Rockford IL Multifamily Market

Rockford IL Multifamily Market

Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 9 votes

I've been looking and running numbers for multifamily properties in different markets around Southern WI and Northern IL (I live in Chicago). My grandparents have lived in Rockford for 25+ years and I started running numbers and it looks like it could be a decent market. My perception has always been that it's a little more blue collar but when I asked around, a lot of people have said it's a depressed area and I'm better off sticking to the Chicago suburbs. 

My grandparents live north of state and west of Mulford Rd, so that's the area I've driven around the most and it seems OK. Any areas I should stay away from? Anyone have experience investing around here and have good/bad experience?

0Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Loves Park, IL · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 16 votes
6y

@Rachel Stewart

I've worked for the city of Rockford for 20 years. If you have any questions on a particular street or area, send me a message.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2010 · 65 posts · 45 votes
    6y

    I have been investing in Rockford for 29 years. It is definitely blue collar. However, it has treated me very well

  • Rental Property Investor · Loves Park, IL · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    @Rachel Stewart

    I've worked for the city of Rockford for 20 years. If you have any questions on a particular street or area, send me a message.

  • Investor · TN · Member since 2014 · 508 posts · 167 votes
    6y

    @Rachel Stewart  

    The area you mentioned is a safer and more stable areas of Rockford. You mind find the crimemapping website handy. 
    https://www.crimemapping.com/m...

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Craig Wilcox I’ll look into this! I usually use Trulia’s crime map. Do you find this is better?

  • Investor · TN · Member since 2014 · 508 posts · 167 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Stewart:

    @Craig Wilcox I’ll look into this! I usually use Trulia’s crime map. Do you find this is better?

    I wouldn’t say better, but more detailed. Trulia gives a good overall picture by neighborhood but the crimemapping gives specifics including type of crime and vicinity to the house(s) you are buying (or own).

  • Rental Property Investor · Oconomowoc, WI · Member since 2016 · 996 posts · 431 votes
    6y

    Rockford is one of the better markets in the area.   Just be advised that Illinois has a fair amount of pro-tenant laws so be sure you research those before you decide to buy in Illinois.  Not insurmountable but you just don't want surprises. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2010 · 65 posts · 45 votes
    6y

    @Corina Eufinger

    I have found in Rockford, it is pretty landlord friendly. Evictions only take about a month from start to finish if you're on the ball and give your notice has right away. As for working with the city oh, I have found him to be very reasonable. I don't always agree with them, however we usually work things out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Caledonia, IL · Member since 2015 · 289 posts · 213 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Tim Jensen:

    @Corina Eufinger

    I have found in Rockford, it is pretty landlord friendly. Evictions only take about a month from start to finish if you're on the ball and give your notice has right away. As for working with the city oh, I have found him to be very reasonable. I don't always agree with them, however we usually work things out.

    I concur with Tim 100%  - reasonable to work with not obstructionists like other communities.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Corina Eufinger - I have a condo downtown Chicago that I’ve looked into renting, I could see how it could easily turn into a nightmare. Is there any Rockford specific things I should be aware of? Are there any good resources for getting familiar with these outside of picking through the official site?

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2010 · 65 posts · 45 votes
    6y

    @Rachel Stewart

    What information are you looking for?

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Tim Jensen I don’t have any specific questions but if it’s a topic I haven’t researched much about so I thought I better do some research.

    Although, coming from Chicago, I figure it can’t be much worse.

  • Rental Property Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Hi,   Rachel Stewart
      Rockford has a lot of great deals that cash flow great but no appreciation at all. Rockford has high taxes and poor schools,a lot of C and D areas, especially west of the river. Tenants there can be hard to deal with and are tough on apartments. You would need to find a great property management team to make it work. I invest in NE Rockford, the Loves Pk. and the Machesney park area. Higher rents and better tenants but its hard to find good deals there, Hope this helps and Good luck.

    JoeRandazzo

  • Wholesaler · Agoura Hills, CA · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    I get a lot of sub2s in Rockford constantly, Investors love it for the rental income. 

  • Wholesaler · Agoura Hills, CA · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    @Tim Jensen do you like sub2s 

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @Christian Napier:

    I get a lot of sub2s in Rockford constantly, Investors love it for the rental income. 


     I'm new in real estate investing. How would one begin the process of looking for a sub2? I currently live in Lombard, IL and looking for my first investment. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.