Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Betty Xin
Votes |
Househacking multifamily for Newbie in New Jersey

Betty Xin
Posted

Hello! 

My name is Betty and I’m a brand new aspiring real estate investor. I’m so thankful to have found the BP community. Nice to meet you all!

My boyfriend and I have been looking to settle down and purchase a home. At the same time, we hope to get started in real estate investing.

After listening to various BP podcasts and doing some research, it seems like our most viable option is to house hack a multifamily (duplex/triplex). We hope to have the privacy of our own homes while renting out the other units.

We moved to New Jersey recently, and are currently living in Union township. We are very new to New Jersey and real estate market. Are there any guidance or advice you could share with us in terms of:

1. Are there any preferable areas for multifamily investing in NJ? We are currently looking at any location that’s close to transportation to NYC since one of us work in the city and thought this could attract high-quality tenants (eg. white collars working in NYC).

2. If you house hack or invest in multifamily, what is the demographic of your tenants? We are having a hard time defining what type of tenants would be most inclined to rent in a multifamily.

3. Based on my research thus far, most multifamily properties are old and run-down. Does most multi-family require a lot of up-front rehab? 

4. If you own a multi-family, what are the long-term appreciation of this type of property? Does it appreciate at a slower pace relative to a single-family?

Lastly, is there a real estate agent you recommend? We currently do not have an agent and really hope to find an experienced agent to work with. 

If there’s any advice or resources you could share, that’s much appreciated!!

Thank you so much for your kind guidance!

Loading replies...