keep the momentum going?

     Income man. It's all about generating that income. Rentals won't replace your down payment funds fast enough so you need to replace those funds by making excess income. Whether that is through a 1st, 2nd or 3rd job or side business is up to you.

  • Discovery Bay, CA · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    You can withdraw from your IRA but will get hit with a penalty and taxes. You can also borrow against your 401k if you have one.

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Partnerships. Find a deal and bring it to potential investors. A lot of folks don't have the time or inclination to manage it, but they don't want to be sitting on the sidelines. They have the football and are looking for an Aaron Rodgers to move it downfield. 

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • Professional · Parsippany, NJ · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 262 votes
    7y

    BRRRR STRATEGY!!!!!

  • Wholesaler · Buckeye, AZ · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    down payment assistance programs

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 469 votes
    7y

    Side business.  I have a W-2 as backup.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.